cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Public Mobile is a Scam?

Doesntworkatall
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I recently left Canada on short notice, I will not be back until next year. I did not have time to think about cancelling my Public Mobile service prior to leaving. Now, when I try to login to my account to cancel my service, I need an OTP code. However, I am not getting the OTP code overseas. Also, when trying to submit a ticket, I need to login to my account, which requires OTP. Thus, there is absolutely no way for me to cancel this service, which means this service is a scam (it's fraud when you charge for services that cannot cancelled without a contract defining so)

Thus, do I have to report this fraudulent behavior to my credit card company, or is there another way to resolve this situation?

9 REPLIES 9

Dave_PM

I can understand what you are going through. But we all know PM never said there will be SMS available oversees. And it is asking for SMS ( for authentication ) as it may have found a new login ( from new location or a device ) . PM Engineers did think about safety though. 

We all know the limitation of prepaid services or be ready to pay $15 for big name providers for every day of oversees coverage. 

Support Chatbots everwhere are LLM bots. I am not sure if porting to a VOIP service may solve you problem. You can try that.  

Doesntworkatall

Thanks, I'll send a direct message to CS_Agent and see if that works. The CAN/US plan doesn't work for me as I am in Asia. Cheers

Doesntworkatall

It does give me the email option. After I pass that, it asks me for SMS OTP every time

Phil_Adelphus
Mayor / Maire

@Doesntworkatall  You are not able to get the email option for the code?

@Doesntworkatall  If your having issues with chat bot . You can use this direct link to support and ask them to remove the credit card info right away and you won’t be charged again . Or ask them to help you change to a CAN/US plan like the 50GB $34 CAN/US roaming plan and use your phone in the US until next year when your home 

send  a  private message   To CS_Agent

⬇️⬇️⬇️⬇️⬇️Link below ⬇️⬇️⬇️⬇️⬇️

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

Doesntworkatall

Yeah, I'm not really worried about vouchers PM, Koodo, or Telus - since I don't live in Canada and there's other options when I do go back here and there. I'm just trying to figure out how to cancel my PM subscription - in which I cannot. I've contacted the CCTS so will see how that goes. IF not, will file a dispute with my credit card company or cancel my credit card.

@Doesntworkatall 

Vouchers are payment method you need to purchase from stores to top-up your payment.

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/on/get-help/articles/purchase-a-voucher 

If you are not using PM, Koodo or Telus. You don’t need to use vouchers then. Your only carriers to port your number will be Bell, Rogers or Freedom or their lower tiers.

Doesntworkatall

The support chat on the right hand side is a LLM integration/bot. It's not even a real agent. I do need to login to create a support ticket, but the PM is so incompetent that their engineers didn't think to enable non-SMS based OTP such as Authenticator integration. It is PM's fault that I cannot cancel the service from out of country. That indeed is fraud.

I don't know what you mean by vouchers. I'm never using PM again as it's a highly incompetent telecommunications provider. All I want is to not give this company another dime

BKNS27
Mayor / Maire

@Doesntworkatall 

PM is an online service and you can disable AutoPay/Subscribe when you want. It is not PM fault that you didn’t do this before you left on your trip. You could have login to your account on the PM website oversea and click on Resend Code/Didn’t Receive Code and have the 2FA code sent by email.

BTW, you didn’t need to login to your account to Submit a Ticket. You just need to login to this Community account and click on the Chat bubble. Same thing with the 2FA code for this Community account…by email.

If you dispute the CC charge with your CC company…you will be paying for your monthly payment by vouchers for a year before you can pay with AutoPay.

Need Help? Let's chat.