cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Purchased refurbished ZTE Cymbal 2 from Public Mobile, new user to plan and service.

bu
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Amber alert (3 year old missing girl from Barrie), resolved yesterday at 8am., still loading on my mobile with no way to stop it, or delete it. (Delete is not an option). I have muted notifications and left my mobile network setting off. Is this a limitation of my phone?  Or can I access the line (7 megabytes of usage) on your website under my account and stop the alert there? Thank you.

12 REPLIES 12

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@bu 

You may have better luck here:

You can contact ZTE by phone (877) 817-1759 or email at devicesupport@zteusa.com

To contact customer support click below:

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

To pre-verify your account include your full name, address, email, phone # and 4 digit acct pin #.

bu

Had it set to 3G, mobile network on, rebooted, notification still there. Blocked notification 1-888, number which cleared the notification from my history log, however, amber alert is still scrolling across my exterior screen. Thank you darlicious Mayor/ Marie for your suggestions and offering help. I guess my next step, will be to contact customer support.

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@bu 

Try switching to 3G only (HSPA) and reboot the phone and see what happens?

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

To pre-verify your account include your full name, address, email, phone # and 4 digit acct pin #.

bu

yup. thanks for the suggestion, rebooted, (hold down off key, and volume up key) but the amber alert is still there scrolling across my screen. I could try factory reset,  but it means I lose my personal data on my phone. Do you have any other suggestions? Thanks in advance.

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@bu 

Reboot the phone. Then see if the user manual helps with the notification settings. The troubleshooting section was of no help but you may figure it out once you know what everything does in your phone. Flip phones have lots of features but most rewuire a lot of trial and error to figure out how they work.

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/1708869/Zte-Cymbal-2.html?page=23#manual

bu
bu_0-1644614411034.png

bu
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Thank you. The options you've listed are not available on a ZTE Cymbal 2, options soft key. There is a prompt: 1.Clear All, that doesn't seem to do anything. Under: Menu, Settings, Sound, Notifications, there is only Ring, Vibrate, Mute. Is this a bug in the flip phone, designed before amber notifications became common? Will it just live on my phone forever? I'm wondering if I should send it back to Public Mobile. Thanks for replying and taking an interest.

bu

Thank you. The options you've listed are not available on a ZTE Cymbal 2, options soft key. There is a prompt: 1.Clear All, that doesn't seem to do anything. Under: Menu, Settings, Sound, Notifications, there is only Ring, Vibrate, Mute. Is this a bug in the flip phone, designed before amber notifications became common? Will it just live on my phone forever? I'm wondering if I should send it back to Public Mobile. Thanks for replying and taking an interest.

bu

yes, thanks.  I'm still not connected to a mobile network, it's still running on my phone.

BEER
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

On my iPhone I just flip up and the notification is gone. Have you tried to flip up to remove the notification?

@softech wrote:

@bu 

If you click on the alert, it didn't stop it from coming up again?

see if you can temporary disable the amber alert

1. From the main screen, press the right soft key to choose Messages.
2. Press the left soft key to choose Option.
3. Select Settings .
4. Select Wireless Emergency Alerts .
5. Select Receive emergency alerts .
6. Select any of the following to enable or disable:
           Enabled when a checkmark is present.
           -- Extreme Imminent Threat
            -- Severe Imminent Threat
           -- AMBER alerts
           -- Emergency RMT Messages

Then leave it for an hour, reboot the phone and wait another hour and you might want to enable it back after

The above won't work.  When ti comes to the official emergency alert system, these settings do nothing.  The only way to disable these, short of turning the phone off, would be to lock the the phone into the HSPA network. I do see that we're talking about repeated instances of the message, but that would be more a glitch.The rebooting the phone part could help though.

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@bu  - I think this steams from the system sending it out. Not sure if you can prevent it, unless you change your mobile connection settings, which could affect your services.

EDIT, glad to hear the girl was found.

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@bu 

If you click on the alert, it didn't stop it from coming up again?

see if you can temporary disable the amber alert

1. From the main screen, press the right soft key to choose Messages.
2. Press the left soft key to choose Option.
3. Select Settings .
4. Select Wireless Emergency Alerts .
5. Select Receive emergency alerts .
6. Select any of the following to enable or disable:
           Enabled when a checkmark is present.
           -- Extreme Imminent Threat
            -- Severe Imminent Threat
           -- AMBER alerts
           -- Emergency RMT Messages

Then leave it for an hour, reboot the phone and wait another hour and you might want to enable it back after

Need Help? Let's chat.