cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Public and Walmart

tunestir
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

This may sound like a silly question, But: I told a friend to check out public and while he was looking at phones somewhere, the salesperson told him that Public Mobile was no longer accepting new accounts, that they were honoring existing accounts, but not opening new ones. I was more than surprised to hear that, had not seen or heard anything about that, so. . my question . . Is there anything to this rumor?

Thanks in advance!

12 REPLIES 12

@BKNS27 wrote:

@tunestir 

I know that Walmart, London Drugs and other retailers including the Telus/Koodo stores stopped activating new SIM for new customers for over a year now.

All new activations are done online by the customers.

I think what this is what they mean and for existing customers, they will sell PM vouchers.

The best place to purchase is SIM is at Canadian Cell Supplies online for $5 with faster shipping than from PM.

If you are in the Mississauga/Oakville area, you can arrange for pickup.

Also available at Amazon for $8.39.

It wasn't over a year ago. It was in July.

BKNS27
Mayor / Maire

@tunestir 

I know that Walmart, London Drugs and other retailers including the Telus/Koodo stores stopped activating new SIM for new customers for over a year now.

All new activations are done online by the customers.

I think what this is what they mean and for existing customers, they will sell PM vouchers.

The best place to purchase is SIM is at Canadian Cell Supplies online for $5 with faster shipping than from PM.

If you are in the Mississauga/Oakville area, you can arrange for pickup.

Also available at Amazon for $8.39.

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@hTideGnow 

Due to demand the owner sourced extra stock of pm Sim cards to sell to his customers.He offers no other pm product.

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@dust2dust 

Lol....nice catch.

HI @dust2dust   I thought CCS only wants to clear their PM sim inventory and will no longer have any tie with PM

They still have promotion for PM activation?

@darlicious- Did CCS open up shop in the greater Vancouver area?

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

HI @tunestir   I think since they no longer getting commission selling PM , they don't bother to provide you the true.  

Walmart mobile is ok, but problem is their sales are usually very short term (worse that Bestbuy Mobile or other bigger mobile chains), so many of them are new and don't know much. All they care is their pay

DDM69
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Walmart employee is just wrong and misinformed.  They probably also think the earth is flat 🙄

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@tunestir 

Good ol' Walmart still spreading misinformation despite being dropped as a retail partner. As of July 13th 2022 all retail level sales of public mobile plans, products and activations ceased as pm moved back to its roots of a online only mobile provider. Sales of Sim cards at the retail level are at select corporate telus and koodo stores and some mobile klinik locations. Unofficially they can be picked up in the GTA thru Canadian Cell Supplies. Otherwise they can be ordered online at Public Mobile and Amazon.

PM vouchers can still be purchased at most of the same retailers as before....but Walmart is YMMV and TMS no longer sells vouchers.

Edit in bold.

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@tunestir PM is still accepting activation, just everything done online

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Announcements/Your-Public-Mobile-experience-just-got-...

Your friend needs to get a sim card from local Telus or Koodo store, or Amazon.  Once got the sim card activate here with your friend referral code: https://activate.publicmobile.ca/

Of course, any question, your friend can post it for quick response. If account/fund related, your friend can always open ticket with PM support

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

@tunestir 

PM is thriving and growing. Best cell provider currently available in Canada....IMO

Handy1
Mayor / Maire

@tunestir  You can still open account with public mobile , just it’s all self serve  and online activation .. there was a time when you could go to Walmart get SIM card and have them activate it for you but that is no longer the case 

Need Help? Let's chat.