cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Download speeds on LTE on PM network in GTA.

che
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Why I'm only getting 3-4mbps DL and 0.5-1mbps UL speed..why it is so slow and I'm in Mississauga? I thought PM has higher DL speed compare to FM that's why I switched to PM. Please advise.

19 REPLIES 19

@che

Since one of your plans is an in-market plan here is a variation of the scenario I've outlined above:

Account A (12GB Promo) to be kept / number a to be transferred to account B

Account B (1+1 "3G", in market) to be closed / number b be assigned to account C

* Open new account C  (1+1 "3G", or any in market plan you'd want to keep) with number c

* Contact mods and ask to transfer number a to account C

--> random number d will be assigned to Account A

--> number c is lost

* Mods to transfer number b to account A

--> account B will be closed

--> number d is lost

@imm1304 wrote:

The 1+1 GB Bonus line will not go faster than 3Mbps up and down.  

The 12GB account should get full LTE speeds.  

You can find out if swap can be achieved by sending a private message to @CS_Agent.

Provide both phone numbers and they may be able to do an internal number port between the 2 accounts.  Good luck!

@imm1304

It's my understanding that a direct number swap while keeping both accounts is not possible.

However, this is how the work around with an additional account (at the additional cost to do so) would look like technically. I think it would be a gesture of goodwill if they are willing to help with this scenario.

Account A to be kept / number a to be transferred to account B

Account B to be kept / number b be assigned to account A

* Open new account C with number c

* Contact mods and ask to transfer number a to account C

--> random number d will be assigned to Account A

--> number c is lost

* Mods to transfer number b to account A

--> account B will get random number e

--> number d is lost

* Mods to transfer number a to account B

--> number e is lost

--> account C will be closed

Since only one number change per 30days is allowed you might need to wait 30 days between some of the steps.

The above is based on this information:

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Discussions/How-do-I-port-out-my-number-and-still-kee...

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Self-Serve/Porting-a-number-from-PM-to-PM/m-p/163972/...

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Self-Serve/Porting-a-number-from-PM-to-PM/m-p/164076/...

imm1304
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

You're welcome, @che.

When writing a private message to the mods, specify explicitly that you wish to keep both the lines and just need the numbers swapped.  Its irrelevant how they may achieve this, but as long as they are able to do it, they will gladly take care of you.  

che

@imm1304 wrote:

You can find out if swap can be achieved by sending a private message to @CS_Agent.

Provide both phone numbers and they may be able to do an internal number port between the 2 accounts.  Good luck!

@imm1304 thanks so much! Thanks also to others who answered

imm1304

che

@imm1304 wrote:

@che,

In selfserve, your plan should say data allowance "on 3G speeds" if your plan includes 3G data.  If this is the case, then you are getting what you paid for (3-4Mbps).  

If, selfserve doesn't say your data is 3G speed, then there are things you can do to get the LTE full speeds on your phone.  So let us know which phone and people here will guide you as needed.  

Ok..I think I found it now..

My new moved line is this..

• This plan includes: -
  • - 1 + 1GB BONUS at 3G Speed
  • - 3 Choices with Provincial Talk
  • - Unlimited International Text
  • - Unlimited Provincial Talk

My other line is

Pick & Pay

• This plan includes: -
  • - 12GB Data
  • - Expired
  • - Unlimited International Text
  • - Unlimited Provincial Talk

thanks all for the clarifications!

Now this will be my next question.. can I swap this plan from each other? Not sure if that's possible.

imm1304

@che,

In selfserve, your plan should say data allowance "on 3G speeds" if your plan includes 3G data.  If this is the case, then you are getting what you paid for (3-4Mbps).  

If, selfserve doesn't say your data is 3G speed, then there are things you can do to get the LTE full speeds on your phone.  So let us know which phone and people here will guide you as needed.  

Wafik
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@che Just wanted to second @Luddite.  Please confirm for us what plan you have.  If you have a LTE data plan then you require further support as your speeds should not be so slow.

@che Please login to your account and report the plan details. Do you by chance have your phone set to 3G rather than LTE/auto?

BTW: in any case, there must be some other issue as upload/download is same speed on 3G plans. What is make/model of your phone?

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

che

@Michael77 wrote:

@che,

When did your friend sign up? It usually takes a few days after signing before PM throttles the speed to 3g.

I think 6mos ago..I will test with my other lines.. I have 3lines with PM..planning to switch other 2lines but if I'm only getting 3-4mbps I'm thinking not to move it then..Thanks for all the replies @Michael77 

Michael77
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@che,

When did your friend sign up? It usually takes a few days after signing before PM throttles the speed to 3g.

imm1304

HI @che!

If you are on the same plan as a friend who is getting 48Mbps, then you are learly not on one of the new cheaper 3G plans.  So the issue must be eitehr with your phone or the location.  

Which phone are you using?  Double check taht LTE is enabled.  Preferred network type is set to LTE/WCDMA auto etc.

The newly released 3G plans are from few months ago and they are supposed to be cheaper than the regular plans.  

Wafik

@che if your friend has the same 3G speed plan as you and he is not being throttled, then that would be a mistake on PM's part.  It is more likely you have different plans.

As for why they do it, it is a cost saving option for customers and for PM.  Not everyone needs super fast data or is happy with 3G speed and so they are charged less to go with this option instead of using full LTE speed and paying more.  This also saves money for PM as it means these people are less of a drag on the Telus network than someone using full LTE speed.  

che

@Wafik wrote:

@che it depends what you choose.  Both options use Telus' LTE network, but if you go with a 3G speed option they throttle the speed to be similar to the old 3G network but you still have the benefits of the superior LTE coverage.  If you need/want faster speed, you would want to make sure you select a data package with full LTE speed.

Thanks @Wafik . Do you know he reason why they throttle the connection? The weird thing is I asked my friend who have the same plan as me and he is getting 48mbps DL.

Wafik

@che it depends what you choose.  Both options use Telus' LTE network, but if you go with a 3G speed option they throttle the speed to be similar to the old 3G network but you still have the benefits of the superior LTE coverage.  If you need/want faster speed, you would want to make sure you select a data package with full LTE speed.

che

@Michael77 wrote:

@che wrote:

Why I'm only getting 3-4mbps DL and 0.5-1mbps UL speed..why it is so slow and I'm in Mississauga? I thought PM has higher DL speed compare to FM that's why I switched to PM. Please advise.

You may have one of PM's 3g (LTE) plans.

thanks Michael.

che

@Wafik wrote:

Hey @che, welcome to PM.  Typically you will get a quicker response if you start a new thread instead of responding to an old thread.

I have a couple questions to ask to help you figure this out.

When you signed up with PM, did you order 3G speed data or LTE data?  You have a choice and you may not have realized and gone with data at 3G speed, which would be in line with your 3-4 MBPS that you are seeing.

If you did get LTE data, have you tried turning your phone on and off again or checked if there is an outage in your area?  If you have and you're still having problems, I would reach out to the Mod team @CS_Agent

oh..that I think what I got..I have to upgrade..so the 3G is 3-4mbps now? When I moved  my other line months ago we were getting 15mbps++, I didn't know that it changed the speed for 3G.  

Wafik

Hey @che, welcome to PM.  Typically you will get a quicker response if you start a new thread instead of responding to an old thread.

I have a couple questions to ask to help you figure this out.

When you signed up with PM, did you order 3G speed data or LTE data?  You have a choice and you may not have realized and gone with data at 3G speed, which would be in line with your 3-4 MBPS that you are seeing.

If you did get LTE data, have you tried turning your phone on and off again or checked if there is an outage in your area?  If you have and you're still having problems, I would reach out to the Mod team @CS_Agent

Michael77
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@che wrote:

You may have one of PM's 3g (LTE) plans.

Need Help? Let's chat.