cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Really hard to read SMS spam

Natsu
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

So I get this text message from an unknown number in the US. A few readable punctuation marks, otherwise little squares. Happens once in a while that I get a message in a font my phone does not know - usually it's in Japanese (legitimate message) or in Chinese (spam). I simply forward unreadable messages to my VoIP number, from where they get sent back to me by email, and I can read them.

But this time even my email shows little squares only. Maybe the message is in Arabic or Urdu or such? I paste it into the text editor that can read anything for which a font is installed on my computer - still no luck, so it's none of those languages. Finally, I paste it into the browser's search field: turns out it's English! Readable now but obviously spam (as I very much suspected):

[U.S.P.S.]: Your package is on hold because of an incorrect address. To update and schedule a new delivery, reply 'Y'.

Yeah, right. LOL

Anyway, I want to know what kind of weird font the spammers use to make their messages essentially unreadable in most application (is that a smart idea of some sort?). One of the online UTF interfaces checks the hex values and tells me what this is:

'MATHEMATICAL BOLD CAPITAL' (starting at Unicode U+1D400).

Wow... not many computers, let alone phones, will have that font. Good luck!

Or am I perhaps missing something?

5 REPLIES 5

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@Natsu 

It just might be....I had data blocked on my flip phone with telus so no MMS, emojis, nothing but maybe italics....? It's been awhile since the summer of 2019 that I was with telus but that seems to make sense if you have a dumb phone and no data.

Natsu
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

@darlicious 

So... are you saying that if you use data you get fancy fonts, emojis, etc., but if you don't use data you get just squares whenever there is a fancy character? If that is the case, it would be the (for me) missing piece of the puzzle...

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@Natsu 

I used to get something similar when I was with telus and had a data block on my phone. Whenever a friend would send a text with emojis all I would recieve is blank squares.

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@Natsu -  perhaps they are luring you to click something with their creative presentation?

If you suspect it is spam, i'd just delete it and ensure you don't click on anything.

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@Natsu haha, I think the person  might not be sending in Enough,  there are many spams in Chinese these days.

Need Help? Let's chat.