cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Phone plan for visitors

pckku
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Please let me know whether or not I go to Walmart, purchase a PM sim card and activate it to get a new number, without using a physical phone. The PM sim card will be for my visitors coming to Canada in about one week. I am sure their current phone WILL work onPublic Mobile network as they have the same phone as mine. Can I activate a new sim card without their phone?  

13 REPLIES 13

pckku

@srlawren, Yes, the phones are unlocked.  Than you for the reminder.

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@sethtayfun wrote:

hi. can someone tell me how to get a PM simcard in Calgary?

Thanks

@sethtayfun sure thing.  You basically have 3 options:

1) Order directly from Public Mobile and have it shipped to your door https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/bc/get-started

2) Purchase from a WoW Mobile Boutique https://www.wowmobile.ca/en/locations/

3) Purchase at a Walmart electronics department (most locations carry them).

Note that the Public Mobile page I linked above includes an IMEI checker, but it does have a history of producing false positives.  The community recommends you use https://www.willmyphonework.net to verify compatibility.  Also, please make sure that your phone is not locked to your previous provider.  If you purchased it from the provider, prior to Dec 2017, it most likely is locked and you will need to contact them for an unlock code prior to using your phone with Public Mobile.

EDIT: you double-posted so i guess you probably already had the info you needed.  Oh well.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

sethtayfun
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

hi. can someone tell me how to get a PM simcard in Calgary?

Thanks

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@pckku wrote:

Please let me know whether or not I go to Walmart, purchase a PM sim card and activate it to get a new number, without using a physical phone. The PM sim card will be for my visitors coming to Canada in about one week. I am sure their current phone WILL work onPublic Mobile network as they have the same phone as mine. Can I activate a new sim card without their phone?  

@pckku one thing I don't think anyone has already mentioned in this thread is that your visitor's phone will need to be unlocked.  If it was obtained from a cell phone provider in their home country, it might well be locked to that carrier.  They would need to get it unlocked before using it with Public Mobile (or any other Canadian provider) if it's carrer-locked.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

Dougmania
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

No you don't need a phone when you sign up. Just go into walmart, and come out with an activated sim. Since it is free SIM and up to $32 bonus credits it is a great time to buy at Walmart.

1. Go to Walmart store and ask to sign up for public mobile. You get $20 Credit when you sign up at walmart.
2. Use your email as a login name (if you are going to port from PC mobile or Koodo, make sure to use a different email address)
3. Enter your referral number. If you don’t have one, I can give you one. You need a referral for the $10 credit.
4. Pick your plan and phone number and enter your credit card information when signing up and choose to Auto Pay and activate your SIM. You get $2 credit for doing autopay. You have to pay for the first 30 days.
5. Create and log into your publicmobile.ca account to find your credits within 72 hours.

pckku

Thank you all for the great help!!! 

Will go out and buy the sims from Walmart this week to take advantage of the $10 credit promotion for the sim card.

Orz

Yes, I did just that and it works. I opened a new line for my dad and did not bring a phone with me so I walked out of the store with only the sim card after everything said and done.

Although it is a good idea to bring a working phone to test whether the sim activates and works properly on the spot. That may save you one trip should anything happen.

meocon
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@pckku yes you will get $10 for friend referral if you don't have any friend from PM to refer you can send me a private message I can give you my phone number.

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Announcements/Friendship-Forever-Celebrate-Your-BFF-T...

pckku

Thank you.  And will I also getting the $10 back from Walmart if I activate the sim there? 

wetcoaster
Mayor / Maire

@pckku wrote:

You don't need an a phone / IMEI for signing up with Public Mobile, obviously you'll need a device to use the SIM.

I would put the freshly activated SIM into your phone to make sure everything works as expected.

MacMe

Yes, you can buy a SIM and activate it without a phone.

meocon

@pckku Yes you can activate a new sim card with PM without a phone. Also, don't forget PM currently has some perfect promos. Activate at Walmart with Talk+Text plan you will get $20 credit bill + free sim + $10 for a friend referral as well. hurry this week only

Need Help? Let's chat.