cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Phone not connecting to cellular network in Alaska. Worked fine last year, any tips?

loebproductions
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I purchased a US Roaming and Data package from Public Mobile. It's been working decently throughout most of the USA but for some reason I have zero signal, no data and no service in Anchorage, AK. Any tips on troubleshooting? I've restarted my phone and tried the other providers and no luck. Thanks so much.

10 REPLIES 10

maximum_gato
Mayor / Maire

@loebproductions 

With the absence of AT&T as a roaming partner there is no US Roaming service for pm customers in Alaska. CGI has the best network coverage in Alaska and is T-Mobile's roaming partner but alas only for their customers. If you choose CGI here is their list of VoLTE capable phones.....

https://www.gci.com/support/support-articles/wireless-volte-supported-devices

@loebproductions if you choose Manual network selection but your don't see AT&T, then serry, nothing else you can do to try connecting to it  (I thought you see it on the list earlier)

if you are there for work, consider getting local prepaid data sim card.  Check lock siores for options.  Here is a page with some suggestions

https://www.moneysavingpro.com/cellphones/sim-cards/ak/

In your device's network connections, turn off automatic connection and choose manually.

If AT&T doesn't display, you won't be able to manually select it to try.

In any case, I highly doubt it would work anyway, however perhaps worth the try if they display as an available network in your area.

Yup @loebproductions - that's about right.   They use those providers to piggyback for actual T-Mobile subscribers who require service there.

Regrettably, you'll need to subscribe to a local provider SIM card if you require service there, and perhaps try the contact to the Customer Support Agents here to let them know you might like a refund of the purchase price of the add-on.

loebproductions

Thanks for the assistance! Is there a way to manually connect to AT&T if I don't see it on the available providers on my phone? I'm here for work and it would be amazing to have my phone working, thanks! 

@loebproductions Yes  as T-MOBILE does not have a network there

I don't think it will work, but try connect to AT&T.  It should be a roaming partner for PM, worked before and stopped working in the last year or so.   PM still shows this in the website and we hope it might work again soon

loebproductions

Thanks for the reply! Really appreciate it. 

I don't even see an option for T Mobile. Just AT&T, GCI, Verizon and FirstNet.

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@loebproductions Many reported roaming does. not work in Alaska.

Mainly because PM's roaming patnerT-Mobile does not have network there.  T-Mobile users themselves can roam for free with another Alaska carrier but that arrangement  does not extended to Public Mobile"a roaming users

PM"s used to have another roaming partner AT&T that we can use to roam with in Alaska but roaming on AT&T has not work for work sometime 

If you cannot use the roaming you got in this trip, when you come back in Canada, you can open a ticket with PM support and they will likely reverse the transaction for you

HALIMACS
Mayor / Maire

Coincidentally, @loebproductions , I did find this article which raises some level of concern:

Anchorage Alaska not supported by T-Mobile | T-Mobile Community

HALIMACS
Mayor / Maire

@loebproductions 

Are you manually connecting to the T-Mobile network there?

Check the T-Mobile's network outage page to see if there are any service issues in the area you are in.

If possible, also try your PM SIM card in another (known to be working) device to see if it can pick up the T-Mobile signal in your vicinity.

Need Help? Let's chat.