cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Phone not connecting to network

SandyE
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I have a Motorola Moto G Power (2020) and it is not connecting to the cellular network.  I am camping in Northern Saskatchewan and there should be LTE Telus network, and we have another phone (iPhone 6) on Public Mobile that is connected fine, so there is definitely coverage.  We have tried resetting the network settings but that doesn't help.  Any other suggestions?  This phone has been "flakey" with connecting to the network even in the city, so I feel like there must be some issues with the settings.

21 REPLIES 21

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

Did I miss this...does your Moto work when you are not at the camping location otherwise @SandyE  ?

@SandyE wrote:

I think it is a Canadian model.  We purchased it at Costco in Calgary.

If it's convenient for you and if you're still within the Costco return guidelines (I know it's a 2020 model but I'm unsure how long ago the purchase was made), I would simply take it back for a refund or you can exchange it.

@SandyE wrote:

We have 4 phones with us:

MotoG with PM - won't connect

IPhone 6 with PM - works fine

Samsung with Telus - works fine

IPhone with Bell - works fine

When I swap the two PM SIM cards (MotoG and iphone 6) the SIM cards both work in the iPhone but not in the MotoG.

However, the MotoG briefly connected to the network this afternoon.

If you go to www.devicecheck.ca, what is the status of your device if you enter the IMEI?

SandyE

We have 4 phones with us:

MotoG with PM - won't connect

IPhone 6 with PM - works fine

Samsung with Telus - works fine

IPhone with Bell - works fine

When I swap the two PM SIM cards (MotoG and iphone 6) the SIM cards both work in the iPhone but not in the MotoG.

However, the MotoG briefly connected to the network this afternoon.

Timer
Mayor / Maire

@SandyE 

your SIM card if fine on other device then your device is have a issue

tried to Factory Reset Erase All Content & Settings

or   Hard Reset Wipe Data / Restore Defaults.

before you do this if you need to back up your info for ( all contact number/photos/videos).

Sorry, I may have misunderstood. At first, I see you said the iphone is with Public Mobile, then later I thought I understood the iphone is with Telus. 

Are other phones actual Public Mobile customer(s) ?

If so, i'd lean more towards @will13am post: https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Get-Support/Phone-not-connecting-to-network/m-p/85738...

SandyE

I think there is only LTE here, not 3G.  My Samsung that is on Telus is working great but says it is connected to LTE.   

Are you saying that PM doesn't work with LTE?  But then why is out PM iPhone working here?  Sorry I'm so confused and don't understand all this 😞

@SandyE wrote:

If we select only 3G, it says there are no networks found.  Will try swapping the SIM card.

@SandyE  - If you had services on your Moto before going camping, it is likely the towers near you. They may not support 3G.

Telus offers voice over LTE. PM, not known for this. So, wherever Telus/Bell 3G you should be able to have service.

BKNS27
Mayor / Maire

@SandyE 

It sounds like the Moto is your problem.

Maybe try a factory reset and see if the Moto works after it has been reset.

@SandyE wrote:

I switched SIM cards with our other PM phone.   The SIM card works fine in the other phone (iPhone 6).  The SIM from the iPhone does not work in the MotoG.

HI @SandyE   So, I think that confirmed it is a device issue and not PM

check MotoG System menu to find the exact model.  It could be the lack of compatible bands to work with the limited coverage up there

SandyE

I switched SIM cards with our other PM phone.   The SIM card works fine in the other phone (iPhone 6).  The SIM from the iPhone does not work in the MotoG.

SandyE

I think it is a Canadian model.  We purchased it at Costco in Calgary.

@SandyE   is your MotoG a Canadian model?  Some overseas versions have less compatible bands

SandyE

I will try switching SIM cards if I can find a pin.  We have an iPhone 6 with PM, a Samsung with Telus (so I assume same network) and another iPhone with Bell.

SandyE

I have 4 bars of signal on my Samsung which is on Telus (so I assume same network as Public Mobile).  I don't have the iPhone 6 with me right now.  But cell coverage is solid.  I have enough coverage to Hotspot the MotoG from my Samsung, we can stream videos etc.  So I don't think that is the case, unless the MotoG is really horrendous?

Meow
Mayor / Maire

As you have multiple phones, switch SIMs and see if if it is SIM or phone issue.

Are other phones with PM?

SandyE

If we select only 3G, it says there are no networks found.  Will try swapping the SIM card.

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@SandyE  settings on your Moto is likely the culprit.

You could try swapping sims with the iphone user to see if your SIM card reacts the same..that is, if you have a pin to find to open the sim slot camping. 🙂

Try, manually selecting the 3G / WCDMA ONLY network in your Mobile Connections area in your settings (temporarily) on your Moto G. Does that help ?

SandyE

Ok, but why do we have issues with this phone and not with the other 3 phones we have with us?  There is good cell network here.

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

If you have connection problems even in city...it's gonna be worse in the north Sask hinterland.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@SandyE , what is the signal strength showing on the iPhone 6?  It could be that the coverage is rather spotty and the iPhone has better cellular performance than the Moto G.  

Need Help? Let's chat.