cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Receive calls or messages if I am overseas

sm_lam
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hello, I am a public mobile user. I am currently in overseas. Please advise whether public mobile has services to receive calls or messages when I am not in Canada ?

I cannot transfer my calls as I am not in Canada.

Thank you your help in advance.

8 REPLIES 8

@dust2dust 

My friend's plan is legacy. The provider probably operates like Public Mobile - things come, things go, things change.

But certain parts of Asia have a much more developed network infrastructure than we do, that's why they can offer plans which are next level compared to ours.

And certain other providers in Asia, India, even Europe provide comparable plans with comparable roaming.

Shopping for a phone plan in another country is no different than shopping for one in Canada. Figure out which ones provide plans which will work for you (in Canada). Compare all your options. Choose the best one right now if you need it right now. Or if you can afford to wait, be ready to swoop onto any special promos or deals which directly apply to your needs.

@Korth- How come I see no mention of Canada with their roaming? But man those rates...  And the Singapore dollar is about the same as ours.

Yes, data roaming. Although the network in some foreign (Canadian) areas do not always deliver the full performances promised in the (Singapore) plan.

Yes, people in Canada have to dial long distance to "Singapore" when calling her, even when she's in Canada. Not a problem for her since all her friends and family in Canada have the same plan - they can all dial anywhere in the roaming area to anywhere in the roaming area at not extra cost. Most of her calling is dialed out, which is a non-issue - or is incoming from others on the Singapore plan, which is a non-issue.

Hardly "forced to subscribe to a Canadian service anyway". People with important calls will pay the long distance costs or will find other ways to contact her. She can return calls without long distance costs. It seems like the scary deal-breaker on the surface, but it turns out that these limitations don't really apply much in the modern world - since texts and emails are essentially free - since people who think their calls are important (to you) will always find a way to contact you, to leave a message with a way to contact them back, etc.

The scary limitations come from Canadian providers with strictly in-Canada service and very limited roaming options. As I suggested above, foreign operators often have far more generous roaming service offerings and collaborations, their customers can enjoy full phone service across multiple countries in large geographic zones.

I described a Singapore-based operator which services most of Asia and the Americas and almost everything in between. But there's others (I don't know much about) who service Europe/America, Europe/Asia, Africa/India/Asia, etc, and some of these might include Canada as well.

I know that these sorts of international calling SIMs or multi-region operators almost always use the Rogers network to provide coverage when in Canada.

@Korth- Nice. But then you have to call her Singapore number to call her. So then she's kind of forced to subscribe to a Canadian service anyway just so that people can easily call her. And what about data? Also unlimited roaming? I suppose she could use a voip app with a Canadian number using that data and then call people back.

Korth
Mayor / Maire

Many foreign operators offer better deals than anything in Canada. The catch is that you (or someone you know) has to live in the foreign country to signup for service.

A friend of mine subscribes to a Singapore-based company which (on her plan, at least) has unlimited roaming in most of Asia, Australia, the Pacific, North and South America. She lives in Canada, her phone is in Canada, all calls in and out of Canada, but still enjoys all the same features (and costs) she'd have in Singapore.

https://www.circles.life/sg/

HALIMACS
Mayor / Maire

How long are you going to be overseas, @sm_lam 

There's a workaround, but it's kinda time-consuming and would require someone in Canada to get a SIM card & stand-by device to keep on here if you have the existing PM SIM card with you overseas.

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@sm_lam PM only have roaming service for Us and no where else

what you can do as. a workaround is to get a VoIP app like TextNow to make and receive free calls to from Canada.  It will work as long as you have wifi or if you get local data sim

hycm53
Mayor / Maire

@sm_lam wrote:

Hello, I am a public mobile user. I am currently in overseas. Please advise whether public mobile has services to receive calls or messages when I am not in Canada ?

I cannot transfer my calls as I am not in Canada.

Thank you your help in advance.

You may receive message but won't get a call, and you can't make phone call or send text when you're outside of Canada.  If you are in USA then you can purchase US add on. PM doesn't have any add on in other countries except USA.

Need Help? Let's chat.