cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Phone number being used by someone else

Unsuitable
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Apparently, this could be a porting issue and someone typed my number by mistake. Anyways, I got a text asking why I called them. Well it wasn't me. I checked on the public mobile usage history and there are no outgoing calls to the guys number. The person took a screenshot so I got the time stamp and the number was indeed my number. Could get I get mod to look into this so that my phone number is not stolen. Thanks

9 REPLIES 9

I use a VoIP service to make calls over WiFi or from my computer, and set it to send the caller ID of my mobile phone...

So if it's easy for me to "spoof" the caller ID of my cell phone, it sure as s**t will be easy for scammers to spoof whatever numbers they want to show too... Useful but unfortunately ripe for abuse...

BKNS27
Mayor / Maire

@Unsuitable 

We have been getting them too. 
I’ve noticed that spoofers use the same area code and first 3 digit of our number.

ToMuchCatnip
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Yeah it was actually the same area code now that you mention it. Darned scammer spoofers! 😠

Hopefully they sort it out. 

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@Unsuitable wrote:

Apparently, this could be a porting issue and someone typed my number by mistake. Anyways, I got a text asking why I called them. Well it wasn't me. I checked on the public mobile usage history and there are no outgoing calls to the guys number. The person took a screenshot so I got the time stamp and the number was indeed my number. Could get I get mod to look into this so that my phone number is not stolen. Thanks

@Unsuitable 

I know it can be freaky to get a call and someone says "you just called me?", and you DID NOT.

It is a type of phone spam, fraudsters can call people making it look like they are calling from someone else's number. This way it makes the person receiving the call seems more likely to answer it.

Hopefully, they drop your number to use. It really is not a security risk and nothing Public Mobile can do unfortunately.

@ToMuchCatnip   yes , it's a very common practice these day.  In fact, you might have received some calls yourself, too.  Didn't you have received some calls from very similar pattern to your own?  Same area code and same first 4 digits.  The scammer know people  now not answer those 1-800 numbers any more, so, they try this spoofing and hope more people picks up the phone. 

ToMuchCatnip
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Same thing happened to me this week. Get a call from someone asking why I called em. Was like huh? Checked my call history and nothing. Not sure what is up.  

Dunkman
Oracle
Oracle

@Unsuitable wrote:

@Unsuitable 

It is likely a scam called Caller ID spoofing.  Somebody is using your number to call other people.  Nothing really can be done.  Next time somebody calls, just tell them you did not call and it is caller ID spoofing.  

Moderator or customer service agents are unable to really help.  

https://crtc.gc.ca/eng/phone/telemarketing/identit.htm

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@Unsuitable  no worry.. not porting issue. No need to contact CS Agent.

It is call Caller ID Spoofing

https://crtc.gc.ca/eng/phone/telemarketing/identit.htm

Very common these days, nothing you can do.

Those scammer /spammer trying to make their number more like "regular" number to fool people to pick up the call.  They randomly generated the caller id number and it happens to be your number.   No worry,  it is not you being targeted

All provider are supposed to do something by end of Nov.  Let see if this will really "kill" this practice , or at least lower the number

We (CRTC) asked telecommunications service providers to implement, by 30 November 2021, the STIR/SHAKEN framework which is a caller ID authentication and verification measure. It aims to certify the extent to which a given caller’s identity can be trusted. This will empower Canadians to determine which calls are authenticated, thus reducing the frequency and impact of caller ID spoofing on consumers.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Unsuitable 

just ignore them and deleted and blocked...

if you need to Contact Customer Support Agent by CS_Agent, and Explain your issue to 
they can solve your issue, they are nice Service Team they will help you 100%.

Here’s How To Contact Customer Support Agent by CS_Agent,and Submit a Ticket,

Spoiler
  • Get help with your account the easy way by starting a conversation with our virtual assistant, SIMon. It’ll take you to relevant help articles, or if it’s something more urgent, it can help you submit a ticket to Customer Support Agent by CS_Agent,Click Here link,to get started. Type,, Ticket ,, Click ,, Contact Us ,, Select your issue ,,
    Click here to submit a ticket↗↗.

• or you can send a private message to Customer Support Agent by CS_Agent, by Click Here link,
  • please include in your message,
  • phone number,
  • account number, 
  • account 4 digit pin,
  • Email address,

• Customer Support Agent by CS_Agent, will Response to your inbox by private message 
  • During business hours, we strive to answer customer messages swiftly. You will often get an answer within an hour. During peak periods, you may need to wait up to 48 hours.Customer Support Agents are available:
    • Monday to Sunday: 6 AM to 10 PM EST

Check your private message inbox (click on the envelope top right of your screen)

Good Luck.....

Need Help? Let's chat.