cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ported Number works but shows old number from text

KamWest
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

For one of my accounts I ported a landline into Public Mobile and when the port completed the Android Messenger program kept sending out with the old phone number. All settings were checked, the new number was in the messenger app but whenever I sent a text it showed coming from the old number.

I tried clearing the storage and cache from the messenger app and Public support told me to restart the phone, which I did numerous times.

Here was the solution....

I managed to solve the problem, here was what I had to do...

Android Settings > Apps & Notifications > See all Apps > Carrier Services > Advanced > Storage & Cache

There you clear cache & storage for the old carrier service.

Restart Text App and login, Now it sends with new phone number.

The restart/reboot option suggested from Public made no difference.

I did quite a bit of research and the solution I mentioned above seems to do the trick whenever the texting program is not using the new ported phone number.

So the solution was in the carrier service app and not in the texting messenger app.

Since this was a bit of a tricky situation I thought I would post it in case it helps someone else.

The mods might find this topic handy for someone who is experiencing a similar situation in the future.

1 REPLY 1

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

Thanks for sharing.  This is an interesting solution.  Looking at carrier services cache is definitely like finding a needle in a haystack.  

Need Help? Let's chat.