cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Public Mobile back off the $5 increase on price (Easy & Simple 5 Plans as old times now)

cmobile
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I'm a reseller from Ottawa, got e-mail today and Public Mobile withdraw the provincial plan . All plans are national wide now. Sounds like TELUS did hear customer's voice 🙂

PM Canadawide plans.JPG

32 REPLIES 32

@Meow @Yummy 

Perhaps I should explain fully.....you have a credit card, you set up autopay and forget it. The "bill" gets paid every month and your happy. The beauty of public mobile is its affordable and accessible to customers who come from all walks of life and visitors from all kinds of countries from around the world. Many do not have credit cards from the US or Canada so they cannot be registered or used for payment. Many do not qualify for a credit card, a credit/debit card or even have a bank account. They can still have a pm account.

My former roommate now neighbour eventually got a koho card for his autopay ( he still mostly pays with vouchers) but originally he signed up using my credit card which was subsequently stolen two weeks later. That card stayed on his account for 6 months....never used for autopay for obvious reasons but he recieved his $2 reward every month because of it. My accounts are free but I have an expired kelloggs visa gift card (w/ $0.27 balance) on them for the autopay reward. I have those gift cards registered for autopay for half of my referrals. I have enough still valid cards that if someone needs an autopay card to register for the autopay reward they could private message me and I would pass along the card info....

Your card on file once registered can then expire, become stolen, be on hold, over the limit, have no balance as a gift card or no balance in your bank account, revoked, cut in half, lost somewhere.... you name it as long as its not used for payment it can stay there to collect your $2 autopay reward.

@Anonymous wrote:

That's what I have. I have a spent-out gift card just to satisfy autopay for the 2 bucks and otherwise carry a balance to pay for the plan.

I got you. You use 'valid' CC (valid number, expiry day, etc.) but auto-pay NEVER touches it as you prepay by yourself before bill day.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Yummy , @Meow : That _was_ some confusing wording. Autopay works just fine for many thousands of customers. The payment system here is not entirely bulletproof (it certainly should be). Some don't want to risk it failing and losing service. So they keep a balance by other methods. Even those prepaid "credit" card gift cards. That's what I have. I have a spent-out gift card just to satisfy autopay for the 2 bucks and otherwise carry a balance to pay for the plan.

I think the implication is that there is a higher incidence of Autopay failure when something on the account has been changed such as doing a plan change. Thus placing a balance on the account of enough $ to cover the renewal is good insurance against waking up to No Service because of Autopay Failure.

AE_Collector

Yummy
Mayor / Maire

Same here. Why are you saying registered CreditCard cannot be used for autopay???

Mine worked as expected...

@darlicious wrote:

@Meow 

Some customers prefer to use vouchers for various reasons but commonly the credit card registered for autopay cannot be charged for autopay because it will fail. They simply keep an unchargable card registered to collect the $2 reward.

Sorry, you are confusing me. My CC WAS set-up at auto-pay and it WAS charged today??? I think that is the idea: provide valid CC for auto-pay and forget about payments...

@Meow 

Some customers prefer to use vouchers for various reasons but commonly the credit card registered for autopay cannot be charged for autopay because it will fail. They simply keep an unchargable card registered to collect the $2 reward.

Meow
Mayor / Maire

@Korth wrote:

@Meow wrote:

But why would I need any vouchers if I can just manually pay (add funds on my account) few days in advance?

I was assuming that you prefer AutoPay handles it all for you every month, meaning that you'd want to confirm it works - meaning that you'd have to let it succeed or fail without feeding payment vouchers into your account beforehand. My assumption could be wrong.

You are correct. I prefer auto-pay and it worked as expected today. I did change plan, auto-pay took money for next month, my CC was charged as expected. So far, so good!

Korth
Mayor / Maire

@Meow wrote:

But why would I need any vouchers if I can just manually pay (add funds on my account) few days in advance?

I was assuming that you prefer AutoPay handles it all for you every month, meaning that you'd want to confirm it works - meaning that you'd have to let it succeed or fail without feeding payment vouchers into your account beforehand. My assumption could be wrong.

Although you can pay whatever way you prefer. You can even have AutoPay enabled (to collect $2 Reward and bonus data every month) while buying payment vouchers to keep balance in account every month, if you prefer to not have charges made to credit card.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Meow wrote:

Yes, hybrid payment is the way to go. Lets how very first auto-pay will do the job and if it fails it will be hybrid all the way...

You'll be fine. The vast majority of customers go long periods of time without a care about the payment. You could do a $1 manual payment to test the card if you like. There's a bit of a bug that happens when plans are changed one way (or the other?) but you're staying at $15.

Meow
Mayor / Maire

Yes, hybrid payment is the way to go. Lets how very first auto-pay will do the job and if it fails it will be hybrid all the way...

Yummy
Mayor / Maire

@Meow wrote:

Isn't that what Community calls 'hybrid payment'? You add money to your account few days before billing date and PM will take it from your account first then the rest trough auto-pay if needed?

Anyhow your CC will be charged but with hybrid payment you will avoid any auto-pay failures.

Meow
Mayor / Maire

@Korth wrote:

@Meow wrote:
Nevertheless I initiated plan change and excitingly am waiting to see what is going to happen tomorrow on my billing date. Will auto-pay work? Will plan change to Canada wide?

Chomp, chomp, chomp,... <- sound of nail biting... 🙂

On the plus side, if there are any technical or payment issues - if your plan gets "expired" or "suspended", then "reactivated" - there won't be any charges. You can buy a payment voucher to float through the billing cycle if there is a problem and the PM mods can't fix it promptly, any surplus payments or funds you deposit into the account will be used up first, AutoPay will only charge the rest as needed.

Good to know.

Korth
Mayor / Maire

@Meow wrote:
Nevertheless I initiated plan change and excitingly am waiting to see what is going to happen tomorrow on my billing date. Will auto-pay work? Will plan change to Canada wide?

On the plus side, if there are any technical or payment issues - if your plan gets "expired" or "suspended", then "reactivated" - there won't be any charges. You can buy a payment voucher to float through the billing cycle if there is a problem and the PM mods can't fix it promptly, any surplus payments or funds you deposit into the account will be used up first, AutoPay will only charge the rest as needed.

@AE_Collector wrote:

@Meow 

If you were actually ON the $15 Provincial calling plan you have likely only been a PM customer for less than 2 months? There is always concern with you potentially

Correct. I am very fresh $15 PM customer and I did sign up just when they changed Canada wide to Province wide. As usual, after few days PM come up with 'month free' offer...

Anyone who may have signed up during that narrow window to get a Provincial-wide plan (which has now reverted back up to a Canada-wide plan for same price) can always login Self-Serve and "change plan at next renewal" to get the better version. There's no reason to hang onto a "grandfathered" legacy plan if it's worse than a current in-market plan.

@Meow 

If you were actually ON the $15 Provincial calling plan you have likely only been a PM customer for less than 2 months? There is always concern with you potentially having signed up under a promo such as second month free or a discount each month for first 6 months etc. Not usually any/many discounts on the $15 plan other than maybe second month free via a $15 credit to your account to cover the first renewal. If you have received that credit you are good. In reality most likely you are good making the plan change anyway, I just wanted to point out that there CAN BE potential problems with regards to promotional rewards when doing a plan change.

AE_Collector

cloud7

It's good to see they've done the right thing.  👍 to Public Mobile!

Meow
Mayor / Maire

@JK8 wrote:

@Meow wrote:

My renewal is on 14th this month. Being newbie I do not want to make any plan wise mistakes...

So you are saying just clicking on button 'change plan' will do the trick? Will I use my rewards, discounts, etc.?

Choose the plan you want then select “Change on next renewal date”.

Yes, your rewards etc will be used on renewal.

I did as you advised. Thank you!

Good thing I dropped by by Community today! Always friendly and helpful people around.

JK8
Mayor / Maire

@Meow wrote:

My renewal is on 14th this month. Being newbie I do not want to make any plan wise mistakes...

So you are saying just clicking on button 'change plan' will do the trick? Will I use my rewards, discounts, etc.?

Choose the plan you want then select “Change on next renewal date”.

Yes, your rewards etc will be used on renewal.

@Meow...

you have to either Change at next renewal...or Change now.

Good news! BUT... do I have to change my $15 plan or it will be changed 'automatically'? It still shows 'province-wide'.

cmobile

@computergeek541 wrote:

@cmobile wrote:

PM Canadawide plans.JPG

@cmobile 

Your screenshot doesn't have completely accurate information. The $50 plan also includes calling to the U.S.

Sorry I didn't put all details in one screen shot. In PM page,  if you click the "details" link, you'll see the whole plan details. For a simple screen shot, I'll leave it as is for now. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@computergeek541 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@computergeek541 wrote:

@cmobile 

Your screenshot doesn't have completely accurate information. The $50 plan also includes calling to the U.S.

Not so much inaccurate as incomplete. It's just an abbreviated list.

but you would think that the dealer portal would have it right/complete

...you would think....

(post-count-padding 🙂 )

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

The market has spoken loudly about the price increase!  Customers should give themselves a pat on the back for rebuffing the price increase.  

@Anonymous wrote:

@computergeek541 wrote:

@cmobile 

but you would think that the dealer portal would have it right/complete

Anonymous
Not applicable

@computergeek541 wrote:

@cmobile 

@cmobile wrote:

PM Canadawide plans.JPG

@cmobile 

Need Help? Let's chat.