cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Phone software way out of date

DocVW
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I purchased a Huawei P20 Pro mainly for the camera but it has Emui 8 and Android 8 as it's software, both being way out of date. Checking for updates constantly says up to date. How can I update my phone software?

11 REPLIES 11

stefnhisl
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hi DocVW, I understand that the outdated software on your Huawei P20 Pro is not exactly what you expected. Dealing with Emui 8 and Android 8 in 2024 is like driving a classic car on a smart highway. Here's a workaround that might help:

1. Manual Update: Sometimes, the automated update system lags. Check Huawei's official website for your phone model. They often provide manual update files. Download it, follow the instructions, and you might jumpstart your software.

2. Service Centers: Swing by a Huawei service center if there's one nearby. They can manually update your phone for you. It's a bit old-school, but it works.

3. Custom ROMs: If you're feeling adventurous, explore custom ROMs compatible with your phone. Just be careful and follow the instructions to the tee.

I had a similar issue with an old phone of mine, and the manual update did the trick. Hope this helps...

jhol

Google and Huawei have broke their agreement a couple of years ago, so the apps/updates are unfortunately not gonna sync. Just make sure to do a good backup on an sd card if you do have any updates because you won't be able to get back up to where you're at again on their servers. (It's also pretty tricky to get apps too). I'm sorry you're in that position, hopefully they were able to refund you!

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@DocVW i am pretty sure CPO phones sold by any carriers are sold As-Is and carrier won't responsible for pushing ANY updates.  They will only take care of those phones they sold new or sold with contract.   

Some CPO phones are sold and still got update because it was checking with manufacturers server directly.   I doubt Telus purposely blocked this phone from downloading new updates.

Should the phone get further update?  you should check with Huawei Canada for their support.

Meow
Mayor / Maire

@DocVW wrote:

Doesn't make any sense that Telus would sell me a phone that is so out of date with security patches

You bought refurbished product. I doubt there is many just issued phones in refurbished market...

Your phone, not PM decides is it time to update OS or not.

If you know there is fresher OS than what you currently run, search for web sites collecting and offering OS for particular brand/model. Mind you, even if you find newer OS than what you currently run and try to update your phone you might brick it.

Good luck. My phone is running Android v8 and I am content with it. Do not know what latest OS can do but I doubt it can do dishes, dusting and putting garbage on a curb.

And your phone will not run faster nor it will use less memory. It is all just cosmetics and reason to replace 'old' phone with 'new' model and charge even more.

@DocVW wrote:

I purchased a Huawei P20 Pro mainly for the camera but it has Emui 8 and Android 8 as it's software, both being way out of date. Checking for updates constantly says up to date. How can I update my phone software?

Unforrtunately, this phone model is approaching 4 years old and further updates are unlikely.  Take that into account and comparing pricing to other sources, Public Mobile's CPO phhone lineup pricing leaves much to be desired.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@DocVW 

just to you know for Telus or any other company providers can't block software updates for any device,

when is showing update available in device you can install.

If you are not satisfied, you can return your purchase for an exchange or refund, with the original sales receipt, within 30 days from purchase date if bought online. Click Here link, for more information regarding our return policies.

after 30-day If you are experiencing issues with your phone, and it no longer falls within the 1-year Certified Pre-Owned warranty period or physical / liquid damage is present, we recommend bringing your phone directly to one of Mobile Klinik’s established walk-in repair shops for quick,

@DocVW 

I don't think that the Google play store is supporting that brand of phone that well any more, lately.  Telus can't control that.

DocVW

Also I should mention that Huawei is still updating both the Emui and Android, the block is by Telus!!!

DocVW

Doesn't make any sense that Telus would sell me a phone that is so out of date with security patches

Anonymous
Not applicable

@DocVW : But if you're up for it, you could hack in an aftermarket OS. Android phones have a fairly short OS update lifespan. Unlike the fruit brand.

walker1
Mayor / Maire

@DocVW 

If your phone says it's up to date, then there's no new updates for your phone at this time.

You can't get or force an update for your phone, if there aren't any.

Need Help? Let's chat.