cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Public Mobile needs an App - HEY WAIT - They do !!! Well Maybe. ESIM??

smp99
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Just noticed on the Apple App store that Public Mobile now has an app. Apparently also for Android.

Says it cannot connect now due to a tech error, so likely not ready for Prime Time. It does say Telus company

BUT - one of the screen shots they provide makes mention of an ESIM 

9A1E1BFC-7F84-421C-975E-49585A3AD394_1_105_c.jpeg

30 REPLIES 30

smp99

Sorry, but I am not James 

https://www.iphoneincanada.ca/2023/05/21/public-mobile-apps-5g/

Last line, Thanks James, 

@smp99 , are you James? 🤔

@smp99 because the top secret was leaked.. you are in danger.. LoL

@smp99 wrote:

Well, the app has been updated. Instead of “Due to technical error “ it now says “Maintenance Mode app under maintenance “. And the button now says “Go to website”

@smp99 yes, I saw that this morning too.

smp99

Well, the app has been updated. Instead of “Due to technical error “ it now says “Maintenance Mode app under maintenance “. And the button now says “Go to website”

Nezgar
Mayor / Maire

For posterity, I'm posting the pictures from the Google Play store listing.. [As of May 21, 2023] These will probably change as time goes on. Of course in reality at this time for me the app just indicates "Maintenance Mode"

Public Mobile App 1.pngPublic Mobile App 2.pngPublic Mobile App 3.pngPublic Mobile App 4.pngPublic Mobile App 5.png

DennyCrane
Mayor / Maire

App looks legit. It says it's down for maintenance and redirects me to PM's website. I'm thinking it got uploaded to the PlayStore early, but it does look legit and the branding seems aligned with that other document in the thread about unlimited data throttling. Sounds like some big changes coming to Public Mobile. 

Community_QA
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Thanks for letting us know

I don't care the app, but eSIM is great

gpixel
Mayor / Maire

I think it's a legit app in beta form. it must be coming out soon. over the past couple years PM has turned into a Google type of advertising and has been leaking out new features, plans etc. in this type of manner. PM has basically abandoned the triangle and is trying to compete against phonebox

"Canada's first 5g subscription phone service" hmmm I'm pretty sure phonebox was the first to do it...

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

HI @smp99   good news, and 2 good news on the same day, App and eSIM

Looking at the screenshot, look like we cannot do much on the app.  I don't see any trace of buying add-ons there. Let's hope we can do it

LitlLdy
Mayor / Maire

Please don't think I am unappreciative of this post! I find it interesting. I love sharing ideas & opinions with each other. 🙂 

umnikke8

So, more of my thoughts, since these Apps are offered by the Telus accounts on both Google and Apple app stores, it seems unlikely that someone would be able to acquire credentials for both to put out illegitimate apps, but still possible.

I think they are more likely to be early versions of an update coming soon or testing for something in the future. Probably these Apps weren't meant to be released to the public just yet, unless they are launching on Wednesday. But even given any of that, I would doubt that they would fill the descriptions with such features unless they were pondering or planning on releasing those features in a reasonable time frame.

@umnikke8 , if it turns out to be legit I’m gonna make sure I’m one of the last to try it sort of speak. Let everyone else be the testers 🤣 I’m a negative person 😂 

It seems odd that PM would release an app that hasn’t even been announced on here! I would think we as Customers would be the 1st to know!

Edit: I’d be a little leery of PM offering the option of eSIM any time soon due to the fact they aren’t able to fix the technical issues that are already ongoing. No need to add more issues!  😬

@umnikke8 

I doubt unlimited data is coming here

eSIM or not, it is more depends on if Apple is pushing it here.   I have a feeling eSIM only iPhone is coming to Canada soon and PM has no choice but to be compliant with the big player

umnikke8

Ya, typically you wouldn't think of these things with Public. But really they don't need to be differentiator between the different Telus tier brands. They can offer "5G" plans at a higher price, same with unlimited. Chatr/Lucky already offer unlimited with heavily throttled data. As for eSims I don't know whether there is a big cost, but Lucky already offers those too.

@umnikke8 wrote:

From the App description:

"Sign up for Canada's first 5G subscription phone service in a few simple steps."

"Save with a 90 day subscription"

"choose from 5G speed plans and unlimited data"

@umnikke8 , that doesn’t sound like it would be Public Mobile! I’d say they made a huge mistake in what company it is but I’ve been wrong about things many times before 🤣. I don’t think it would be a good idea to install it but that’s my opinion!

@softech wrote:

over over...confirm we located Public Mobile App..over over

I guess that is why the big maintenance coming up without servers affected 

@softech , and I was thinking the scheduled upcoming maintenance may be due to combining all our accounts into 1 sign in 😆. Doubt it though. I get myself in trouble trying to read minds! 🤣

@umnikke8 wrote:

I also notice they are using a new logo. Is this some kind of big push/change that is upcoming?

Something doesn't seem right here.  The color scheme is even the old one and I can't imagine Public Mobile even cosnidering going back to 90-day plans.. Until Public Mobile says something about this app, I suggest that members not to install it.

umnikke8

I also notice they are using a new logo. Is this some kind of big push/change that is upcoming?

umnikke8

From the App description:

"Sign up for Canada's first 5G subscription phone service in a few simple steps."

"Save with a 90 day subscription"

"choose from 5G speed plans and unlimited data"

It does look real to me.    It was published by Telus on Google Play

https://play.google.com/store/apps/dev?id=8546716841081942158

An interesting fact, it was released on Feb 24, 2023 but no one notice until today

And, PM has it before Koodo?  weird

smp99

FWIW - When I open the app I get "Due to technical error cannot connect now". Then there is a button that says More Info. Pressing the button simply opens the PM home page in a browser. 

I have asked Public Mobile about the authenticity of this app.

XionBunny

An interesting development for sure, now I'm hopeful, will keep an eye on this, as for the logo being different on the app, I've seen that branding here when the community site glitches on my end on occasion, so for all we know they've had another refresh in the works for a while, the app is officially made by Telus according to the android store listing, so odds are this will be rolled out in short order, but who knows, excited regardless.

BKNS27
Mayor / Maire

This is interesting but the logo looks different.

poutinecity
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

I stand corrected. Koodo does have eSIMs but the process is annoying since you need a regular SIM first.

"To move one of your phone numbers to an eSIM, purchase an eSIM voucher at your nearest Koodo store and complete a SIM swap using Self Serve."

poutinecity

Also, Koodo doesn't even have eSIM.  I wonder what's going on here.

poutinecity

I was able to download this.  Interesting that the branding and logos are completely different.  

softech
Oracle
Oracle

over over...confirm we located Public Mobile App..over over

I guess that is why the big maintenance coming up without servers affected 

Handy1
Mayor / Maire

@smp99  That’s interesting,.. but I’m not holding my breath for a public mobile app , thanks for the info thou 🙂

Need Help? Let's chat.