cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Port hasn't happened

r1lee
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi all,

We activated a new line while porting the old number at the WOW booth. Right now data works and can make calls. But cannot receive calls or text messages. I attempted to call the phone (the number that is currently assign to it) and it goes to someone else's phone.  It's been about 5hrs now so I'm unsure what to do. Any help would be appreciated. 

16 REPLIES 16

Anonymous
Not applicable

@r1lee wrote:

Everything is good, PM csr called me.  Looks like the wow csr inputted the incorrect number to port.  The number that was showing up when we made the call out.  Took 1min for the port to work.  Thank you all

Nice to hear the update. The regulars here wish all moderator resolutions were reported here by the customers.

Glad to hear you're up and running.

r1lee

Everything is good, PM csr called me.  Looks like the wow csr inputted the incorrect number to port.  The number that was showing up when we made the call out.  Took 1min for the port to work.  Thank you all

Dankaroo
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Glad it's working. By the way what device are you using, android or iOS?

Awu1

I ported over from Freedom mobile as well. It also didn't immdeiately port. I waited around 2 hours, tried turning it on and off but it still didn't work. But what worked for me was switching out my PM sim card, inserting my freedom sim card for a little while, and then switching back to the PM sim card and somehow my phone switched over. If you haven't tried that yet, give it a try! 

Dankaroo

@r1lee wrote:

@computergeek541

Public Mobile doesn't use temporary phone numbers, at least not in the sense in the same ways that other carriers do.

Some carriers actually autoamtically assign a tempoary phone number when you try to port in at the same time as activation.  Public Mobile does not do this.

As for taking a new phone number at the time of activation, and then once activated and then requesting a port in, the very second that you submit an incoming phone number porting request, you lose access to the phone number that you activated with.  At this point, you will no longer have access to any incoming calls or text messages/MMS messages until the porting is complete.  This is contrast to other carriers such as Rogers who only make the change in number only after the phone number transfer has completed.

What is strange is that Public Mobile has already assigned that phone number again.  I would have thought that they would have put the phone number in an aging pool, for a duration of I believe is 90 days, as is the norm for carriers after a phone number goes out of service.  Also strange is the fact that the number that you originally took from Public Mobile should no longer be showing when you call your wife.

Well all I know right now is the PM sim currently has data and someone else's phone number.  I can't text or receive text.  I can call out but can't receive a call on the number that shows up.  That's all I know right now, but at least my freedom account is still running. 

In that case keep freedom pin until port changes and as someone else suggested contact a moderator to expedite/resolve the process.

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@r1lee wrote:

Dankaroo,

No the temporary number that PM gave me (when I use the pm SIM and call my wife) it shows up as 647-AAA-AAAA .   But my attempt to call from my wife's phone to thatt that number goes to an unknown person voicemail. 

My freedom number and sim still work 100% so the port hasn't happened yet . 

Sorry to hear your porting problem.

Send a private message to moderator for help.

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

Moderator response time was quick for the last few days.  But they are off now.  You may get the moderator help tomorrow morning.  YMMV.

At the meantime, if your Freedom SIM card is still working, use it until it stops working while the moderator is working to port your number over to PM.

r1lee

@computergeek541

Public Mobile doesn't use temporary phone numbers, at least not in the sense in the same ways that other carriers do.

Some carriers actually autoamtically assign a tempoary phone number when you try to port in at the same time as activation.  Public Mobile does not do this.

As for taking a new phone number at the time of activation, and then once activated and then requesting a port in, the very second that you submit an incoming phone number porting request, you lose access to the phone number that you activated with.  At this point, you will no longer have access to any incoming calls or text messages/MMS messages until the porting is complete.  This is contrast to other carriers such as Rogers who only make the change in number only after the phone number transfer has completed.

What is strange is that Public Mobile has already assigned that phone number again.  I would have thought that they would have put the phone number in an aging pool, for a duration of I believe is 90 days, as is the norm for carriers after a phone number goes out of service.  Also strange is the fact that the number that you originally took from Public Mobile should no longer be showing when you call your wife.

Well all I know right now is the PM sim currently has data and someone else's phone number.  I can't text or receive text.  I can call out but can't receive a call on the number that shows up.  That's all I know right now, but at least my freedom account is still running. 

@r1lee wrote:

Dankaroo,

No the temporary number that PM gave me (when I use the pm SIM and call my wife) it shows up as 647-AAA-AAAA .   But my attempt to call from my wife's phone to thatt that number goes to an unknown person voicemail. 

r1lee

Dankaroo,

Dankaroo

Feedom huh, I hope I don't bump into this issue as well. As far as the activation process goes it claimed that you will get the number you specified?

It's a bit weird calling your old number goes to someone else's phone mine just goes to busy line beeping. This is definately not an issue with your mobile device, either the port process hit a hiccup or freedom did an oopsie. Kinda telling for why we ditched their service to begin with...

Edit: in the case that freedom made the mistake there is no guarantee that public mobile can successfully port as unfortunate as it would be

popping

@r1lee wrote:

Porting a mobile number. 

After 5 hours, you have waited long enough, send a private message to moderator to see what is wrong with your port.  Good luck.

@r1lee

Most mobile numbers should have been ported by now.  Your port is stuck or incomplete.  You will need to private message a moderator.  Expect 1-2 day response time though.  

send a private message to moderator through the following link :
https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

r1lee

Porting a mobile number. 

popping

@r1lee wrote:

Hi all,

We activated a new line while porting the old number at the WOW booth. Right now data works and can make calls. But cannot receive calls or text messages. I attempted to call the phone (the number that is currently assign to it) and it goes to someone else's phone.  It's been about 5hrs now so I'm unsure what to do. Any help would be appreciated. 

Is your old SIM still working?

If yes, continue to use it until it stops working.  Then, start using you PM sim card.

Are you porting a landline number to PM?

It will take up to a week to port a landline number.

If you are porting a mobile number, after 5 hours, your port is stuck. Send a private message to moderator for help.

r1lee

Thanks for the reply.

Freedom and I've tried rebooting and shutting the phone off for a while then turning it back on.

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

Who was the provider of the "old number " ?  In the meantime, try cycling the phone off/on while you're waiting. Good luck and welcome to PM.

Need Help? Let's chat.