cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pixel 5 via Public Mobile

rossputin
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Curious, what do you all think is a reasonable price for the Pixel 5.

In my opinion $600 seems quite steep.

33 REPLIES 33

@rossputin   It is a great phone.... one of the best mid range phone.. you won't regret  🙂

@rossputin 

Finally! I'm happy to hear you finally pulled the trigger! Try not to take until summer to decide on a pair of headphones.....enjoy your new phone, I'll look forward to your review.

rossputin

To @darlicious @softech and the others (who'd I forget?) who where patient and helpful, I finally made a decision. 

My new Samsung Galaxy A52 5G is in the mail.  Ironically I don't see it in the PM compatibility list, but I doubt it won't work.

Thanks again everyone.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@rossputin 

i will recommend you what you see at public mobile website

Phone Section (publicmobile.ca) then buy it for another link Not buy it.. 

Thanks @BeachNBeer  for confirming I was correct  🙂

BeachNBeer
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@rossputin  answer from online chat. Not very helpful. I VOTE place order and see what happens lol.

Screenshot_20211224-153435_Chrome.jpg

Anonymous
Not applicable

@hTideGnow @rossputin 

when you go online live chat with agent  you will see the   Please choose the topic that best fits what we can help you with today: *  you  choose    Certified Pre-Owned Phone

@Anonymous   How could online activation link helps CPO phone purchase?

Also, from many reported back, the online activation does nothing other than telling you what you see on the website as well as direct you to ask question in the Community

In this case, I think open ticket with CS Agent is a more likely answer than online chat

Anonymous
Not applicable

@rossputin 

do live chat with agent  Online Activation Assistance (telus.com). only them can check out

rossputin

So the Pixel 5 is no longer available among phone election.  But if you do a google search for "Pixel 5 Public Mobile" it takes you to the "buy now" section and able to put in the basket.

Curious, what would happen if I followed through? 

1. Eventually reject the transaction?
  2. Accept and subsequantly refund the transaction?
  3. Or do you think it would actually allow the purchases?

@rossputin wrote:

Sigh.  Was about to order the A52 via Samsung and sold out, as is the S20 FE.

Figures.

not sure if applicable to A52 or S20FE.. but they are giving out Play Store credit.. maybe that's why..

did you try other phones?  Samsung has a good line up.. Flip, Fold, Note . S21 Ultra.. Maybe you are destined for a better phone  🙂

@rossputin 

It wasn't meant to be....maybe Santa has something else in mind for you?!!🎁

rossputin

Sigh.  Was about to order the A52 via Samsung and sold out, as is the S20 FE.

Figures.

@rossputin 

Since you were interested in the 5a earlier this fall I will throw it out there again that Swiftronics has it regular priced brand new at $699 - $20 for black friday=$679. You may be able to buy it via Amazon to save the shipping fee and you will only pay gst saving about $50 in pst putting it at same price as the brand new S20 before pst is added.

@rossputin  

Google pixel 5 vs A52 is a harder choice.. they are just half a year difference..

for long term OS update, Google will likely provide more updates to Pixie 5 than Samsung to A52.   Afterall, 5 is Google Flagship but  A52 is not.    (S20FE might enjoy one more year or OS update than A52.)  Samsung OS updates to old phones is just ok but not super. Google has been doing very well in that area.  They sometimes surprise everyone with another update even we all thought it was end of life already. 

A52 camera is better on paper but some review site , like DXOMARK,   give Pixie 5 a better rating still...Even S20 FE cannot match Pixie 5 in DXOMARK rating

Speakers on the device seems to be a weaker point for Google.  But if you use Bluetooth , then they are comparable.  If you need headphone jack.. the choice is clear (Pixie does not have that).  

Personally, I might not choose Pixel 5 CPO for that price.  I will probably have a hard debate between a52 and S20 FE.   Personally I always like newer phone .. not for it being newer but for the fact that it will get longer support (Security and OS).  However, S20FE being slightly higher on Samsung's model ranking, it might have an extra year of support compare with A52.  But for the price, A52 is a better bargain, i think

rossputin

@softech wrote:

@rossputin wrote:

**bleep** you and your pefect logic, @softech 😉

Why bleep me for my sincere reply? 

@rossputin wrote:

Are they really neck in neck spec wise?  I heard the Samsung audio and it was a zillion times better than my current Pixel 3aXL. 

Are the really neck to neck spec wise? Ever Samsung Audio is zillion times better doesn't mean Pixel cannot be better in other area?.  And you are comparing with Pixel 3a XL with Samsung S20?    You know that is 2 years apart?  I certainly think Pixel 3a XL can be better than Samsung in many areas if you compare it with S8 (a model 2 years before 3a) 

My neck to neck comment is for general spec wise.. not specifically on sound

what I like about Pixie 5 over S20? 

RAM. 8GB vs 6GB  (to me.. memory is RAM is very important.. it's even more important 2 or 3 years down the road when the phone is older and all the new apps and OS requiring more memory

battery ..  Pixel 5 has a smaller battery but likely of the smaller screen, Pixel can outperform S20 FE for average use

What I like about S20:? 

Bigger screen, more powerful processor

External Storage: this is VERY important.. too bad.. this is going away with new phones these days

Sound?  Yes, the 2 speakers on S20 FE certainly win.  but if you use headphone instead.. then they are both comparable.

[update:  I think you added more question in your original post.. will get back to you on that later.. need to run..)

Guilty as charged. (I guess embedding isn't permitted)

• FYI, I'm okay without the IMAX screen of the S20 FE.
  • My priorities are decent camera (today's technology is amazing so I don't need the best) and great sound via headphones.

Your help is very much appreciated and I look forward to your response.

I just saw your question about bleeping you.  It was just meant in fun as, just as I am close to a decision you bring up very valid points that go against it.  No offense intended. Again your help is very much appreciated. 🤗

@rossputin wrote:

Why bleep me for my sincere reply?

@rossputin wrote:

Are they really neck in neck spec wise?  I heard the Samsung audio and it was a zillion times better than my current Pixel 3aXL. 

Are the really neck to neck spec wise? Ever Samsung Audio is zillion times better doesn't mean Pixel cannot be better in other area?.  And you are comparing with Pixel 3a XL with Samsung S20?    You know that is 2 years apart?  I certainly think Pixel 3a XL can be better than Samsung in many areas if you compare it with S8 (a model 2 years before 3a) 

My neck to neck comment is for general spec wise.. not specifically on sound

what I like about Pixie 5 over S20? 

RAM. 8GB vs 6GB  (to me.. memory is RAM is very important.. it's even more important 2 or 3 years down the road when the phone is older and all the new apps and OS requiring more memory

battery ..  Pixel 5 has a smaller battery but likely of the smaller screen, Pixel can outperform S20 FE for average use

What I like about S20:? 

Bigger screen, more powerful processor

External Storage: this is VERY important.. too bad.. this is going away with new phones these days

Sound?  Yes, the 2 speakers on S20 FE certainly win.  but if you use headphone instead.. then they are both comparable.

[update:  I think you added more question in your original post.. will get back to you on that later.. need to run..)

rossputin

@softech wrote:

for the phone spec.  itself, they are neck to neck.. so, it's comparable.

$30 difference for used vs brand new.. yes, that is not significant enough.  I would say $50 would be a better..  

actually, now, there is a $30 bill credit as well .. so, ,with $60 difference,  I think it is ok.

Are they really neck in neck spec wise?  I heard the Samsung audio and it was a zillion times better than my current Pixel 3aXL (I wished I had tested it).  To your point if I'm dissatisfied with the 5's sound I could return it. I just wish there were objective sound specs (via headphones. assuming same headphones) you could actually see.  My Googling efforts have not paid off.

The 5 is also a little smaller.

So two questions for your @softech 

1. Is the 5 similar to the Galaxy A52 (whose sound is also vastly superior) or would that actually be a downgrade? I can get the A52 for $441 (so $128 difference).
    • I'll mention the Samsung's can (apparently) record in 720p, which is my preference. Pixel cannot so then a file space issue.
    • A52 also has a headphone jack. Which is a 
  2. TBA-I forgot while writing #1. 🤣

@rossputin wrote:

So for $30 more {$629} than what PM charges for a used Pixel 5 {$599}, I can get a brand new Samsung S20 FE.

So. Why would I buy a phone here?

Thoroughly frustrated that PM really does 🤬 all price wise with hardware.

CPO phones from providers sometimes usually is not cheap.  But.. it still have 1 year warranty and 30 days return policy.. so.. the policy itself is like buying a brand new

for the phone spec.  itself, they are neck to neck.. so, it's comparable.

$30 difference for used vs brand new.. yes, that is not significant enough.  I would say $50 would be a better..  

actually, now, there is a $30 bill credit as well .. so, ,with $60 difference,  I think it is ok.

rossputin

So for $30 more {$629} than what PM charges for a used Pixel 5 {$599}, I can get a brand new Samsung S20 FE.

So. Why would I buy a phone here?

Thoroughly frustrated that PM really does 🤬 all price wise with hardware.

Geez what do you guys have on your phones? No wonder people's lives fall apart when they lose their phones......I knew I needed a new phone when my 16GB A320 kept running out of storage space ( with my second sim card taking up the slot for the sd card) but I'm not even using 40% of my storage on my 64GB phone.

Screenshot_20211106-120544.png

has anybody been able to get this working yet?

I have the setting, but when I'm in a call I'm not seeing the button to enable it...

Yes, but then the price becomes too steep for the buyer.   It's difficult to have it all on the cheap.  lol

yes.. even 128gb is barely enough without SD card these day.  I miss the days with SD , you can freely add extra memory for pictures,  movies, songs.

rossputin

@Anonymous 

Too bad it's 64 GB.  I've had the equivalent of 64 GB for a decade now.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@rossputin 

the Pixel 5. is good but i suppose you to buy it that device is lovely

Apple iPhone XS (publicmobile.ca)

Good Luck..

@rossputin 

How did I get that price in my head? Well then that makes the B&H price at US$599 pretty dang good!

since the new 50mp camera is actually taking worst pictures than the older pixels alot of the time. I'm going to skip out this year. maybe when Google's software catches up it will be better. 

the old 12mp camera is still king! otherwise Samsung s21 ultra is the best camera phone right now. that's the closest you will get to a DSLR in your pocket at the moment.

rossputin

@darlicious 

"My mistake the basic 6 is $699."

No, $799.  Still your point remains.

Need Help? Let's chat.