cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Port protection

Shutdown
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Does PM have port confirmation to prevent sim swaps or does it just allow the port to go through without a text confirmation?

10 REPLIES 10

@HALIMACS wrote:

None issued text notifications to 'approve' the port beforehand.   Notably, the 2 in the Summer were from pre-paid Bell services, and the 2 in last week of December were from post-paid Koodo services.

OK... so in the Summer I think was was prior to the text verification requirement, and porting from Koodo (and Telus Mobility) is not really a port just an account transfer within Telus, so it might have situations where the confirmation text is not used...

@Nezgar 

2 were in late Summer, 2 were in late December.

None issued text notifications to 'approve' the port beforehand.   Notably, the 2 in the Summer were from pre-paid Bell services, and the 2 in last week of December were from post-paid Koodo services.

@HALIMACS Was that prior to approximately late 2020? Thats when the authorization texts became a requirement. Prior to that, yes - a number could be ported out immediately with the right information supplied...

@Shutdown 

Not much layers of protection. 

So long that you know the other person's phone number and account number, that's pretty well all you need to know if the carrier fails to send a confirmation text to authorize the port. (which at a minimum they should be)

When I connected a few services to public mobile, I received NO port texting confirmations from my 2 previous providers. 

@Shutdown wrote:

I ment porting the number out my bad.

@Shutdown There is as I mentioned a Port Fraud Protection program used by all carriers to prevent an unauthorized port out of your number. This is the text based system that you need to reply to in 90 minutes to authorize the port. Your old company will send it out.

Shutdown

I ment porting the number out my bad.

@Shutdown wrote:

So there is no protection against out sim swapping?

@Shutdown Not sure what you mean by OUT sim swapping. A solid password and good online security are a good defence against sim swapping. In order to do it, someone has to get into your account. There is no 2FA for sign in to your account. A recent victim of sim swapping did report that they had an admittedly weak password on their account.

Shutdown

So there is no protection against out sim swapping?

kb_mv
Mayor / Maire

@Shutdown wrote:

Does PM have port confirmation to prevent sim swaps or does it just allow the port to go through without a text confirmation?

@Shutdown Important to note that port protection against porting your number out and sim swapping are two different issues. Sim swapping they stay in your account and register a new sim so that they receive any text bases password resets or 2FA texts. Porting out your number, they open a new account elsewhere taking your number with them and your PM account gets closed.

kb_mv
Mayor / Maire

@Shutdown wrote:

@Shutdown All carriers including PM have implemented the text based authorization for port protection. See link below for details.

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/bc/get-help/articles/port-fraud-protection

Need Help? Let's chat.