cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Public Mobile Locked my Unlocked BYOD phone(?)

Sadhappygambler
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi!

I bought a iPhone 6s+ in 2015 directly from the Apple store online and as such it was unlocked from day one.   It worked fine as an unlocked phone and I used it on numerous carriers including public mobile often swapping cards when I roamed to other countries. 

Last month it had warranty issues so I exchanged it with Apple and they provided me with a new identical replacement.  I put my public mobile SIM card into it and it worked fine.  

However now I'm roaming in the US on holiday in Vegas and as usual I swapped my SIM to my roammobility card which has worked fine in the past.  This time though it tells me "SIM not supported" as if the phone is locked.  I further tested my wife's roammobility card in my phone (same problem) and my roammobility card in her unlocked phone (works fine).  So clearly my direct from Apple BYOD phone is strangely locked. 

I contacted Apple to ask how my phone could be locked since it was a direct from Apple device not purchased through a carrier.  They told me:

"It appears that when this device was reactivated with your carrier they locked it into the network.  In order for you to be able to use it for different carriers you will need to contact them and have them unlock it from their system."

When I asked how it was possible a carrier could just lock an unlocked  BYOD phone they told me:

"It's most likely unintentional"

And when I asked if Apple could just override the errant lock they said:

"Unfortunately we are unable to do that. The lock process is actually something that is initiated by the carrier once you have the device on their network. 

I do hope that you are able to resolve this without too much hassle"

I do understand that for public mobile to unlock my phone it needs my IMEI but I am unsure if it's safe to put it on a public forum... if it is safe to do so I don't mind sharing it. 

Obviously I'd really like to be able to use my phone in Vega so if there's tips on speeding up resolution I'd appreciate it!

Thanks all!

37 REPLIES 37

@Kathy1, I hope this does get cleared up for you very soon.  I do understand Telus' point a bit.  If it was Koodo or Telus it would have been a phone that they have sold.  Providers don't have to unlock phones from other networks and as PM doesn't sell phones they can just say they did not sell the phone as they didn't.

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

Kathy1
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

@ShawnC13 thanks for the link - curious that this unlocker site doesnt ask for additional info beyond IMEI. Drop down doesnt have a Public option, so I presume I select Telus.

The device was brand new, sealed unit so possibly it is a BlackBerry lock to the first carrier. I will call tomorrow to check. I do have to say that it is frustrating that I spent 2.5 hours with various Telus Care agents and in the end they said that since the device was not bought from Koodo/Telus they cannot help with other carriers.  I asked if she meant Freedom, and she said no “Public” they are not able to resolve for them. Given the code requirements this seems offside - as Public = TELUS.

@Kathy1, sorry you are having problems.  I agree with @Luddite that PM doesn't lock phones.  I have used 3 different phones in the last year and yes a couple expensive ones and none have been locked.  I was trying to read about the KEYone but couldn't find the info I was asking.  Was it brand new when you got it and had it been used on any other network?  I was searching to see if the KEYone locks itself to the network of the first SIM that is installed in it, but I couldn't find anything that confirmed or denied this.  If that is the case that is a MANUFACTURER design and nothing to  with the networks.  IF you can contact Blackberry and ask if that is the case with this phone that could be your solution.  Or you could try this link to get an unlock code  https://www.unlockunit.com/unlock-blackberry-keyone-022407

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

Kathy1

Public may not have meant to but certainly they have locked a $900 phone that was unlocked before putting the Sim in. Telus care was trying to review and acknowledge the issue but have chosen to distance themselves from Public and said they can't help unless it was sold by Koodo or Telus. They said to call BlackBerry.

Shameful.

@Kathy1 Public Mobile does not place a lock on any phone used on its network. Telus/Koodo locked phones will work on PM; they are the only locked phones that will. Some info on this issue: https://forums.crackberry.com/blackberry-unlocking-f157/need-help-finding-my-blackberry-network-mep-...

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

Kathy1

I got a new unlocked BlackBerry Keyone in June and transferred the SIM from my iPhone. 

I was having a ton of problems with data working in the last two weeks, and today ported my # to Freedom Mobile. When I put in the Freedom SIM it asks me for the "Network MEP Unlock Code".

I tried *611 unsuccessfully with Public before my number moved, and even went into a TELUS store where they said they couldnt help me. I am very frustrated that Public is playing this game and locking a phone they didn't sell me.

I tried buying an unlock code, but BlackBerry requires a PRD# to unlock it and I tried various solutions from crackberry unsuccessfully, tried asking TELUS care and all do not have it.

Not cool that after CRTC reg's come in that Public is exposed for these games.......help I was a happy PM customer for almost a year.

MK78
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

I suspect what happened is this.

Apple has two sets of phones available for replacements when they determine a phone needs to be replaced rather than repaired.

1. Phones for carrier replacements, which are not locked to a specific carrier, but lock themselves to the network of the first SIM inserted.

2. Phones for unlocked replacements, which are just like factory unlocked bought from them. They do not re-lock.

So what probably happened, is that they just gave you a phone that was supposed to only be used for carrier replacements.

I had a factory unlocked iPhone 6 replaced a couple years ago due to battery/logic board issues, I was with Rogers at the time and had no problem selling it to a Telus subscriber, he put his SIM in and off he went.

@Sadhappygambler, another Victorian I see.  There are a few of us on here and I know some more on the PM network that don't visit here much

jeffster1970

@mimmo wrote:

you will need to send your imei to teh moderators as well as teh rest of yoru info to see what can be done.

Well played....

@Sadhappygambler wrote:

Just to add some more info to this discussion:

The phone exchange was done via mail as there is no apple store near my home (Victoria, BC).  As it has Apple Care Plus the exchange is done via "express replacement" which essentially means they take your credit card as a deposit (in case you don't return the old phone), they mail you the replacement, you then use the same box and mail the old phone back to Apple.  

The original phone was also bought online via the apple store and mailed to me (and didn't suffer the same problem).  In this household, we have probably gone through about 8 phones in the past 3 years received via mail from Apple - this was the only one to behave in this manner.  

Further private discussions with the PM moderators indicate that from their experience this is an extremely rare incident and they made it sound like it'd be lightning striking twice for it to happen again to me - so I need not worry or plan for it re-occuring with future phones.,

Thanks for clarifying that you had Apple ship you a replacement device. The end result is the same though.  Apple messed up by sending you a replacement phone that they they didn't enter into their system as unlocked (ie. they sent you a locked phone/a phone that would automatically lock to the carrier of the first sim card that you inserted).  Whoever processed your warranty exchange made a mistake.

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

Thanks for the additional info, @Sadhappygambler.  

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

Sadhappygambler

Just to add some more info to this discussion:

The phone exchange was done via mail as there is no apple store near my home (Victoria, BC).  As it has Apple Care Plus the exchange is done via "express replacement" which essentially means they take your credit card as a deposit (in case you don't return the old phone), they mail you the replacement, you then use the same box and mail the old phone back to Apple.  

The original phone was also bought online via the apple store and mailed to me (and didn't suffer the same problem).  In this household, we have probably gone through about 8 phones in the past 3 years received via mail from Apple - this was the only one to behave in this manner.  

Further private discussions with the PM moderators indicate that from their experience this is an extremely rare incident and they made it sound like it'd be lightning striking twice for it to happen again to me - so I need not worry or plan for it re-occuring with future phones.,

@denkom wrote:

Interesting. After the phone locks, do they just automatically unlock it over the air? Or do you have to go into the apple store and ask them to unlock it?

In this situation, an unlocked iPhone was sold by Apple to the customer.  When it was exchanged under warranty, right there in the store, the employee was supposed to follow the process to have the IMEI of the replacement updated in the Apple database to allow iTunes activation using any carrier's sim card.  The store didn't do that.  There are actually no such thing as unlock codes for Apple phones.  All locking is done on the Apple end. 

This issue had nothing to do with Public, and it wasn't Public who locked this phone.  This was completely on Apple.  It is good, however, to see that Public Mobile was able to assist the customer to get the replacement unlocked.  Note though that Public Mobile really had no obligation to do this. 

denkom

Thanks @srlawren - that makes sense. I guess a good rule of thumb if you are getting a replacement phone from apple is to remind them your original was unlocked.

srlawren

@denkom as I've never owned an iPhone to need to exchange, I don't know how the warranty exchange works.  I would *assume* that if you went to an Apple Store retail location for assistance and they supplied the replacement, that they would re-unlock it for you.  Then again, you might need to ask/remind them that your original was purchased unlocked?  I really don't know.  I do know that unlocking an iPhone is more complicated than unlocking an Android.  Eseentially the phone's ESN needs to be added to Apple's database of unlocked devices [I think in addition to the device itsemf needing an unlock code?].  So, if you're purchasing unlocked direct from Apple online or at an Apple Store, I believe they do this for you.  Or, if you purchased through a carrier and then later pay* them to unlock it, the carrier puts in the request to Apple to add your ESN to the database.  

* up to the end of this month, anyway; I believe they are not allowed to charge you any more as of Dec 1st, though you may still need to meet certain conditions.  I'm fuzzy on these details.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

denkom

Interesting. After the phone locks, do they just automatically unlock it over the air? Or do you have to go into the apple store and ask them to unlock it?

srlawren

To be clear, it's not Public Mobile that's locking the phone--they have taken no action that resulted in this.  Apple phones are designed to lock to the network of the first SIM card that's inserted in them.  When you buy the phone outright unlocked in the Apple store, they they unlock it for you after it initially locks.  Same with Samsung Experience stores.  The problem is that Apple didn't provide an unlock code for a warranty replacement unit, so the phone did as it's designed and locked to the first network it saw (PM). 

crazycolby
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

first I hear this issue.

denkom

Nice, glad the moderators were able to help you out. 

Wonder_why
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

Awesome news , good works PM 

Sadhappygambler

Hi!

The moderators here at PM solved it - they were able to confirm it was locked and then unlock it.

I'm already back in Canada, so to test it I placed the offending sim card in the phone.  Previously the phone would lock out until I removed the sim card, now after going through an appleID login, it let me back into my phone with the offending sim card still in it. 

I still am unclear on the original cause of the problem (I'm not disagreeing with those of you who seem confident the fault lies with Apple - I've just not been told officially either way).  I'm not sure if this is good news or bad news but coincidentally I need to warranty exchange my phone again with Apple soon, so perhaps there's going to be another opportunity to investigate further...  I'll report anything new I learn here.

Thanks all! 

sharmaa

This is quite strange. As pointed by many others, it is most likely from Apple's end but contacting the moderators would confirm that I guess. Also, once you have that information and you share it with apple, having the track record they have when it comes to customer service they will probably just send you a new phone. Goodluck and hopefully you can get this resolved ASAP.  

photosbydan
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Interesting situation, I hope Apple can solve it for you, and please let us know what you figure out!

Michael77
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

I would agree. This is an Apple issue. Good luck and please let us know the resolution. Thanks.

denkom

Wow I’ve never heard of this happening before. Hopefully you can get it resolved soon. Definitely sounds like the issue came from Apple.

This issue has nothing to do with Public Mobile and while Public likely could get the phone unlocked you through normal channels, it would cost the company the applicable fees to Apple and they would want to charge you the current advertised fee.  Public Mobile/Telus did not and cannot lock your phone on you.  Your issue is 100% with the Apple store.

The actual locking an unlocking of iPhone devices is controlled by Apple via a database of IMEI numbers.  The IMEI of a phone needs to be on a whitelist of unlocked IMEI numbers.  Since you purchased this phone directly from Apple, Apple is the only entity that can fix this for you.  When Apple exchanged your phone, they did not give you a factory unlocked device.  Apple needs to add your IMEI as being unlocked or exhcnage your device again for one that is already properly unlocked.  The response you got from Apple customer service was an example of poor service, and the person likely not understanding your product issue.

Long story short:  This is Apple's mess up and Apple is the one who needs to fix this for you.

Stormy

@Sadhappygambler wrote:

@Andy1000 wrote:

The replacement phone you got from is not factory unlocked. The gave you the one that lockes to the first sim used so you need to contact Apple to unlock it for you. 

Thanks Andy1000.  However I started by contacting Apple (see my OP) and they said the opposite : that they couldn't help at all and I should contact my carrier that locked it.  

Given Apple's high standards of customer service could they really send me a not factory unlocked phone under their applecare plus program by mistake?   I guess anything is possible but the phone was brand new (not even refurbished according to Apple).  

Your theory does make more sense though than what Apple told me.   I find it unbelievable that a carrier could lock a completely unlocked phone at their complete discretion which is what Apple is telling me.

I'll see what the PM mods discover before seeing if I need to go back to Apple for round 2.  

If you do a search on Red Flag Deals you will find that that is inded the case.I have seen numerous threads there about people getting warranty replacements from Apple for unlocked phones and the replacement locked itself to their carrier upon putting in the SIM. The only way they resolved it was by calling Apple or going directly to an Apple store and getting the replacement replaced with an actual unlocked phone.

Both Apple and Samsung (and any other phone manufacturer) really should stop calling the phones that lock to the carrier on SIM insertion unlocked phones.

srlawren

@xCameron94x wrote:

@Wonder_why wrote:

Really strange to hear, once the phone is unlocked,the phone provider can't locked it 

samsung does the same with new/unlocked phones. Once a sim is inserted for the first time, it locks to the carrier, but samsung provides an unlock code in the box

@xCameron94x the other big difference is that Samsung (and Android phones in general) don't need to be updated in the manufacturer's database to actually unlock.  

imm1304

Hi @Sadhappygambler!

Private messaging the mods is the way to provide personal info to PM.  

In my 2+ years with PM, I have not heard of PM ever locking anyone's unlocked phones.. including 3 of my personal phones.  I am also leaning towards the explanation that Apple gave you the phone that locks to the first sim inserted, by mistake of course.  Don't be too trusting of all employees at Apple, they're known to be a mix of good and bad and are trained to send you away as quickly as possible.  

Anyways, I hope you are able to get the matter resolved promptly so you can go back to enjoying yourself in Vegas.  

@Sadhappygambler, if your Roam sim worked in your old iPhone after being with PM why wouldn't this one.  I don't PM can lock a phone to their network.  As stated some phones lock to the first sim that is placed in that but that is by manufacturer design.  I think this issue is with Apple.

Need Help? Let's chat.