cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Port out and keep the account due to limited roaming options

paultran116
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hello,

I've been using Public mobile for several years and the service is very good.

I'll be going on a vacation in Asia but Public mobile doesn't have roaming options in these countries.

I'd like to port my number out but keep my account so I can use it with a new number when I get back. Please help let me know if this is possible.

Thank you and looking forward to your answer.

10 REPLIES 10

@paultran116 wrote:

Thank you, guys. I have to port out anyway. I need to use my number abroad.

@paultran116 which provider will you be porting your number to, just curious. Would this provider be able to provide services in Asia?

self solution removed

paultran116
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Thank you, guys. I have to port out anyway. I need to use my number abroad.

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@paultran116 

How long are you going to be traveling in Asia? You have options for your pm service that will be far cheaper than changing providers because they offer roaming? Very expensive roaming averaging $14 to $16 per day on top of your plan price capped at on average $280/month.

Asian countries have very cheap local Sim cards with unlimited data plans averaging US$10/month even some international Sim cards like the ones offered by 3UK can average less than US$5/month for their 2yr/24GB/$80 Sim card plan. Coupled with the pm $15 plan and your pm phone number call forwarded to a voip provider phone # (like textnow or fongo) will only cost you about $25/month. You could even use a text forwarding app like Mighty Text  if you feel the need. This way you keep both your wallet and your pm account, rewards, add ons etc....safe as compared to another Canadian mobile provider's roaming options.

For info on Asian travel Sim cards and links to local Sim cards....

https://www.traveltomtom.net/travel-tips/asia-sim-card

Options for your pm account....

1. You can turn off autopay and allow the account to suspend at the of your current 30 day cycle but this is your least advantageous option. Pay and reactivate by day 85 or so.
  2. If you have an account balance that exceeds your plan amount then you need to suspend via the lost/stolen feature in your account before midnight eastern on the evening of your renewal. Then on day 85 or so resume your service to pay and reactivate.
  3. Suspending via lost/stolen before midnight eastern will keep your voicemail active allowing you retrieve voicemail and any verification sent by phone calls. However your rewards will not be applied to your account. CSA contact after paying and reactivating is necessary to have the rewards applied manually.
  4. Voicemail can be accessed by calling your pm number from a different phone by calling your phone # and pressing * once connected and entering your 4 digit voicemail pin #.
  5. If you don't have an account balance or enough balance to cover your plan amount you can suspend via lost/stolen after midnight but before 2 am eastern on the day of your renewal. Once your rewards have been applied (usually by 12:15 am et) then suspend your account. Voicemail access will be lost.
  6. Switching to the $15 plan with rewards helping to cover a partial or full amount of your plan allows you to call forward your pm number to your voip number before you leave Canada.. Now any incoming calling to your pm number will ring thru to your voip number while on wifi or mobile data (w/a local or global sim card) You can access your voip #'s voicemail for all voicemail messages.

Most important mark on your calendar day 85 of your suspension and day 90. Do not forget when you must unsuspend your account via lost/stolen and/or pay and reactivate your service so you don't lose your phone number and account. Do not leave it to the last day. Give yourself a minimum of 2 days to reactivate your pm account.  Happy travels and Stay--Safe!

BKNS27
Mayor / Maire

@paultran116 

Once you port out, your account will be closed and your number will go to your new carrier. You can port back to PM but you will need a new SIM card.

Depending how long is your vacation, your can purchase a local SIM in Asia and stop payment for 88 days. Your account/number will be suspended, once you return start your payment to reactivate your account/number but DON'T go longer than 90 days...your account will be closed, SIM will be useless and number lost.

If your vacation is within your monthly window, you are OK and all you have to do is use a local SIM and pop the PM SIM when you return.

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@paultran116   actually, how long you are going on this vacation?

For PM, you can suspend the plan for up to 90 days and reactivate before that to keep the number and account

So, the trick is change the plan to $15.  Then  supend for 85 days, then reactivate for 30 days, suspend again for another 85 day, again and again until you are back

So, it is pretty much just $15 for 115 days to keep the number and the account and the current rewards you have.  So, how long you will be going on this vacation?  Maybe this is a better plan than porting out the number 

LoveNature
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Hi @paultran116 

keep your PM, and if your plan is higher price, change plan to lower cost, 

and buy Asia local SIM card.

Handy1
Mayor / Maire

@paultran116  Once you port number out it’s gone , best to lower to $15 plan and get a local sim while abroad pm is only good in Canada and US with add on

edit and you will lose your rewards if you port not worth in my opinion 

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@paultran116   Yes possible to port out the number but NOT to keep the account.   Once number is ported out, PM account will be closed 

For porting out the number , a suggestion is to use Fongo.  It has a $25 port in fee.  if you are there for longer than 3 months, porting out will be free

After you ported in there, you can use the Fongo app with your phone number.  So, you basically still able to use the phone.  You can receive normal text for free.  Texting out is a add-on charge.  But receiving 2FA text is a hit of miss

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

No you can't. Once you port away...your PM acct is closed for good. You'll need a new sim to start a new acct when you get home.

edited by computergeek541:  edited language

Need Help? Let's chat.