cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem with new account

AnnNina
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I have recently opened a Public Mobile account and it was activated. The service is the 3G $15plan.  This should give me free texting, a small amount of call time and a small amount of date.  However, there are a couple of problems.

If I send International texts, they are shown as either "Received" or "Delivered".  However, the recipients (I have tried several in the UK and France) don't receive the texts.  Sending texts to another phone in Canada is successful.

If I try to phone (voice) with from another Canadian cellphone to the cellphone with the new account (both with Public mobile accounts), a service message is sent to me, saying that the customer cannot be reached.  If I phone (voice) from the new account to another cellphone, the call goes through correctly.

The only thing I have done to try to solve this is check that the APN is correct and it is.

Please help!

28 REPLIES 28

@AnnNina you checked the Community inbox??

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/privatenotespage

it has been over 48 hours  if still no reply, please open ticket again.  Better to open use Chatbot as you will have a ticket number 

AnnNina

I have heard nothing from any CSV_Agent since I raised a ticket on Friday.  Is this delay to be expected?

Thank you

AnnNina

I have been doing more testing. For a different phone and SIM card (also Public Mobile), I can send and receive international texts.  If I put this SIM card (nano) into the problem phone (with a converter because of the micro SIM required by the older problem phone), when I power up the problem phone, the system says "No SIM card".  So, perhaps the phone is not connecting to the SIM card contacts.

The problem phone always worked for International texts with my previous provider (Rogers) and it will still send and receive texts to Canadian numbers.

I have put everything back to what it was originally and the problem remains.  I think that I have exhausted any testing I can do and I am now awaiting a response from a CS_Agent.

@AnnNina  No worries we here to help , hope you get it sorted out smoothly and quickly @AnnNina 

AnnNina

Thank you for the heads-up.

AnnNina

Thank you for the instructions about how to change the default messaging type.  Unfortunately, the  phone is running Android 6.0 (a Moto G2).  I know that it should be replaced for a variety of reasons; security, memory size, features not supported etc.  Settings looks a bit different and there is no "default" type to select.  However, all of the MMS checkboxes are unchecked.

There is another phone (Moto G Power 2020), which also has a Public Mobile account.  However, I am still trying to confirm whether it is also having problems.  I am suspicious that it might have, though everything has worked on it in the past (over a year on Public Mobile).  This phone is running Androd 10 and also doesn't have the options you describe.  Maybe the instructions are more applicable to iPhones.

@AnnNina  Sometimes the initial response seems to take the longest , but once you get a reply any back and forth communication you have is fairly quick and painless ..just watch your envelope top of page to the right for the a response , hope you get everything sorted out quickly 

Yes, @AnnNina , it should be.

To be certain, try adjusting Chat messages options.

1. tap Messaging app, 
  2. tap 3 little dots top right, 
  3. select Settings, 
  4. under Chat settings, scroll to "Select default messaging type", 
  5. toggle it to Automatic or Text/multimedia msg

Can another person in your household try texting the same individual - presumably they can reach them?   Also, try your Public Mobile SIM card in their device - now can you successfully SMS them?  (just trying to troubleshoot whether a device or account/SIM issue...)

AnnNina

Thank you all.  I'll submit a ticket.

@AnnNina  No worries we wanna make sure you get a resolve you can reach out to support if all else fails 

Getting support / submit ticket

• Get help with your account the easy way by starting a conversation with our virtual assistant, SIMon. It’ll take you to relevant help articles, or if it’s something more urgent, it can help you submit a ticket to our Agents. Click here                 

Or while your already here and logged in the community

• you can send a private message to our  CS_Agents by clicking here.

AnnNina

I am just sending a text from the built-in Android messaging app.  So far as I know, the default will be to send a simple SMS.

AnnNina

Thank you.  I have now undone the accepted solution.

@AnnNina  Under your name to the right by time stamp you can edit 

OMG, yes @dabr 

Thank you.   🤐

@HALIMACS   You mean the downward arrow top right of post and not 3 dots from a long time ago?  😉

@AnnNina   It happens (accidentally accepting a solution) but you can go back to the post and undo the solution, I believe.

Easy to remove, @AnnNina 

Just tap the 3 dots upper right, and mark as "not the solution"

AnnNina

Sorry, I pressed to accept the solution by mistake.  I have not solved the problems.

@AnnNina   So when you are sending the SMS is the zero in the area code left off from the number?  It won't work with the zero in place.

AnnNina

I did use the + protocol.

@AnnNina   Drop the 0 in front of the area code when dialing numbers for the UK, also you just need to put a + in front of the country code to dial out to international numbers.

AnnNina

Yes, I was porting from Rogers.  The number seemed to be ported within an hour and the phone shows the ported number.

@AnnNina  Try with 1 in front of the number your texting 

edit it will work or it won’t worth trying you won’t be charged any money to try it’s pre paid so you don’t have to worry about a surprise bill 

AnnNina

I have tried this and it didn't help.

AnnNina

No, because the text problem is with international texts, so I used 33 and 44 for France and the UK respectively.

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

@AnnNina 

try restarting phone to see if that helps.

HALIMACS
Mayor / Maire

@AnnNina 

We're you porting from another provider?

Did you respond "YES" to the port authorization request?

Try dialing 1 + 10 digit number when making calls.

EDIT:   also @AnnNina , did you make sure you're sending an SMS message and not an MMS message or iMessage using RCS services?   sometimes those iMessages can give delivery problems when the recipient may not have iMessage capabilities to receive...

Handy1
Mayor / Maire

@AnnNina  Are you putting a 1 before the contact 

Need Help? Let's chat.