cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plan without a phone

Terry_P
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I have a plan with Telus which expires soon and a PM plan. I want to port the Telus number to a new PM $15 phone plan and have calls forwarded to my existing PM plan.  And I don't want to purchase a phone for the $15 plan.

Is this possible?

Thanks

14 REPLIES 14

@darlicious  there could be a device bonus fee also.

For example on one of my Koodo phones. I have the tab which $15 gets deducted each month. There's also a bonus tab of around S25 that gets deducted each month for the bonus tab.

If I were to port or close the account id have to pay back the remaining tab balance I owe.Plus the remaining bonus tab balance which is a much higher balance than just the tab. 

I'm going to assume other providers do it this way as well and there is more owed than just the "device fee". Could be wrong tho.

@Nezgar 

In simpler terms once a new month is started that months device subsidy becomes covered. So i recommend porting out on day two just to be safe. You can port out on month 2 or month 22. Depending on the rate plan per month there can be an advantage to porting out with up to 6 months remaining

For example if you port out on day 2 of month 22 it would work as follows......

Monthly bill $75 ($45 plan fee+$30 device subsidy=$75) Porting out on day 2 would result in a final bill:

1. month 22: 2x2 days prorated $75 ÷30 days=$2.50p/d=$5 ($3 plan+$2device subsidy)
  2. month 23: no plan amount charge $75-$45=$30 (device subsidy)
  3. month 24: no plan amount charge $75-$45=$30 (device subsidy)

Final bill : $2+$30+$30=$62 (ECF*)+$3(prorated plan amount)=$65+tax and any overages.

Please note rogers/fido purposely print confusing info on your device subsidy to keep you a customer thru your entire 24 month contract. * early cancellation fee

Extra savings can be achieved despite the ECF if the new plan cost is less than the old plan. New pm plan is the $25 ($45-$25=$20×3 months=$60 savings pays off your ECF at rogers.)

Terry_P

Unlock code on ebay for $6.

Not worth my time to spar with dodgers.

Thanks for all the feedback everyone.

The dual sim phone is worth considering.

@darlicious wrote:

Is that a recent amendment to the WCC? My understanding was that once one day has ben charged (or prorated) on the 24th month the device subsidy is considered paid and the phone becomes the customers and they are free to port out

See section G of this page: https://crtc.gc.ca/eng/phone/mobile/codesimpl.htm - The page indicates "Date modified:2017-12-01"

Specifically relevant for 24 month contracts: "When calculating the time remaining in a contract to determine the early cancellation fee, a month that has partially elapsed at the time of cancellation is considered a month completely elapsed."

So this is why at the start of month 24 there is no more penalty to cancel/port-out.

Has anyone tried call forwarding to another phone number and then self suspending via lost/stolen . Would it still forward to the the newly added  phone number or default to voicemail?:

I'd also be interested to hear the results of these tests. But I don't have a spare line that I can sacrifice to find out. 😁

Edit: to add .... My aunt-in-law is watching her Rogers account, which just started month 24, but her flextab is still showing $35, to be $0 after the 24th month is complete in December. So.. might need her to call and ask rogers to confirm as this seems to go against what I said above...... Oh well, worst case another month until a referral hehe

Maybe I'm wrong - and theres no "early cancellation fee", but hardware may still fall under 24 months: "The early cancellation fee must be reduced by an equal amount each month, for the lesser of 24 months or the total number of months in the contract term, such that the early cancellation fee is reduced to $0 by the end of the period."

Edit 2: after contacting rogers chat support.... Since the rogers post-paid contract actually bills for the upcoming month plan ahead of time, it should be considered "paid" after the invoice is generated for the 24th month. Will know in a couple more days.

@Terry_P 

I realize you dont want to purchase a phone but if you are concerned about recieving text messages here is cheap alternative that will serve its purpose for basic calling and texting and as an emergency back up phone with dual sim!

https://www.londondrugs.com/maxwest-uno-m6-3g-unlocked-smartphone---black/L1073862.html?cgid=ele-mob...

@Nezgar 

Is that a recent amendment to the WCC? My understanding was that once one day has ben charged (or prorated) on the 24th month the device subsidy is considered paid and the phone becomes the customers and they are free to port out

This thread also got me thinking about call forwarding and self suspension. The bf's account has now been suspended for approximately 70 days (soon to be renewed). There is still no sign of the phone or sim card ( i still think its in the neighbour's house.) But the voicemail is still going strong. Has anyone tried call forwarding to another phone number and then self suspending via lost/stolen . Would it still forward to the the newly added  phone number or default to voicemai?:

Nezgar
Mayor / Maire

@Terry_P wrote:

I have a plan with Telus which expires soon and a PM plan. I want to port the Telus number to a new PM $15 phone plan and have calls forwarded to my existing PM plan.

Just a tip regarding hardware contracts in Canada: your device balance should be $0 at the beginning of the 23rd month, so you can technically port out penalty free a month before the 2-years is up according to the way the CRTC requirements are worded. So with this, maybe you can port out earlier than you initially thought. Of course confirm with your carrier first if you are not sure.

And yes - call forwarding is unlimited & free with PM, even with the $15 plan. Good luck, welcome soon to PM!

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Terry_P wrote:

So I need a phone to put the sim in then do the forwarding?

Yes.

Keep your original SIM in your current phone until you get the porting confirmation. Confirm it. Then turn phone off. Remove SIM. Insert new SIM. Turn phone on. Finish any account set up and receive your PIN you created. Set call forwarding. Turn phone off. Remove new SIM. Re-install original SIM. Restart phone.

Put new SIM in drawer. Pay for its service every 30 days or as long as you want it to be active.

I probably forgot something 🙂

Terry_P

So I need a phone to put the sim in then do the forwarding?

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Terry_P wrote:

Do you know if texts will forward as well?

No they wouldn't. I don't remember you mentioning that.

If you want a new account with your ported number on it then you'll need to activate a SIM. The SIM can sit in a drawer after setting the call forwarding.

Terry_P

I shouldn't need a new sim since I don't need a phone, correct?

Terry_P

Do you know if texts will forward as well?

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Terry_P wrote:

I have a plan with Telus which expires soon and a PM plan. I want to port the Telus number to a new PM $15 phone plan and have calls forwarded to my existing PM plan.  And I don't want to purchase a phone for the $15 plan.

Is this possible?

Thanks

You can move SIM's around all you want. As long as the phone is unlocked and compatible with whichever provider of the SIM. And you may need to fiddle with nano/micro etc.

So put the new SIM in whichever phone. Set the call forwarding. Take it out and put it in a drawer. Re-insert the SIM you want to generally use. Done.

kb_mv
Mayor / Maire

@Terry_P wrote:

Is this possible?

Thanks

@Terry_P I think I get what you are asking. First off no need to buy a phone here at all. Second easy to port number into PM from Telus. Third, you can forward one PM number to another but does it use minutes on the $15 plan? Here is a link to a previous thread on the subject last summer;

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Phones-Hardware/Call-forwarding/m-p/557200

Need Help? Let's chat.