cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Porting number to new provider with credit in public account

intez
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I am switching to another provider as they have a sweet deal (Public is still v. nice), and am looking to port over my current number. However, I still have some credit unused (~$40). So a few questions:

1) If I port my current number to the new provider, what will happen to my public account?

2) Are there ways to transfer the credit to another public account, or using it up myself is the only way to go? (I assume no but worth an ask)

16 REPLIES 16

@intez 

If you don't mind using the new number this advice often given to those who travel but is also used by regulars like myself for extra data accounts that we activated when it was just a too good of a deal to pass up....timed correctly if you can reactivate sometime in December to scoop some "more the merrier" add on gifts from pm you can make that $40 credit and your rewards keep your pm account "alive" for more than a year....

1. You can turn off autopay and allow the account to suspend at the of your current 30 day cycle but this is your least advantageous option. Pay and reactivate by day 85 or so.
  2. If you have an account balance that exceeds your plan amount then you need to suspend via the lost/stolen feature in your account before midnight eastern on the evening of your renewal. Then on day 85 or so resume your service to pay and reactivate.
  3. Suspending via lost/stolen before midnight eastern will keep your voicemail active allowing you retrieve voicemail and any verification sent by phone calls. However your rewards will not be applied to your account. CSA/Moderator contact after paying and reactivating is necessary to have the rewards applied manually.
  4. Voicemail can be accessed by calling your pm number from a different phone by calling your phone # and pressing * once connected and entering your 4 digit voicemail pin #.
  5. If you don't have an account balance or enough balance to cover your plan amount you can suspend via lost/stolen after midnight but before 2 am eastern on the day of your renewal. Once your rewards have been applied (usually by 12:15 am et) then suspend your account. Voicemail access will be lost.
  6. Switching to the $15 plan with rewards helping to cover a partial or full amount of your plan allows you to call forward your pm number to your fongo number. Remove your sim card from your phone after call forwarding your pm phone # and put it somewhere safe before you leave Canada. Now any incoming calling to your pm number will ring thru to your fongo number while on wifi or mobile data (w/a local or global sim card) You can access your fongo voicemail for all voicemail messages.

Most important mark on your calendar day 85 of your suspension and day 90. Do not forget when you must unsuspend your account via lost/stolen and/or pay and reactivate your service so you don't lose your phone number and account.

Edit: 

#6 doesn't apply to your situation but I'm sure you get the gist of it.😃

intez

Wow, did not think this would become a small discussion.

@AE_Collector by new number, I meant a new number with the new provider, which @darlicious got right, it's Fido.

As per what darlicious mentioned, that's exactly what I am doing right now. I'm keeping my pm account as a back up plan if I regret switching over, and trying out the new service on my other phone.

Of course, as with basically all other service providers, a service agreement is still signed (that's why i chose PM at first!! no contract no agreements and all that crap!), and of course I took the time to read it through thoroughly. Does not seem sketchy to me, and services can be cancelled at any time with an early notice, which seems fair. (i might have missed something tho so we'll see, i might be back lol)

Thank you everyone for all the suggestions and advice. I have enjoyed using pm's services for the years i've been here. sad to leave my loyalty and other rewards 😞

And in any event, if OP had time left to burn here they may as well do as you said, new number at the new provider, check that all is good there until 2-3 days remaining here then port number over. Exactly what I did when I came here from Telus, tried PM out for a week or so the ported my number over.

AE_Collector

@AE_Collector 

Lol....

My assumption is that the new number is with the new provider but the OP wants to know if they could get the current credit back on the pm account before porting their number to the new provider.

Since they still have nonrefundable service and credit at pm then they might as well use it and not rush porting over their number to the new service. They could allow a family member use the temp number and service til they do port their number to the new provider.

Despite describing the new services as month to month I strongly suspect there is some type of "service agreement" or contract in place to have procured such a "sweet deal". Providers are very slick these days selling a "month to month" "service agreement". A copy of the CIS is all that is needed to show it's an actual contract for services.

As such I mentioned that if they are not satisfied with the service in the next 15 days (like finding out you just signed a contract....presented as a month to month service agreement) the OP can back out penalty free and just continue their pm services with loyalty and rewards intact and no need to purchase a new sim card to port their number back to pm or another provider.

By asking the question about the $40 credit the OP has maintained an easy out of as I suspect a contract if they so choose in the first 15 days of service with the new provider. After that they are stuck for the length of the "service agreement." Or paying the ECF.

@darlicious wrote:

@AE_Collector @barrascuk 

Or if after 15 days you're a happy clam then remove autopsy and port your number out of pm to close your account.

I thought the Autopsy (presumably on the Dog) would be done if OP was Unhappy THERE?

AE_Collector

@intez wrote:

ended up here with credit in public account & a new number

new number.. do you mean with your new provider or with PM?   If you changed your number, your old number will be gone and cannot be ported away

or you meant new number with your new provider for now?

sa7375
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@hairbag1  Liked that snappy quip 'Use it or lose it'  😊

@AE_Collector @barrascuk 

No I would say it's either virgin or fido. Great deal! You can keep your pm plan active for awhile. At least 15 days while you enjoy your new service. If before the 15th day you decide it's not all what it said it was going to be you can return everything and back out gracefully and without penalty. And resume your pm service like it was all a bad dream. Or if after 15 days you're a happy clam then remove autopsy and port your number out of pm to close your account.

If it IS the shaw deal, it is possible that you may “desperately need a new cell plan” soon like your internet was previously!

AE_Collector

barrascuk
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@intez wrote:

@darlicious 

since you asked... 35/month 10GB data w/ unlimited text and talk, plus a 50% off my home internet, all month-to-month. desperately needed new internet so started right away and ended up here with credit in public account & a new number

Is that the Shaw deal? If not, who is offering?

intez

@darlicious 

since you asked... 35/month 10GB data w/ unlimited text and talk, plus a 50% off my home internet, all month-to-month. desperately needed new internet so started right away and ended up here with credit in public account & a new number

Anonymous
Not applicable

@intez 

i suggest you waiting until use it your credit and after that Transfer your number,

and go to your account and remove your Autopay, and after do port your old number to another company and is will be close automatically,

Make sure that you have the old SIM card in your phone when you're porting your number. You should get a SMS message from your old carrier asking to confirm if you would like to port your number. Your reply should be: YES.

The confirmation message can take a few minutes to come in. You have 90 minutes from the time of request.

barrascuk
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Porting out, closes your account. 

Loose your money.

Ask new carrier to reimburse you.

Sell/give away your account, but loose your number. 

Wait it out til your balance is zero. 

@intez 

No you would have to use your credit up or forfeit it. If the new provider really wants you as a customer they will hold the deal for another month for you. Curiously what's the sweet deal?

JK8
Mayor / Maire

@intez 

76B74527-5746-4221-9EC8-BB7EA665A74D.jpeg

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

@intez wrote:

I am switching to another provider as they have a sweet deal (Public is still v. nice), and am looking to port over my current number. However, I still have some credit unused (~$40). So a few questions:

1) If I port my current number to the new provider, what will happen to my public account?...your PM account is closed as soon as successful port occurs.

2) Are there ways to transfer the credit to another public account, or using it up myself is the only way to go? (I assume no but worth an ask) Nope...use it or lose it.

Need Help? Let's chat.