cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Public mobile Network problem - comes and goes

mani123
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen
Hello,

I have this weird problem in which public mobile Network drops and then it comes back. It happens more than 3-4 times a day and it lasts about 2-5 seconds? I have a unlocked s7 edge and it on the LTE band is activated and I did not make any aps changes as it works without it for the data on the phone.

Thanks for your help.
7 REPLIES 7

Amjadllc
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Why not working on this is freedom mobile 647-***-****

kav2001c
Mayor / Maire

@mani123 the first thing I would check is area where signal is dropping. What tower you are on, what frequency it supports, is it native Telus or roaming on Bell etc

http://www.ertyu.org/steven_nikkel/cancellsites.html

@Ionut the S7 has a 3G only mode which is why I questioned setting it to 3G/2G mode.

As stated above though this does not "improve" signal

All you are doing is running the phone in a slower mode (think of a car, you are far less likely to lose control if you are doing 80km on the highway compared to someone doing 200km)

Slower speeds also tend to get signal further away from the tower and better building penetration as well

Oh also as a positive, disabling 4G will also give better battery life

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

Hi @mani123, that's annoying eh??  I used to get that on my 1st gen Moto X and never did track down the culprit. Doesn't seem to happen on my OnePlus 3, fortunately.

Questions:

1) Did this start happening recently?  

2) Have you used this phone on any other other carrier(s)?  If so, did it happen on that network too?

3) Have you only used any other phones with Public Mobile?  If so, did it happen on that phone too?

4) Are you on the latest version of Android available for your S7 Edge?  (presumably 6.0.1 of some kind)

5) Have you tried powering down, removing the SIM card, waiting 60 seconds or so, then reinserting and powering back on?  Any difference?

I'm not sure what else to ask yet but let's start with those and see if anything interesting comes up.  🙂

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

Ionut
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@kav2001c did someone specify 2G choosing ? YOu can only have 2g/3/g or 2g/3g/4g This is the option which you have in your phone.

And yes it improve your signal 5x time. even now choosing 3g.

Apparently you won't see the forest because of tree.

On S6 i still pick up many time 2 line of signal which is bad. So i switch to 3g and it's always FULL.

And as i said early. It's a temporary solution for my need.

When i need to use my data i switch to LTE which take me 10 sec and rest of the day i keep it on 3g which also improve my battery life by 40%

Also they are many phones which have a feature which decrease signal bar in order to save battery life which apparently you cannot disable that option. So my point is Solid

@Ionut wrote:

I had the same issue for S6 so i managed to do something to improve the signal:

Settings> More Network>Mobile Network>Network Mode>Switched to WCDMA/GMS or choose the one which say 3/2g.  

That was working for me 🙂

But is a drawback. You will only have 3 G signal :(. So when i needed to use for LTE i switch to LTE otherwise i stay on 3g

So is a temporary solution 🙂 

@Ionut Why would you use 3/2g???

Public does not support 2g at all (as Telus also does not)

If you do this better to set it to 3G only mode

(although this does not "improve the signal")

Ionut
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

I had the same issue for S6 so i managed to do something to improve the signal:

Settings> More Network>Mobile Network>Network Mode>Switched to WCDMA/GMS or choose the one which say 3/2g.  

That was working for me 🙂

But is a drawback. You will only have 3 G signal :(. So when i needed to use for LTE i switch to LTE otherwise i stay on 3g

So is a temporary solution 🙂 

Need Help? Let's chat.