cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Questions about VoLTE being enabled

jlhopes
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I received a text message that VoLTE has now been enabled on PM's network. I have two questions about this, and haven't been able to find answers elsewhere on the Community, so hoping someone can help:

1. The message says that my device does not support VoLTE. Does this mean that I won't be able to make calls in the U.S. anymore unless I get a different device, or can I still get U.S. roaming as usual?

2. My device is a Samsung Galaxy S7, and when I look it up online it seems to support VoLTE. But in my Settings I don't have any VoLTE option, as is shown on various websites. Is this because of the SIM card I have? Is there anything I can do to enable VoLTE?

Thank you!

16 REPLIES 16

rikkster
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Subsequent carrier updates have wiped the VoLTE toggle switch from the Galaxy S7. The VoLTE toggle switch was plainly visible right out of the box back in 2016 up to about 2018 on my SM-G930W8, (which I still have). The S7 was fully capable of Wi-Fi Calling as well. It’s just that these two features were of little concern back in those days.

In 2016, The VoLTE toggle switch was found by tapping the phone icon, tapping Settings and voila. The location of the VoLTE switch was changed at some point in 2018 to; Settings > Mobile networks > Turn on VoLTE Call. As of late, it is nowhere to be found. I'm not seeing the VoLTE toggle on my S7 either.

The USSD code *#*#*4636#*#* no longer works on my S7. Though there is an app, Hidden Settings by Oalex that mimics the USSD code and reveals IMS registration status and whether VoLTE and Wi-Fi Calling are provisioned or not.

After downloading the app, scroll down and tap RadioInfo. Tap the menu icon (3 dots) and select IMS Service Status to generate a report. Tap anywhere outside the report to exit. Scroll down further to view the group of toggle switches. Mobile Radio Power is on by default (turning it off is akin to putting your phone in Airplane mode).

This app may prove useful when checking to see if VoLTE is enabled/provisioned. As of now, the toggle switches are greyed out for VoLTE and Wi-Fi Calling. I too get the same response from TELUS that the S7 is VoLTE compatible.

Hidden Settings | Oalex 

jlhopes

I am in Canada, but sometimes go to the USA on trips, and I do use PM's roaming add-on.

I used the link from will13am, put in my IMEI and it says my phone will work on the Telus VoLTE network. So, not sure why I got that message from PM -- could be an error. Maybe at some point I'lll try contacting support and ask if they can try enabling VoLTE, as Nezgar suggested.

I know the S7 is getting a bit old, but it still works great and I like it -- not so big like the newer phones!

Nezgar
Mayor / Maire

@jlhopesAre you in the USA currently? You may have to be in Canada for the initial VoLTE provisioning to be received. You can try opening a ticket with the CS agents and nicely ask if they can try enabling VoLTE on your account anyway. (This is what I did successfully) - then if they confirm they did it, reboot your phone and make a few test calls. I noticed that the VoLTE "IMS Connected" status didn't change until a few minutes after the reboot.

Once it's confirmed working in Canada, I'm hopeful it will continue to use VoLTE while roaming in the USA where it would greatly improve the reliability of calling, where there is no 3G network and only sparse 2G remaining on T-Mobile...

@farmbot wrote:

I thinks an Android 10 or above operating system is required for VoLTE .

🔓📞

I have VoLTE working with Public Mobile on my BlackBerry keyONE as of today, which is running Android 8.1. This particular phone used to work with VoLTE on Rogers originally 4+ years ago.

@hTideGnow wrote:

Thanks @will13am  for the link.

@jlhopes   I use the link and check my S7 Edge, it is VoLTE compatible on Telus.  So, I would assume S7 is the same

hTideGnow_0-1679066828650.png

I think the database is overly generous.  I would be more inclined to go with 2018 as a cutoff date.  Anything with 2018 release date or later is likely to be compatible and anything older is YMMV.  

Thanks @will13am  for the link.

@jlhopes   I use the link and check my S7 Edge, it is VoLTE compatible on Telus.  So, I would assume S7 is the same

hTideGnow_0-1679066828650.png

dust2dust
Mayor / Maire

I have a Canadian market Samsung S7 SM-G930W8 that originated with Bell (I bought it used from a cell repair store). Then I fiddled with roms then I put it back to stock which turned it into appearing to be from Telus. It's on Android 8.

I have a US service that in my daily driver showed the volte toggle as soon as I activated it (and vowifi).

I put that sim in the S7 and there's no sign of volte (or vowifi). Vowifi worked so I was kinda thinking I would use the service in my old S7. Nope.

So I'm gonna say the S7 does not support volte. At least my specific version and the non-upgradeable OS. Maybe some day for something to do I'll fiddle with roms on it and see if volte appears.

I would also suggest that the S7 is past any security updates let alone OS updates. Maybe it's time to let it go. Or keep as an emergency spare.

DennyCrane
Mayor / Maire

I'm very surprised by this, but according to google the S7 is VoLTE capable. That text message is interesting though, and is more aligned with what i would expect for such an old device.

farmbot
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

I thinks an Android 10 or above operating system is required for VoLTE .

🔓📞

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@jlhopes , you could check your device VoLTE support using this link.  The S7 release date was March 2016.  I have my doubts that the phone will have VoLTE compatibility.  This is one of the drawbacks of technology advancements, it obsoletes equipment.  

https://www.telus.com/en/support/article/how-to-use-volte

GR
Mayor / Maire

I've got 4 accounts with iphones and last night I rebooted 1 of the iphones and then made a call and it did it on Lte

Dunkman
Oracle
Oracle

@jlhopes 

Here is the official knowledge article on VoLTE:

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/on/get-help/articles/volte

You should still be able to make calls in the USA, but likely will be using the T mobile 2G network if you don't have a VoLTE enable phone, 

Some phones don't have the VoLTE setting. Just make sure that you are connected to LTE network. Once VoLTE is rolled out to your account, you don't need to do anything special.  It should just start working.  

jlhopes

Thanks for the quick replies. I rebooted the device but so far there is no VoLTE option under Mobile Networks.

My message from PM (abbreviated) says:

"We've enabled VoLTE on our network. To enjoy uninterrupted services while roaming in the U.S., a VoLTE capable device and a VoLTE enabled network are required. Your current device does not support VoLTE. Visit (URL) to purchase a compatible device... Learn more about VoLTE here (URL)."

HALIMACS
Mayor / Maire

@jlhopes 

some have reported that once it is enabled on your account, one simply needs to reboot the device for the option to become available.

Personally, I don’t have first hand experience in that observation, but perhaps it may be true.

Give it a try.

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@jlhopes   old devices might or might not be able to use VoLTE.  However, many more devices not on the list will still have VoLTE working. 

So, just wait a bit.  When you finally the VoLTE option under Mobile network, it's a good sign. Enable it and wait again.  Yes, you might need to wait a bit even you see the option there.  PM is slowly enabling accounts on VoLTE so it might take time

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@jlhopes wrote:

I received a text message that VoLTE has now been enabled on PM's network. I have two questions about this, and haven't been able to find answers elsewhere on the Community, so hoping someone can help:

1. The message says that my device does not support VoLTE. Does this mean that I won't be able to make calls in the U.S. anymore unless I get a different device, or can I still get U.S. roaming as usual?

2. My device is a Samsung Galaxy S7, and when I look it up online it seems to support VoLTE. But in my Settings I don't have any VoLTE option, as is shown on various websites. Is this because of the SIM card I have? Is there anything I can do to enable VoLTE?

Thank you!

@jlhopes - are you able to post your text message you received, without any personal info please...

edit, volte is device specific do you see this on your device?

Set up Voice over LTE Calling (VoLTE) - Samsung Galaxy S7
  1. Select Apps.
  2. Select Settings.
  3. Select Mobile networks.
  4. Turn on VoLTE Call.
Need Help? Let's chat.