cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Porting from Bell to PM?

ottawa
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

I want to port a number from Bell to PM, probably at the time of creating PM account.

There is no working SIM card for the Bell line (Bell screwed up activation of replacement SIM, and now wants us to go to a Bell Store and pay $10 to replace). Does Bell send a text or anything to the existing phone when they receive the port request? We're trying to decide whether to get another SIM card if that's what happens. It hasn't been my experience but I read of someone getting a text from Bell confirming the port-out.

Also, asked Bell about hypothetically porting out if we don't want to go chase down a SIM, they said to call their port-out department. Never heard of that.

Thanks.

=aw

8 REPLIES 8

@ottawa 

1. You only need your account to be active with bell to port out.
  2. Arrange an alternative to the authorization text. 
  3. If there are two phone numbers on one account with bell port the non-account holders # first.
  4. When filling in the porting info during activation you need three things:
  5. Full name on account
  6. Bell account number.
  7. Phone number to be ported.
  8. The alternative phone # is optional but it is used as an additional identifier for verification purposes and in rare cases upon activation if pm needs to contact you.

Dont forget to register both emails for the promotion and use a referral code for the first account and then look up that accounts referral code for the second account.

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@ottawa 

If you dont have a sim card then you have to authorize the port a different way.  Maybe they have a port out department to handle landlines. Otherwise the telus porting department handles missed authorization text messages. If you need to go this route I will private message you the number. (pm deletes it otherwise....too many people were abusing it for the wrong reasons.) Start with Bell and find out what the alternative to the text message is for authorization.

ottawa
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Thank you all. That's useful. I'll let the Bell customer know it's an option, though if I did it without a working Bell SIM I guess I'd be worried Bell would screw that up too. Bell's not telling us we have to get a SIM to port, but we kept getting contradictory answers to "is the phone unsuspended?" and "hypothetically could we port out without replacing the SIM?" The latter including "sure just go ahead" (no suggestion of confirmation), "we send a text", and "call the port-out department".

Bell have screwed up for us (and for family, and for friends) many times over the years. Here's today's experience...

Family member on multi-line Bell account lost their phone (or it was stolen). Reported to Bell, got the line suspended, and filed a claim with S/PC (Bell-branded Asurion phone insurance). The replacement handset and SIM came last week. Called Bell today to unsuspend and activate the SIM. Very nice agent from ON made a mistake and activated SIM on the wrong line. Reverted that one, but the new SIM now can't be activated of course.

So far it falls under "Annoying but mistakes happen" and is the responsibility of a single agent which is forgiveable. What happened next falls under "Unacceptable" and is corporate responsibility and I think unforgiveable.

The agent had no way to get us a replacement SIM. She said the only solution she (i.e. Bell) has is for us to make an appointment, go to a Bell Store, and get a free replacement SIM from curbside pickup. Or order one on website, which costs $10. No way to credit us the cost of a SIM from website, and no way to get a free replacement (for a SIM Bell screwed up) without going out to a store. Which has both an out of pocket cost (no car) and is not good for someone avoiding contacts as much as possible. Those "here's what we're doing to protect our customers and employees from Covid" emails seem particularly ironic.

We asked about $20 partial compensation for the out-of-pocket costs (taxi or Uber) and got pushback. Spoke to a supervisor who said she'd approved the $20. Also told us the SIM isn't free at a Bell Store -- it's $10. So the reality is that Bell expects us to pay $10 (either in store or online) to replace a SIM that they screwed up. And it took major effort to escalate, and significant time, to get $30 compensation (they say, but we don't see it yet) for the cost of the SIM and part of cost of getting it. Not to mention all the time on the phone (already and again).

Now we're debating whether to blow off replacing the SIM, based on comments here. Of all the conversations we've had with various Bell reps in the last 12 months, I think it's literally true that every one has turned out to make at least 1 mistake, or give at least 1 piece of incorrect information. I use that experience when I get the "but you can't call PM!?" question -- I point out how calling Bell, or going to a Bell Store, is not always a rewarding experience.

HALIMACS
Mayor / Maire

@ottawa 

If Bell is trying to tell you that you MUST purchase a SIM card to receive a port authorization, they're just making it difficult to leave them. 

Although that is certainly the 'preferred process', it's not the only process.

Contact them and advise to NOT refuse a port request from Public Mobile.  Make sure you're speaking to the correct person/department at Bell and get a name and employee number.  They'll likely have to go through a rigorous verification with you to confirm you are the customer.  Might be helpful to do this WHILE you're in the process of activating the Public Mobile account (after entering the Bell acct & phone number)

While you're at it, make SURE your phone is not locked to Bell. (doubt it is, but it may be depending on how long you were a customer there and whether you acquired the device through them)

kselmak
Mayor / Maire

The only thing they have to know to release the number is that it's not fraud and it was actually initiated by authorised person, replying to sim is easiest but not the only way. Take down bell portout number and once the port is initiated contact them

kb_mv
Mayor / Maire

@ottawa wrote:

I want to port a number from Bell to PM, probably at the time of creating PM account.

There is no working SIM card for the Bell line (Bell screwed up activation of replacement SIM, and now wants us to go to a Bell Store and pay $10 to replace). Does Bell send a text or anything to the existing phone when they receive the port request? We're trying to decide whether to get another SIM card if that's what happens. It hasn't been my experience but I read of someone getting a text from Bell confirming the port-out.

Also, asked Bell about hypothetically porting out if we don't want to go chase down a SIM, they said to call their port-out department. Never heard of that.

Thanks.

=aw

@ottawa I wonder if you could call Bell, explain what is happening, ask them them to authorize the port when PM sends the request?

dabr
Mayor / Maire

@ottawa wrote:

There is no working SIM card for the Bell line (Bell screwed up activation). Does Bell send a text or anything to the existing phone when they receive the port request? We're trying to decide whether to get another SIM card if that's what happens. It hasn't been my experience but I read of someone getting a text from Bell confirming the port-out.

Thanks.

=aw

@ottawa   I believe all carriers are now required to send out a text message for porting out to prevent fraudulent transfers.

JK8
Mayor / Maire

@ottawa 

Here is some info on porting.

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/bc/get-help/articles/number-transfer-port-troubleshooting

Number Transfer (Port) Troubleshooting

Have you recently tried to port or transfer your number into Public Mobile? Here are some tips should you experience any issues. First, ensure that you have received a validation SMS text from your previous service provider, and that you have followed the instructions in the message within 90 minutes to approve the number transfer.

• Your old SIM card must be inside your device and your account with your previous provider must still be active so you can receive and respond to the SMS and authorize the request. Please do not replace your old SIM card with your Public SIM until you have responded to this message.
  • Be sure to check all texts and emails that could go to any other members on the old account and any junk or spam folders.

If you have already received and responded to your validation SMS text from your service provider, your transfer to Public Mobile should be in progress. Please note that the number transfer process can take up to 2 hours to complete for a mobile phone number. When you transfer a landline number, the process can take up to 3 business days.You may experience mixed service during this process until the transfer is complete. When your number transfer is complete, you will receive a confirmation text message from Public Mobile. If your transfer request has been completed, but you are still experiencing issues, check out these troubleshooting tips:

Need Help? Let's chat.