cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question about the: 50$ Unlimited Canada-wide/U.S. minutes + 10GB data plan

Neelan
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hello, 

I am looking into a plan that I can use in the States since I am living in the States for up to six months at a time. 

Does the "50$ Unlimited Canada-wide/U.S. minutes + 10GB data plan" allow me to make calls and texts within the States, and from the U.S. to Canada, as well as receive calls and texts from Canada?

Thanks, 

N.

9 REPLIES 9

Luddite
Oracle
Oracle

@Neelan "am looking into a plan that I can use in the States since I am living in the States for up to six months at a time."

PM no longer offers USA/Canada plans   Some US providers do, so have a look around. For example TextNow US data service allows roaming in Canada.

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@Neelan 

Public Mobile's US Roaming is a bit transitional right now due to the decommissioning of the 3G network in the US affecting the ability to send and recieve voice calls. Since you will be spending a significant amount of time there your best bet is as suggested to get local service like mint mobile with 90 day plans starting at US $15/4gb/30 days to $30/30gb*/30 days (*unlimited/5G capped) that includes unlimited calling+texting to Canada and Mexico.

In the spoiler below are your options for your pm service. You can call forward your pm number to a voip provider # but you must keep your pm sim card out of your phone so it cannot connect to a US tower and cancel your call forwarding. If you need texts forwarded as well you can download Mighty text and leave your pm sim card in a working, powered on and connected to a charger/outlet with a trusted friend or family member in Canada. Calls and texts will be forwarded to the requisite apps on your phone using wifi or (mint?)mobile data.

Choosing the option above with the pm $15 plan+the mint US$15/4gb plan with taxes/exchange% will be about  $40/30 days. T-Mobile offers low usage plans....lol...low usage for the US! They come with unlimited calling and texting : US $10/1gb, $15/3gb, $25/6gb and $35/12gb of 5G/4G LTE.

Spoiler
  1. You can turn off autopay and allow the account to suspend at the of your current 30 day cycle but this is your least advantageous option. Pay and reactivate by day 85 or so.
  2. If you have an account balance that exceeds your plan amount then you need to suspend via the lost/stolen feature in your account before midnight eastern on the evening of your renewal. Then on day 85 or so resume your service to pay and reactivate.
  3. Suspending via lost/stolen before midnight eastern will keep your voicemail active allowing you retrieve voicemail and any verification sent by phone calls. However your rewards will not be applied to your account. CSA contact after paying and reactivating is necessary to have the rewards applied manually.
  4. Voicemail can be accessed by calling your pm number from a different phone by calling your phone # and pressing * once connected and entering your 4 digit voicemail pin #.
  5. If you don't have an account balance or enough balance to cover your plan amount you can suspend via lost/stolen after midnight but before 2 am eastern on the day of your renewal. Once your rewards have been applied (usually by 12:15 am et) then suspend your account. Voicemail access will be lost.
  6. Switching to the $15 plan with rewards helping to cover a partial or full amount of your plan allows you to call forward your pm number to your voip number (textnow or fongo) before you leave Canada.. Now any incoming calling to your pm number will ring thru to your voip number while on wifi or mobile data (w/a local or global sim card) You can access your voip voicemail for all pm voicemail messages.

Most important mark on your calendar day 85 of your suspension and day 90. Do not forget when you must unsuspend your account via lost/stolen and/or pay and reactivate your service so you don't lose your phone number and account. Happy Canada Day!

Note: If you are on the points program their application and eligible earnings are unaffected by suspension.

@hTideGnow    I've had that happen multiple times since PM changed to this new community forum.  Luckily, it's been a little better over the last couple of weeks for me!

@hTideGnow wrote:

What is happening with PM today?  Very simple answer and keep being blocked!!!

the above was my 6th attempts even I keep changing the content and tried posted "picture" of my answer

😠

@hTideGnow   Can't tell why but the spam filter is weird sometimes.  I had that before too and I have to reboot my machines before I can post again.  Almost thought PM blocked me out completely

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

What is happening with PM today?  Very simple answer and keep being blocked!!!

the above was my 6th attempts even I keep changing the content and tried posted "picture" of my answer

😠

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

hTideGnow_0-1656702727676.png

dabr
Mayor / Maire

@Neelan   Sorry, no.  That plan will allow for calls to US while you're in Canada only.  You'd be better off with a local SIM for long stays in the US.  Perhaps look into Mint Mobile?

edit:  BTW you can pause the PM plan for upto 90 days (from payment due date) by removing the payment card which will suspend service for lack of payment but have to be vigilant about making a payment around day 86 to keep the account and number active.  That way you're not paying for two services while you're in the states.

RossN
Mayor / Maire

@Neelan hi sorry that is only for Canada calling to the states not vice versa sorry 

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@Neelan   No.  Those US Long distance minutes are for calling FROM Canada to US.  not for used when you are in US.  For that, you will need US roaming add-on, but they are not good to be used in your case as you are there for 6 months.

Need Help? Let's chat.