cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Porting an old number but old SIM just stopped working can I still do it?

idONtuteVeNwAAn
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I just topped up my BELL balance with a 15$ minimum and restarted my old phone and was going to port over to public mobile with the new PUBLIC SIM that I had grabbed while in town last time and it just said SIM not detected.   I noticed on the activation page it states the following requirements....   

If you are transferring your phone number, you will need:

***Your account number from your old service provider or your existing mobile phone

****Your original SIM card & active service with your previous provider so that you can receive a number transfer request SMS

So my account is active, I own the phone outright, it is not blacklisted or bricked.... it is very old!  It's just a SIM failure!  I can not receive  calls or text on the BELL network atm without driving for an hour and buying another SIM card and spending more money to a provider I no longer want.  I have all my account information and paperwork on hand now.

My question, can I port my number without the cost, time and hassle of driving to town or do I require an active SIM to receive a text?   

I really don't want to spiral down the cell phone circles of hell and be lost in the abyss without my number of 30 years.

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer, sorry if this is a complicated question, I tried to add as much information to make it complete and get the best answer since I could not find a contact phone number and there are NO live agents online....yes I ramble.  Have a good day.... Happy Thanksgiving!

4 REPLIES 4

idONtuteVeNwAAn

it is almost a paperweight, it is a placeholder phone that is never used and does meet some of these requirements ;^ )   it's an S3  I do make calls with it from time to time to make sure it works and active for emergency back up, it still receives texts and calls,  for some reason I am replacing bell SIM cards in my phones yearly  this one was just replaced in august..  It's been with Bell since new.  I will just have to kick rocks and give bell more money before I break up with them.  Thank you for your help and the information, it's kindly appreciated!  have a great day!

idONtuteVeNwAAn

thank you, the last time I ported a number it was to a cell so I wasn't receiving a text to a landline,  I also wasn't certain if the options on the activation page were to either  A)  have  all my account information handy, which I do, or B) optionally a working SIM card and active cell phone with balance  and I am 2 out of 3.  

a 10$ SIM card seems ridiculous,,  I am so done with BELL since I just replaced this card in August, now another hour driving more time and money....  I loathe them. 

I appreciate your help.  Thank you very much!

Meow
Mayor / Maire

In order to port your number you have to have:

- BOTH accounts active and in good standing

- OLD and new SIM

- When you initiate porting out at Bell, you will receive very soon SMS from Bell and you have to reply Yes within 90 minutes. Therefore SIM and phone have to be in working order.

Did your current 'very old' phone ever worked with Bell SIM? Your 'very old' phone has to support PM frequencies.

Public Mobile uses the following frequency bands:

4G LTE and LTE Advanced: 700 MHz, 850 MHz (band 5), 1900 MHz (band 2) and 2100 MHz downlink and 1700 MHz uplink (AWS).

3G/HSPA: 850 MHz, 1900 MHz (UMTS).

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@idONtuteVeNwAAn   

this would be an issue you have to call Bell and discuss

the normal procedure to port from Bell into Public Mobile is to receive a text from Bell on your Bell sim card, then you will need to reply YES within 90 mins for the porting to go through.  Many provider stick to this procedure firmly but some allow a verbal porting approval on the phone.  So, talk to Bell rep and see if they can make a note of the verbal approval.  If not, then, you will have to spend $10 to get a Bell sim card , change sim card on Bell account so you can receive the text later

Need Help? Let's chat.