cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problems with Hot spot

J-L
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

My Husband is trying to hotspot his tablet ( android, Samsung) to his phone (android, umidigi). The tablet connects but says no internet available. His data works on his phone, just not for the tablet. 

We have the same phone. His phone can hotspot on my phone, his tablet can hotspot on my phone. My phone cannot hotspot on his phone ( again it connects but no internet available)

We have checked the APN settings, he has DUN. All of his details are the same as mine for all of the settings and values.

Any ideas what we can do to make his hotspot work?

26 REPLIES 26

JL9
Mayor / Maire

Great thanks. I will keep this in mind and search this if and when I need it again 

@J-L   Yes, the space could be a killer sometime.  You are lucky you have two to compare side by side, I can tell you if without, probably you will never figure it out.. LoL. 

Happy Hotspoting!!

J-L

@JL9  see my last response ( I saw your question just after I posted) . My husband's phone had a space before DUN that should not have been there, and previously  ( months ago) I could not hotspot from my phone. We found that dun did not work on my phone, it had to be DUN. So I suggest you try checking both of those and possibly retyping the values or checking for spaces and commas that should or should not be there. I will try to attach a screenshot  ( I actually had to take 3 to get all the info in, in Order... A lot of the values in the list are actually empty. The 3 screenshots have some overlap. The MMS proxy and the APN with DUN at the end were the values that were important to check for us, but you may need to check the other values too so I hope this helps.

Screenshot_20220430-201322.png

Screenshot_20220430-201306.png

Screenshot_20220430-201240.png

J-L

SUCCESS!!😁

I was taking screen shots of the APN values. Then decided to compare phones side by side myself. On my phone the values were in a continuous line and only wrapped around once to a new line, on my husband's phone the values were in shorter rows and wrapped around to a new line twice. So I thought maybe there was a space at the end of the row that should not be there. Then decided to try changing DUN to dun myself,  and see if it would let me..... When I deleted DUN it looked like there was a space before I typed dun so I back spaced again and there was a space ( it did not look like an extra space originally, but I guess it was) so I just typed DUN again and saved it... It allowed me to save it (this time)  I hotspotted it then tried connecting with my phone and IT WORKED!!! 😁.....so I guess sometimes it's hard to tell there is a space that should not be there, in those long lists of tiny letters and commas and spaces/ no spaces lol.

Thank you @darlicious , @softeck, @dust2dust , @popping , @hTideGnow  and if I missed anyone else. Thanks for being so quick to respond for all your suggestions, I'm not sure which to choose as solution as all of your ideas helped (or do oracles choose the accepted solution?)

Again, this is such a great community!!! 😊

JL9
Mayor / Maire

Did this work? Because I attempted to use my phone data as a hotspot for my laptop when my wifi went down and it seemed to work the first time, but when I did it a week later I wasn't as lucky within about 10-15 mins the wifi kicked back on (I actually think I have a wonky wifi adapter) so didn't explore further but would be nice to know if it happens again.

@J-L wrote:

It has all of that except it's DUN not dun. It won't let him save it when he tried to change DUN to dun.... But mine has it DUN and all the other same values and it works on my phone ( same phone, same model)

@J-L   either create a new one, or fool the phone by taking away the DUN first, save once, then go back and add dun back and save again

J-L

We didn't have freedom sim last time. We've been with Public Mobile for several years now. I will contact customer support too. 

J-L

Yes, I remember we had to capitalize DUN last time to make it work, that's why we checked his and thought maybe changing that might help lol... We have operating system 10. . 

I will double check everything again but I was sure we checked commas etc. carefully. There is a very long list of values there. Lol (it's not emergency for us to get this tonight so when our son comes over I'll have him check and try things too. We just want to be able to hotspot if I use up all my data before my plan renews ( his just renewed, mine is middle of month) and it's good to be able to hotspot for his tablet when needed. I will also ask customer support.  

J-L

It has all of that except it's DUN not dun. It won't let him save it when he tried to change DUN to dun.... But mine has it DUN and all the other same values and it works on my phone ( same phone, same model)

@J-L   If it cannot be edited, can you create a new one?  Try it

yes, make sure default,supl,mms,dun are there in the  APN type field. 

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@J-L 

That seemed to be the defining difference last time with dun not doing the trick only DUN. The error message is interesting....?

To contact customer support click below:

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

To pre-verify your account include in your private messaging only your full name, address, email, phone # and 4 digit acct pin #.

J-L

Do you know if it matters if it is DUN or dun? Both phones have it capitalized, just thought it might make a difference or be worth trying to change it. But it would not allow him to save it. I guess it was not actually greyed out ( it wasn't greyed, it made a statement along the lines of "(something) won't allow you to make changes (to APN???)" I don't remember the exact wording)

J-L

Rebooting did not work.

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@J-L 

Hmmm...go over them again maybe a comma is missing....and contact customer support. It can't hurt to have that configuration file handy.

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

To pre-verify your account include in your private messaging only your full name, address, email, phone # and 4 digit acct pin #.

J-L

It's  not greyed out, but DUN is actually there. One of the number values in one of the other things in the long list was missing something, we were able to add that and saved it ( that was before I posted this) so now all the settings are same as my phone, but his still can't hotspot. 

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@J-L 

The OS is updated to at least Android 9 is it not? Do you still have access to that freedom SIM card? You can contact customer support for the configuration file. Save a copy for future issues then install it to get the APN corrected. CSA response time is around an hour.

dust2dust
Mayor / Maire

Can you provide images of your apn settings. Top to bottom.

J-L

It's  not greyed out

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@J-L 

Is the edit option greyed out or you can't save it?

J-L

We tried the Bluetooth but not rebooting. Will try that rebooting.

J-L

We don't want to hotspot from the tablet we want to hotspot from his phone. My phone does allow his tablet and his phone to hotspot from my phone data, but his phone only allows my phone and the tablet to connect but then it says no data available. Both phones have all the same APN values in the settings. 

J-L

Hello again! It's been awhile since I've been on here. 😊

Was actually my phone having the problem last time (we traded phones, so I could have more data lol) yes we had to add DUN and one other value, so that's why we compared the 2 phones and they both have the same values for everything. Tried to change DUN to dun Incase that made a difference but it would not allow us to change that ( this time), we checked the password too. 

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@popping 

Other way around....they want to hotspot the data from the phone to the tablet. It was accomplished previously but the husband's phone is not allowing it this time around.

@J-L 

Have you double checked the APN on your husband's phone? Maybe it reset/defaulted back to the previously unDUNned one?

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@J-L 

Is your husband's Samsung tablet support mobile SIM card?

If yes,

1.  insert a SIM with data plan, power up 

2.  Setup APN correctly for the data network provided by that SIM card.

3.  Disable wifi on the tablet.  Check whether you can browse Internet using only the mobile data.  If yes, the tablet is setup to provide mobile data to provide WiFi hot spot to other devices.

If the tablet does not support SIM card, your tablet cannot be used to provide hot spot to other devices.

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@J-L 

Did your husband previously get his hotspot working last time if I recall correctly? Did he set up a password that he needs to enter or a WiFi hotspot nickname?

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

hi @J-L just a suggestion,  try Bluetooth Hotspot (Bluetooth tethering) maybe that will work

Try to have your husband phone reboot once, and turn off data saver on it

Need Help? Let's chat.