cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Phones not ringing. Going straight to VM

fleur
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi, How do I submit a ticket and chat with someone? I've had an ongoing issue of our PM phones not ringing (my husband, two daughter and mine) intermittently for years. Typically, after about 3 tried it will finally ring but this week, they're not ringing at all. We all have 2 bars while in the house. My work cell (Bell) rings with no issues. I'm at my breaking point...3 weeks ago I had the same issue and they said they had repaired it. I'm drawing a blank on how to submit a ticket for repair . 😞

19 REPLIES 19

@fleur wrote:

Hi there,

Thanks so much. We're in downtown Halifax, Nova Scotia. We've all changed our phones to 3G. The directions to find the network strength don't seem to apply on our iPhones - maybe these are the Android directions? Thanks again.

Glad you got services working better @fleur . But, as mentioned by @dust2dust, this is a temporary fix.

You are in Halifax and you need to change your mobile connection to 3G for all your phones in your family to receive calls?  This. Is. Odd.

And, you say, you have been having this issue for years? That doesn't really does seem right, imo.

Please occasionally switch back to the 'LTE/3G/2G (auto connect)'...or something similar to that, to continue to see if services works as it should.

I will add some suggestions, since I am not sure these were mentioned.

• ensure to restart your phone regularly
  • try performing a Reset of the devices' Network Settings.

This also resets Wi-Fi networks and passwords, cellular settings, and VPN and APN settings that you've used before.

To Reset Network Settings on iphones, begin by opening the Settings app. Next, tap General -> Transfer or Reset iPhone -> Reset -> Reset Network Settings. and enter your passcode.

Your iPhone will reset network settings and restart itself.

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@fleur 

Lol...oh boy can you have fun now! Its important to call the girls at least once every 3 hours to test that your 3G service is still working. You must do this for at least 3 weeks to ward off the pm gremlins that previously occupied your phone. But assure them that if you follow this special pm protocol all will be well. If you miss even one of those calls you have to start over from scratch. 😉

To contact customer support click below:

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

To pre-verify your account include in your private messaging only your full name, address, email, phone # and 4 digit acct pin #.

dust2dust
Mayor / Maire

When you think of it in any near future thought, have a test with going back to LTE in that network area of the phone and try to call your number from another phone and see what happens. The 3G idea should really only be a temporary workaround. This shouldn't be a problem. But it currently is. So test it out when you think of it if you feel like it.

fleur

100% what they’re saying. And don’t think I didn’t say “I told you so!” about there having been an issue. The kids had been telling me it was an issue with ME, presumably my inability to dial a phone?!? So funny! Thanks again, you’ve been lovely. 

self solution removed and reassigned

I'm sure your husband and daughters are delighted to be getting all your calls now. Mo-o-om!? Honey?! Please stop calling us all the time. 🙂

fleur

Hi there,

Thanks so much. We're in downtown Halifax, Nova Scotia. We've all changed our phones to 3G. The directions to find the network strength don't seem to apply on our iPhones - maybe these are the Android directions? Thanks again.

JL9
Mayor / Maire

Im glad you got the solution you were looking for @fleur . The community can be a powerful thing lol

@fleur 

You should be good for 3 more years on 3G. There are plans to eliminate 3G in 2025 to make room for 5G.

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@fleur 

Lol....I am happy to see @dust2dust solved your issue. He is very good at identifying the issue and getting right to the point and asking the right questions and giving good suggestions and instructions. I get all caught up on explaining why it may be happening and how it the system works. So read my posts for some background info or just take that call....your phone must be ringing off the hook!

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

To pre-verify your account include in your private messaging only your full name, address, email, phone # and 4 digit acct pin #.

Now go around and change it on the rest of the phones and then you can call them. Ahhhh!!! I know. I think it's ridiculous to have conversations typing messages. Quick one liners are fine and really handy. But not a conversation.

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@fleur 

I don't think this is a matter of a repair. Three weeks ago there was a system issue that also caused some SIM card provisioning issues for some users. This is likely the "repair" pm fixed by reprovisioning your sim cards. With everyone in your household  experiencing this issue it rules out SIM card degradation. Since you mentioned it's been an issue on and off for years the most likely cause is poor 3G network service. This could be a poor connection and/or signal exasperated lately by cell tower equipment upgrades, new construction or home renovation or other environmental factors.

This can be overcome with you providing us with more information on where you are located and spending some time with us helping you troubleshoot and test your 3G reception issue to come up with a resolution or a workaround for the problem. Voice calls use the 3G network only while texts and mobile data can use both the 4G LTE network and the 3G network. The signal (2 bars) that you see on your phone screen except during a voice call is the 4G LTE network. You need to see what your 3G network signal is like because that's where your issue is stemming from.

Go into your settings. Go to mobile networks. Advanced. Preferred network type. Change it to 3G only. Now the signal strength (bars) will show the 3G network that's used for voice calls. A better reading can be accessed by going to About phone>>SIM card status>>Signal strength>> -60dBm to -90dBm is what you want to see.... -90dbm to -100dBm is poor -101dBm and lower is not a good sign for reception but there are ways to find a solution.

So your location so we can look at the cell tower map and your 3G network signal strength will really help us help you. Customer support is unlikely to delve I to your issue in this manner.

To pre-verify your account include in your private messaging only your full name, address, email, phone # and 4 digit acct pin #

fleur

You have no idea how happy I am! I'm going to leave it on 3G. My bars didn't change but 3G popped up on the screen. LTE has never shown up while we're in the house. We're not heavy internet users so I think we should be good. Yay!! This made my day. Thank you! I have no idea what these bravos mean or if they give you freebies, etc. But I will bravo you.... multiple times if I can! 🙂 

dust2dust
Mayor / Maire

Fantastic! This should be temporary. But you could leave it if you like. If you do heavy interneting with cell data then you might notice a difference. But you might also find data a little faster.

You probably also saw your bars go up.

fleur

OMG!! @dust2dust, it WORKED!!!!!!!! Can I leave it on 3G forever? I literally called my phone 26 times and it kept going straight to VM. I switched it to 3G and voila! it rang right away. Thank YOU!!!!

fleur

Thanks, I will reach out to them for more help. My husband and kids have been with PM for years. I only just joined and use my phone as a phone WAY more than the other 3 so I'm noticing it a lot. I used to call my other family members from my work (Bell phone) and tell them their phone isn't ringing when I call but they would just tell me I was doing something wrong! Yes, wrong! Teenagers... I gave up trying to tell them there's an issue.  I'm in Nova Scotia 🙂 

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@fleur  Years, really that long ? Holy Smokes!

You have been a community member for a while, but haven't noticed you posted any issues since now.

Are you in the Manitoba area by any chance?

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Using-Your-Service/Text-From-PM-About-Changes-To-Mani...

To contact the Public Mobile Customer Support Agent (CSA)_Team, there are two methods to reach them:

1 -  Faster  use this link to: Get Help With SIMon the Public Mobile chatbot

OR

2 – Slower - Use this link to:

Contact Public Mobile Representatives (CSA) by submitting a message(ticket) to them here: 

Private Message to Public Mobile Customer Support Agents (CSA)

dust2dust
Mayor / Maire

Can you try setting the phones to 3G (or WCDMA or UMTS). Phones usually wait on LTE and then when a call happens they automatically switch to 3G. Maybe there's work going on in your area so the switching might not be working properly. So this is a temporary workaround.

walker1
Mayor / Maire

@fleur 

Just send a private message to CS_Agent to get help with that, if that's what your trying to do.

Need Help? Let's chat.