cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Public Mobile Phone Warranty Issue

angdreid
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I purchased a refurbished I phone from Public Mobile, and it came with a 1 year warranty.  Has anyone had success actually having repairs completed within that warranty time-frame? 

I contacted PM before my warranty had expired and they determined my phone was eligible for repair.  The battery had failed. Turns out it was a replacement battery and actually the incorrect battery had been installed for the make and model I had.  I should mention that the phone had been in an Otterbox case since I received it, so there was no damage to the phone whatsoever.  It just failed.  
PM tells me to take it to a Telus Store to be sent for repair.  We go to 4 different Telus Stores. They all tell me, NO, we no longer accept PM phones for repair.  They will not take the phone. They do not deal with PM warranty issues.  
I tell PM this.  They insist this is what I have to do. I call the Telus Stores again (I’m not driving over 1h to go back to them again).  They tell me the same thing. They do not deal with PM warranty repairs.  
Now PM says warranty repair is not an option because it is past the one year  warranty period.  I’ve been fighting to get a repair for over a month! The phone is sitting in a cupboard because it is unusable.  I asked to be sent a prepaid envelope to send it for repair.  Their only response is to say that I have to bring it to a Telus store that will not accept it.  
I am filing a complaint with the Better Business Bureau. Their warranty is false, they insist to do something that isn’t possible, and they made sure to drag it out until after my warranty period had passed.  

27 REPLIES 27

@angdreid wrote:

They told me multiple times to take it to a Telus store.  Telus store says they no longer deal with PM warranty repairs. I go back and forth.  Public Mobile doesn’t seem to care or accept that Telus will not take the phone. 

Telus stores do provide warranty on a devices purchased through Public Mobile.  It's very unfortunate that the store is given you false information.  I'm going to note that even though a store goes under the Telus banner doesn't mean that it's corporately owned and ran.  Corporate locations are unlikely to give this kind of hassle. 

For future customers, and as for the warranty itself, I wouldn't even mention Public Mobile.  As far as the warranty database, the devices sold by Public Mobile are Telus phones and the IMEI will come up as such.  I highly doubt that the store will even know that it was purcahsed through Public Mobile.  When they ask for your phone number, go ahead and provide it.  Carriers very often refuse process device warranty devices unless you're currently a customer. However, with these CPO devices, there is no manufactuer's warranty and Telus is the company who is actually refurfishing, repairing, cleaning, and certiffying them as properly working.  Refusal to honor the warranty because you're not a Telus Mobility is valid grounds for a CCTS complaint.

@angdreid 

I know this part won't help you because your warranty has expired, I would consider contacting the previously mentioned Mobile Kilinik for mail-in repair service.  That would reduce the amount of the time that customers need to find a location to accept the warranty request.  Going that route could cause repair to take longer, but Mobilie Klinik locations are all Telus-corporate.

@angdreid  Please do tell....names or name of CSAs. Hint hint. 

angdreid

It was a Telus Corporate store and it was (in the beginning) an authorized warranty repair by Public Mobile.  They would not accept the phone as they do not process PM warranty repairs any longer. PM insists they do but they do not.  Since it has taken so long, the warranty has now expired.  

@softech wrote:

@angdreid   which CS agents are dealing with it?  ask them to escalate and they them the store you went.  Ask them which specific store in your area they recommend you to go.  And don't go there yet, call that store and make sure they will deal with it

@angdreid Please do tell....names or name of CSAs. Hint hint. 

@softech excellent point!

CountyDownIeUk
Mayor / Maire

@angdreid 

Makes sense that Telus would not want to be involved  with it. Is PM covering the cost to repair even though out of warranty? You would think PM would give you an authorization number for the repair. 

What kind and model of phone is it?

Keep in mind that there are Telus Corporate store vs a franchise. And Telus owns a repair shop called Mobile Klinik. If in lower mainland....at Coquitlam Center and Langley at Willow Brook. 

EE305A15-F567-4B19-91E9-847CFCC24A70.jpeg

Maybe you are supposed to go to a corporate store or Mobile Klinik. But for some reason I doubt it. Lots of stuff here not on the same set of  rail tracks. 

angdreid

@J_PM  has not got back to me.  I do

not know how I’m supposed to force Telus to take my phone for warranty repair when they do not accept them.  They have forced this situation to go over the warranty period covered, even though my ticket was submitted before warranty was up.  

@angdreid    This run around is absolutely terrible.  Try tagging J_PM directly yourself because I'm not sure if she got back to you from softech's tag earlier or ask the CSA to escalate this to a supervisor.

angdreid

This is what they keep responding to me:

We are really sorry that your experience in the store was not on top of your expectation and that they misguided you with the technical reparations.

The only solution, in this case, was to go back to the Telus store and repair the phone.

How can this possibly be a solution if the Telus store will not take the phone for warranty repair.  I cannot force Telus to take the phone.  
This is a cycle of me saying they won’t accept it and then telling me to take it there.  Oh.  And now they say my phone is now past the warranty period.  I have had a ticket submitted since October and the phone was under warranty when I submitted it.  

angdreid

Nothing so far. 

@angdreid   I have tagged Community manager @J_PM , let's hope she can step in and got you the help you need.

angdreid

I’m not driving back to the store again.  It’s an hour away.  I can call them and get the same response.  They do not take PM for warranty repair.  PM does not care.  That is their only response. Take it to a Telus store.  No one should purchase a refurbished phone from Public Mobile and expect the warranty is legitimate. 

angdreid

Already escalated.  That went nowhere.  Same directions. Please take your phone to a Telus store.  Oh! And an added - but sorry, now your phone warranty has expired so we aren’t sure if we can cover anything.  

angdreid

I have yet to be able to find a contact number for PM or find how to request a call back.  No one has offered to contact me to deal with this issue in the over 10 points of contact I’ve had with them.  

angdreid

They asked me the location of the store that said no, and then replied ‘thank you, we’ve flagged them’. Nothing else. They have not offered one helpful solution yet.  Why can’t they send a prepaid envelope to return it for repair? Wouldn’t that be simple? 

5EA21641-BCA5-4378-8323-5FA12750BC0B.png

@angdreid   which CS agents are dealing with it?  ask them to escalate and they them the store you went.  Ask them which specific store in your area they recommend you to go.  And don't go there yet, call that store and make sure they will deal with it

@J_PM   what is the situation with CPO warranty,?  OP was turned away by Telus stores but your team has been keep asking OP to go back. Can you step in ?   can you and your team to contact a store in OP's area and make sure they will take the warranty work before suggesting OP to head over? thanks

angdreid

I have dealt with corporate store.  They do not accept PM phones for repair.  

@angdreid   Telus has corporate and non-corporate stores.  use the link I posted above to look for Corporate Telus stores and see what they say

angdreid

I have a ticket in and have been messaging with PM directly. 

angdreid

I did.  Telus says they no longer accept PM phones for warranty repair.  I did have a ticket open.  PM keeps telling me to take it to Telus, who in turn say they won’t accept it, and that I have to contact PM.  It’s a fun circle of life.  Lol

angdreid

I did! 

@angdreid   PM CPO page advises that warranty is taken care via Telus stores here:  https://www.publicmobile.ca/get-help/articles/phone-warranty-returns-repairs

edit:  I'd agree with softech that you need to open a ticket with customer support to get this sorted.

@angdreid @Coverhiro maybe you need to take it to a Corporate Telus store?? those you can find here:

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/on/store-locator

angdreid

They told me multiple times to take it to a Telus store.  Telus store says they no longer deal with PM warranty repairs. I go back and forth.  Public Mobile doesn’t seem to care or accept that Telus will not take the phone. 

Coverhiro
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

I did mine through Koodo. They kept insisting that I just walk into a Telus store. They also gave me a voucher with Mobile Klinik. I'm assuming it'd be similar with PM.

I think it's more to say the Telus store was very reluctant to help acting like it was a big hassle.

I still went through with it, but I can understand how it can be frustrating for people who don't have the time or not sure about what to do.

Is it possible to call Public Mobile directly if in the store for support?

Koodo and Telus required callbacks at the time.

@Coverhiro 

did you first open a ticket with PM support , have them to tell you what to do or where to brong the phone? 

or you just head to the Telus/Koodo store without open ticket with PM??

Coverhiro
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

I brought my phone into a Telus store. The person was very resistant to help. First told me to go the MobileKlinik to ask them for thelp. Telus store told me they had nothing but trouble sending CPO phones for repair. Eventually went back to the Telus store, the person reluctantly tried processing my phone for repair. At first he mentioned not being able to get me an Apple Device loaner to replace my apple repair. Eventually had to call Telus, Koodo and somebody else on the spot.

Eventually, the person did help by finding a way to loan me an apple device while sending my phone in for repairs. The process took a few hours, not to mention trying to transfer data from one buggy device to another.

When I got my phone back, they said they reset the phone.

I called Telus Customer support and the person tried to reassure me that all new smart phones are buggy, randomly shut off sometimes during calls, get heated batteries and so on. I was with public mobile, went to Koodo and now back. Most likely have to take care of my own device and repairs unless I buy a new phone and its within it's warranty or I pay for a monthly protection plan.

Yes it was a hassle. My CPO phone came with 350 battery cycles, since the health shows 87%, they won't really replace the battery.

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@angdreid   ask them to escalate to senior support

Also, I think they usually ask people to send to MobileKlinik for reparing job and not Telus store.

Need Help? Let's chat.