cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PhoneBox

cai
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi guys,

Just wondering if anyone knows much about the provider PhoneBox (https://gophonebox.com/)? I’ve heard that they also use Telus’ network, however they offer even cheaper plans than PM. For example, their $40 monthly plan includes Unlimited Canada-wide Calling, Unlimited Canada-wide Messaging and 1GB data at 4G LTE speed, however with PM, the same plan costs $43 after the $2 autopay discount if you select the length of the plan to be 90 days. If you select the length of the plan to be 30 days, then it costs $45 after the $2 autopay discount. Also PhoneBox has a toll free costumer service phone number, and apparently they offer support in 7+ languages.

Thanks!

14 REPLIES 14

Beagles

Update: phonebox now offering 8G @ 5G speeds for CAD30. I wish PM would even come close. I've got the whole family on PM. I don't want to leave, but this will probably cause me to switch over to phonebox.

tonyqs87
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

never use phonebox.

check the google review first.

phonebox is a scam!!!!

they have hiding fees!

Michael77
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Nothing really special. 

@will13am wrote:

@wetcoaster wrote:

@will13am wrote:

I never heard of these guys until now.  A little bit of searching and they do indeed show up wiki.  This carrier apparently uses Rogers prepaid and Telus postpaid.  As far as prices go, they suck.  Nothing to see here, time to move on.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Canadian_mobile_phone_companies

It's interesting that they are listed under Travel SIM Cards / Special Services...

I tried to check into them last December, seeing an amazing data only deal on their - at the time very broken - website. They never returned my call nor did they reply to my e-mails. Not very confidence inspiring so I moved on.

Last December, the big promo on data only was from Fido.  They were selling 3 gigs for $15 with a free tablet if you don't mind staying for two years.  I have several of Fido data only plans to replace the Wind data only plans.

That's what we ended up with.

I have a phobia of being locked into any cell phone plan longer than 3 months, though. ROFL.

@wetcoaster wrote:

@will13am wrote:

I never heard of these guys until now.  A little bit of searching and they do indeed show up wiki.  This carrier apparently uses Rogers prepaid and Telus postpaid.  As far as prices go, they suck.  Nothing to see here, time to move on.

It's interesting that they are listed under Travel SIM Cards / Special Services...

I tried to check into them last December, seeing an amazing data only deal on their - at the time very broken - website. They never returned my call nor did they reply to my e-mails. Not very confidence inspiring so I moved on.

Last December, the big promo on data only was from Fido.  They were selling 3 gigs for $15 with a free tablet if you don't mind staying for two years.  I have several of Fido data only plans to replace the Wind data only plans.

@will13am wrote:

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

Wow, their 1gb add-on is $15! Love it 🙂

Michael77
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

This is the first time hearing about Phone box. I am going to check them out 

Kaiyo
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@cai yes, Public Mobile is also pre-paid, so should compare apple to apple.

cai

Thanks @Kaiyo! Yes, they have two types of plans: pre-paid and monthly. Their montly plans are a bit cheaper than pre-paid. 

cai

Thanks @imm1304! I believe the plan that you mentioned (PM is $45/30 days for 2GB LTE) is Provice-wide calling not Canada-wide calling? Yes, I see that they only offer Canada-wide messaging, and for people who send international texts a lot, PM is definitely a better choice.  

Kaiyo
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Their pre-paid price for the Unlimited Canada-wide Calling, Unlimited Canada-wide Messaging, and 1GB data is $45

imm1304
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

Never heard of them.  Just checked out the link you posted above and their prices do not look much better than PM's.  They give Canadawide calling but less data (PM is $45/30 days for 2GB LTE) for the $ and their SMS/MMS are Canadawide only.. international text and mms are $0.25 per message.

Need Help? Let's chat.