cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Porting in a number without losing existing PM number & plan

malim
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hi all,

I would like to port a number from Fido to PM onto my current plan where I have a different number. The problem is, this new number that I have with PM, I also want to keep for my business. How do I go about porting a number from Fido to PM without losing the PM number and my PM plan?

1. Should I port the current PM number first to a different carrier or maybe a different PM plan first? However, would I loose my current PM plan when porting the existing PM number before porting in a number from Fido.

I found a post which clearly states that a number being ported in from Fido will replace the existing PM number; therefore the existing PM number will be lost. This is exactly what I am trying to avoid here.

I hope I expressed myself clearly, as this might sound a little confusing.

6 REPLIES 6

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

OP, there are significant limitations with porting.  What you are trying to do is not possible.  I think I know your end goal.  You could open another account to accept the incoming number from Fido so that you will have two accounts.  You could then kindly ask a moderator if they could do a plan swap between the two accounts.  If they will do that for you, then you will end up with your Fido number on your your current plan.  That would free up your current PM number for porting without losing the plan.  Wear a thick pair of kneepads and beg for some goodwill.  

@computergeek541 wrote:

@NDesai wrote:

Best option you have is to port in your Fido number to a new Public Mobile account on available plan. I think you want the existing plan you have with your fido number but that is not possible as that plan is not available now. I think this is the only way if you want to keep both numbers with public mobile. You will have to keep your existing account as it is and fido number on a new public mobile account. 

That would surely simplify things.  I read into malim's post as wanting to have the Fido number on a grandfatered plan.   Otherwise,  there wouldn't be any need for his/her type of request, and it would be far easier just to port the Fido number into a new Public Mobile account. 

Well that is not possible. I haven't seen or heard public mobile allowing users to keep their plan while porting out their number. If OP has the sim bought in November, public mobile can honor that promo plan.

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

'It never hurts to ask the mods if they can switch the plans for you before doing anything. you never know. as my dad says the squeeky wheel gets the greese.  worst they will say is no cant be done. the best will be sure we would love to help you out.

I'm sure either way it goes you will be saving a little.  

@NDesai wrote:

Best option you have is to port in your Fido number to a new Public Mobile account on available plan. I think you want the existing plan you have with your fido number but that is not possible as that plan is not available now. I think this is the only way if you want to keep both numbers with public mobile. You will have to keep your existing account as it is and fido number on a new public mobile account. 

That would surely simplify things.  I read into malim's post as wanting to have the Fido number on a grandfatered plan.   Otherwise,  there wouldn't be any need for his/her type of request, and it would be far easier just to port the Fido number into a new Public Mobile account.

As you've suggested, the OP could keep things the way they are now with the current Publilc account and just make a new one to port in the Fido number.  Then, there could be a promotional plan that can be switched to in the future for that line.

NDesai
Oracle
Oracle

When you port out, the account automatically deactivates so you will definitely loose your plan when you port out from your existing public mobile account. 

Best option you have is to port in your Fido number to a new Public Mobile account on available plan. I think you want the existing plan you have with your fido number but that is not possible as that plan is not available now. This is the only way if you want to keep both numbers with public mobile. You will have to keep your existing account as it is and fido number on a new public mobile account. 

In future, when you hear about new public mobile promo or something than you can get that but for now, you will have to stick with available plans.

If you are porting a number into Public Mobile, it replaces your current number.  There's no way for you you to perform this task yourself of keeping the number that gets replaced .

After porting in your Fido number, that number will keep the plan that you have now.

If you're actually going to keep both numbers on Public Mobile, I would say that gives you a better chance at Public Mobile agreeing to do this for you.  Part of the process would involve activating a seocnd Public Mobile account for which the retrieved phone number would need to be assigned to.  You might also be forced to pick from the currently offered plans for the recovered number.

Either way, as I've stated earlier, this isn't something you can do yourself.  You'll need to ask Public Mobile if they can do this for you.

Need Help? Let's chat.