cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Porting BELL landline number to PM

TMS
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

I activated a new SIM card yesterday evening with Public Mobile. I took a temporary number to make sure all went through okay. I then did the phone number transfer…

I filled the form out, but one part was iffy. The “first name” is where I had the problem. The BELL bill states only the first initial of the first name, but I entered the actual first name on the Public Mobile online form. I probably should have entered just the first initial, but I flip flopped trying to decide. I then, obviously, entered the first name. 

The temporary phone is not working and it says it is no longer in service (or similar) which makes sense.

The BELL landline is still active and will not be cancelled. The BELL landline will remain active as I fully understand it is required to complete the port.

Someone from Telus will more in likely contact me. Will it be on this existing landline? Or Email? 
Not sure what’s going to happen with the mishap when entering the first name rather than the first initial? 

10 REPLIES 10

@TMS wrote:

I patiently waited…

Number was ported this morning. Took approximately 36 hours. 

Didn’t email anyone, Didn’t follow up.

I did NOT have temporary number as it was deactivated after I did the port in process of the Bell landline.

All is well, all is working. 👍 

That's good to hear. The CWTA says 48 hours for landline port. As for your temporary number vanishing as soon as you submitted the porting request, that is the way it works for anyone who asks for a number port at Public Mobile by doing it from Self Serve.  It's not supposed to keep working after the request has been submitted.

TMS

I patiently waited…

Number was ported this morning. Took approximately 36 hours. 

Didn’t email anyone, Didn’t follow up.

I did NOT have temporary number as it was deactivated after I did the port in process of the Bell landline.

All is well, all is working. 👍 

@Alexandf wrote:

• First, create a Community account here by selecting ‘Sign In’, then ‘New User? Register here.”
  •  

HI @Alexandf 

Should @TMS  created another account ?  What is wrong with his current Community account?

Alexandf

@TMS 

The number transfer a landline number, the process can take up to 3 business days. You may experience mixed service during this process until the transfer is complete. When your number transfer is complete, you will receive a confirmation text message.

If you don’t want to wait, you can select a new number when activating, and transfer your old number later.If you’ve waited more than 2 hours, and you’re still experiencing issues, you should contact our Customer Support Agents. Since you’re new to Public Mobile, this will be a 2-step process,

• Then, start a conversation with our virtual assistant, SIMon to submit a ticket to our Customer Support Agents by clicking here.

@Meow wrote:

@computergeek541 wrote:

@Meow wrote:

Your temporary number should work.

The above isn't the case. Public/Telus/Koodo does not wait until porting is complete to assign the ported number to the Public Mobile account.  The requested number gets assigned immediately, and the temporary number will no longer work.

@TMS @fujiyama 

Yes, the temporary number not working is normal.   

TMS, if the porting fails, Public Mobile should send a text message informing you of that.

This is what I learned from you guys:

The destination end will temporarily have the number for outgoing calls. Then, with an incomplete unconfirmed port, after a period of time (30 days) it will permanently assign a new number to the account and the old number just stays at the origin. The origin is the one sending the text (to reply Yes) prompted by the destination saying they have a port request.

So to my understanding as long as porting is not completed, temp number should work.

Sorry, but that isn't correct.  As I was saying, the ported number always replaces the temporary number as soon as the request has been submitted.  This is just the way the system works. This is something that has been comfirmed time and again.

It is true that the number stays at the old carrier if porting fails. However, Public Mobile always changes the number on the Public Mobile account right away before porting has even finalized.

@computergeek541 wrote:

@Meow wrote:

The above isn't the case. Public/Telus/Koodo does not wait until porting is complete to assign the ported number to the Public Mobile account.  The requested number gets assigned immediately, and the temporary number will no longer work.

@TMS @fujiyama 

TMS, if the porting fails, Public Mobile should send a text message informing you of that.

This is what I learned from you guys:

The destination end will temporarily have the number for outgoing calls. Then, with an incomplete unconfirmed port, after a period of time (30 days) it will permanently assign a new number to the account and the old number just stays at the origin. The origin is the one sending the text (to reply Yes) prompted by the destination saying they have a port request.

So to my understanding as long as porting is not completed, temp number should work.

@Meow wrote:

@TMS @fujiyama 

Meow
Mayor / Maire

Usually PM does not contact customers by phone/email.

Call PM porting support number I sent you in private mail to get exact instructions how to resolve this issue.

fujiyama
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

I don't think the name “mismatch” would cause a problem for porting. The temp number not working doesn't sound normal though. Submit a ticket using the chatbot to have a rep check on your PM account and the porting for you.

TMS

Just thinking…does it make sense that the temporary phone number, that was given to me, does not work? I did NOT check to see if the temporary number was activated before filling out the port request.  

Need Help? Let's chat.