cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reading threads - how can I jump to the last post I read

smp99
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Trying to navigate the community threads. 

Currently the "Return to Prov-Wide plans" is getting a lot of action. When I come back here 24 hours later, how can I go to the first post that I have not read yet. 

This is one of the most common things that a typical forum provides.  

9 REPLIES 9

@smp99 wrote:

Currently the "Return to Prov-Wide plans" is getting a lot of action. When I come back here 24 hours later, how can I go to the first post that I have not read yet. 

Click on your avatar and go into My Settings. Go into Preference and then General. By default, this website marks all messages as read (even if you haven't) after you log out. That default setting can be changed.

At one point, I noticed that the above stopped working properly, but at the very least, that's where the setting that you might be looking for is.

@smp99 

Am I missing something here? When I log in I go to my notifications and scroll down to the bottom of the page....or the next one and work my way up. The oldest notification will bring me to the first post made after the last one I've read.

Luddite
Oracle
Oracle

@smp99 wrote:

@smp99  If you have been active in a topic you can come closer by clicking your avatar, then scrolling through your Latest posts to find your last post on a topic.

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I pretty much only do this at home on a laptop. I stay logged in all day. Up in the morning - log in. I remember roughly when I logged out the night before. I go back however many default pages and start catching up. When I'm just on the computer I refresh the page frequently. When I do something else away from the computer (yes believe it or not 🙂 ) then when I come back I see the last post at the top and refresh and go back to that one and catch up. Then I log out when I'm done for the day. Rinse and repeat.

I keep an eye out on the mobile if I happen to be bored with available wifi or turn on data when out, out. If something twigs me to say something then I log in and say it.

No there doesn't seem to be a way to list all the unread posts. Just bolded threads that have new posts. I played with that Jump to setting and I don't think it did anything. Or I didn't use it right. Dunno. Don't care.

@will13am 

Agreed, oldest vs. newest posts doesn't directly take a user to their last unread post, however if there are pages upon pages of posts, putting newest up front may simplify catching up?

I do note, on the same linear layout, under preferences, under My Settings, there is a selectable box which allows a user to "Jump to first unread post in a topic".  

Perhaps that setting is more relevant to the OP's question?   

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@smp99 wrote:

That would be a nice feature @smp99 ! Like change the color (or unbold) for Read Posts, something like that. 

I can see how this would be useful. Now, it is just a lot of scrolling, refreshing, re-reading, etc.

Add it to the Community Wishlist. Not sure if this was ever used for an improvement on the Community or not, but you never know.

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Community/The-Community-s-Public-Mobile-Wishlist/m-p/...

Happy scrolling!

@HALIMACS wrote:

@smp99 

This is a user setting that you can control under your preferences.

Click your paper airplane avatar upper right of screen, and you will get to it there as follows:

Once there,  click under my settings, then preferences, then linear layout. You can select oldest first or newest first there.

Oldest/newest sort is not the same as last read.  I am not aware of such a pointer being available, but I am open to correction.  

ShawnC13
Oracle
Oracle

@smp99 wrote:

I actually haven't found that feature if I am browsing through the subsections at older threads that I have read most of the posts.  

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

HALIMACS
Mayor / Maire

@smp99 

This is a user setting that you can control under your preferences.

Click your paper airplane avatar upper right of screen, and you will get to it there as follows:

Once there,  click under my settings, then preferences, then linear layout. You can select oldest first or newest first there.

Need Help? Let's chat.