cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Received an text msg from pm for koodo 5gb plan

Samianauman
Mayor / Maire
I just received this text does anyone else received it

Public Mobile here with an exclusive offer for you. For an additional $10/month, upgrade to unlimited nation-wide minutes and get another 1GB of data at Koodo! That means you can get 5GB and unlimited nation-wide minutes for only $50/month on a Koodo monthly bill! Plus, you may be eligible for a $0 smartphone on Tab! Offer valid for xxxxxxxxxx only. Offer ends September 4th, 2017. Visit your nearest Koodo location at 2206765 ONTARIO INC. and show promo code xxxxxxx You're included on the list for Public Mobile offers and deals. To be excluded, reply unsubscribe. Conditions apply.
** I am not a Mod, please do not include any private info in a private message to me.**
168 REPLIES 168

peosteve
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen
Are you maxing out on your data? Do you make lots of calls across Canada? Do you need a new phone? Are you currently getting any rewards?

All the above are the questions that are relevant to making a decision...

Michael77
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire
I would like to know the real reason PM and Koodo are offering this plan? Does Telus want to get rid of the people on the Fall and FM promotion?

jeffster1970
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle
It's worth it if you do lots of LD and you prefer 5GB a month rather than the 12GB every 90 days.

For me, my current bill works out to $34/month factoring in rewards. I don't to referrals either, so nothing lost there with Koodo.

Not with the $16 extra a month...or $192/year plus tax. I came from FM, wanted the LTE and coverage. Didn't want to pay more, and I got what I needed.

I'm sure there is a slight savings if you consider a tab, but probably only $10/month, so it might be worth it for some.

jonathanlo83
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen
Is it worth it to jump the ship?

Emissary
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

For those who received this promo, when did your 90-day PM plan last renew? I wonder if the promo is targetting people who are up for renewal in the next couple of weeks. Mine just renewed at the end of July, so I would be throwing away prepaid money by switching any time soon. Perhaps that's why many of us haven't received the promo text.

texwood

I received this offer via text message on my phone as well this afternoon (I have last year's Fall $40/4GB plan).

I'll sleep on it but I don't see myself taking it at this time.

• My data usage pattern is rather irregular; when I was at Telus with 5GB plan there were a few months where I was under by 1-2GB, then another month I was over by a little over 1GB and got heavily penalized. Now with the 90-day period I can even out the data usage.
  • I have a few bucks off for autopay and forum participation, with my 1-year bonus upcoming.
  • If I move off to Koodo, my wife's account would lose her loyalty bonus (as she "refers" me).

Interestingly my wife's phone did not receive this offer today (she's also on Fall $40/4GB).

Michael77
I don't think I would leave PM for this offer. Koodo would have to sweeten the pot a little bit more. Maybe the same plan for around $45. 🙂

Fall Promo 2016 plan for me, upto 4 GB usage over 90 day, provincial calls only, 1 w minute call to US, 198 LD remaining.

No roaming, limited txt usage.

In Ontario.  have yet to receive offer, will decline anyway.

crazycolby
Good to know, I will stay with pm!

Oh and all this math is based on a huge assumption that rewards are working

My main account is broken and requires manual intervention on a monthly basis (one of the old oracles also had a broken account)

And sometimes if a reward is missed (eg your friend paid his bill late or let account get suspended since he was travelling out of country) you may have issues afterwards

So the Koodo plan is not a bad thing really

One thing I want to post for everyone to consider

People seem really fixated on the Public Mobile rewards system

Do not take this the wrong way; I have really benefitted from it as well

But the Koodo referral system is far more lucrative

On Public Mobile sign up 1 freind get $1 per month as a bill credit

On Koodo sign up 1 freind get $25 as a one time bill credit 

Best case scenario here to break even your friend needs to stay with Public over 2 years (and in the world of crazy promos who knows what the future holds)

ALSO Koodo often has DOUBLE referral programs happening throughout year (so you would get a $50 1 time bill credit)

In that scenario you are hoping your friend on Public stays for over 4 years

For most of the people out there the Koodo system will generate more reductions off your cellular bills

Koodo is also going to be launching their own "roam like home" type service soon from an article that I read.

Michael77

This promotion is being talked about in another post.

Michael77
@PhoneSeeker

I don't think it's because you don't have referral rewards.

They will be targeting other plans like the $40 2gig plan. They will offer a $50 3gig plan. This was confirmed by a Koodo rep.

PhoneSeeker

@ShawnC13 wrote:

What province is everybody that is getting this live in.  I haven't gotten this out in BC.  

I'm in BC as well. Did not get the offer. I'm on the Fall 2016 promo, no referral rewards, and I'm usually under 2GB/month in data usage.

PhoneSeeker

@kav2001c wrote:

Also has every person who received this offer been on the $40/4GB plan?

(Its kinda funny because I was discussing with @Luddite in the other thread how I thought the promo was far too successful at canabalising Koodo subscribers and Public was in an akward place now hence current promos)

I have not received this offer, and I have been on the Fall promo since it came out last October/November. Maybe it's because I don't have any referral rewards so they aren't losing money off me? Smiley LOL

@horemans Yes, many people, but not all, have received that offer. The elligibilty criteria are unclear. 

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

PhoneSeeker

@horemans wrote:
I paid $100 with rewards for my latest 90 day with 4 GB..
This would cost $150.
What is Public Mobile /Telus thinking?

Not everyone has as many rewards as you do. Some people may also want Canada Wide calling, Name Display (displays the name of the person/company calling rather than only the number), voLTE, customer service by phone or in-store, and an extra 1GB of data per month, all of which Koodo can provide for roughly $10 more (assuming you're only getting the standard $2/month autopay reward). 

horemans
I paid $100 with rewards for my latest 90 day with 4 GB..
This would cost $150.
What is Public Mobile /Telus thinking?

horemans
Reported on iPhoneincanada...
I have not received this, but.. what do we think?____
>>>
Telus-owned Public Mobile recently increased the price of their LTE plans while debuting slower and cheaper 3G plans. But now in an interesting move, the company looks to be trying to move customers away from their popular $40/4GB province-wide calling plan.

iPhone in Canada reader Xiaohan received the following text message this morning from Public Mobile, which entices with a $50/5GB Canada-wide calling plan—if he agrees to switch to Koodo and use the following promo code by September 4:

Public Mobile here with an exclusive offer for you. For an additional $10/month, upgrade to unlimited nation-wide minutes and get another 1GB of data at Koodo! That means you can get 5GB and unlimited nation-wide minutes for only $50/month on a Koodo monthly bill. Plus, you may be eligible for a $0 smartphone on Tab! Offer valid for XXX-XXX-XXXX only. Offer ends September 4, 2017. Visit your nearest Koodo location at MASTER COM. INC. and show promo code KOODO505GB. You’re included on the list for Public Mobile offers and deals. To be excluded, reply unsubscribe. Conditions apply.

Screenshot 2017 08 14 14 25 34

Public Mobile sent a follow up text to say “Public Mobile here again. To find your nearest Koodo location, please visit: https://www.koodomobile.com,” so it appears the original text which mentioned “MASTER COM INC.” was some sort of typo.

This appears to be a targeted offer to those on the company’s $40/4GB ($38/mo after AutoPay) plan, by getting them to pay more to switch to Koodo.

Anyone get this text? Are you going to ditch Public Mobile to switch to Koodo?

Michael77

Just got off the phone with Koodo and it looks like they have different promotions for different PM customers. They are offering the 5 gig $50 plan to the 4 gig $40 customers. I am guessing most people on the old LTE plans will get a text message. They will be offering a $50 3 gig plan to those who are on a PM 2 gig $40 plan. You do need to receive a text message to get the offer. More to come.......keep your eyes open. 

@905289 wrote:

I'm only on a 6 gb/90 days plan and am interested. Can I get away with just quoting the promo code?

@905289 Why not try at your local Koodo kiosk? Only lose a bit of time if they say no.

@CalvinW wrote:
@Luddite Need more data than 2GB per month, but PM doesn't offer any attractive prices anymore

@CalvinW Standard pricing everywhere has really jumped. If you can get the Koodo deal, that's your best bet currently I think. Robot Sad

What's your target price/month?

@Michael77, I don't think they are targeting High data users I think they are going through Ontario and seeing what they can get back.  It was probably the province with the greatest lost of Koodo Customers with recent promos and then work from there.  Plus if your friend has gone through 11GB in just over a month this plan wouldn't be enough either.  Atleast this data bucket is over 90 days.  Koodo is 5GB a month anything over and you are paying overage.

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

Michael77
One of my referrals got the text message. He is on the Freedom Mobile promo plan. He's already used 11 gigs in about a little over a month. Maybe they are targeting high data users? I did not get the text message. I guess I don't use enough data?

@ShawnC13 in ONtario which is very surprising

That is the only reason I think some will consider it

A legit plan that costs about the same as the loopholes and never need to worry about audits again

@smp99 not even close

The 2 lines I got the txt on are the low users (one of them averages less than 3GB per bill cycle, other is in the 5 to 6GB range)

No need for 5GB per month and really no need to lose rewards & pay an extra $10 for long distance (that equals more than +$20 per month, I could buy an international booster here for less)

My heavier line is still over on Telus (23GB per month)

@shawnie_boy nothing secret about it

Telus pitched that plan mainly at Freedom Mobile and it worked

Unfortunately it worked too well and Koodo clients started jumping ship as well

(Less from Fido or Virgin once they price matched to stem the bleeding)

So then second promo specifically said ONLY from Freedom

Then everyone on other carriers ran to Freedom, activated accounts, and ported over here again

Both promos were insanely popular and basically broke Public Mobile

Now they are trying to get more people back to Koodo postpaid & crippling data is a start

@shawnie_boy wrote:

I do think this offer is a sign of things to come with PM. It is obvious PM and Telus have some secret plan here. They tried to get a pile of people over to the Telus family using the 4gb/$38 plan. Ultimately, PM will switch to being a 3g carrier only so these offers likely something we will see more of moving forward. PM will try to get everyone off the $38/4gb plan which is fine for them as long as they go to Koodo.

@shawnie_boy iPhone SE & iPhone6 both have substantial sales on right now

iPhone7 had a sale earlier (2 months ago?)

@shawnie_boy wrote:

edit: actually scratch that, Koodo doesn't offer any deals for iphones. 

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

I just read about this on RFD.  Interestingly, none of my accounts received the text yet.  $50 for 5 gigs is pretty competitive these days.  None of us needs the extra data and so paying $12 more per month is kind of useless.  We are well supported by Google for long distance and so there is no benefit in having nation wide calling either.  So, I am guess I am here to stay. 

Need Help? Let's chat.