cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Phone Plan Data Add On Hitting Limit, but phone data is off and shows 48 mb

jgrieb
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hi,

My sons phone has the $15 plan, with 250 MB + the 1 GB bonus data plan.  He always keeps his data off and only turns on manually to check messages occasionally. For 3 months in a row his phone data stops working when his phone data tracker show 48 or 60 mb. which is way under the plans amount. When I log onto the on line portal to see how much he has used it doesn't show the data usage, and only a line at the bottom states " If you don't see usage above, it have been complete consumed " or close to that.

How do I fix this or know what is happening ? 

9 REPLIES 9

@VicLuci If the member signs up again, that person would end up paying for two phone plans.

@jgrieb 

250MB data isn't much. As popping was saying, this is likely a case of your device showing usage for a different period of time/different days.  Also, there is no $15 plan that includes a bonus of 1GB of data every 30 days. 

VicLuci
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

TRY TO REGISTER AGAIN 

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@jgrieb wrote:

Hi,

My sons phone has the $15 plan, with 250 MB + the 1 GB bonus data plan.  He always keeps his data off and only turns on manually to check messages occasionally. For 3 months in a row his phone data stops working when his phone data tracker show 48 or 60 mb. which is way under the plans amount. When I log onto the on line portal to see how much he has used it doesn't show the data usage, and only a line at the bottom states " If you don't see usage above, it have been complete consumed " or close to that.

PM billing cycle is 30 days.  Phone usage tracker is base on monthly.  PM starts date changes depending on the number of days in a month.  Ask your son to update his phone tracker from the renewal date.

Also configure his phone to continue to use data even after your plan data is fully used.  His phone tracker may stop his data usage.  Since PM is prepaid, there is not overage charge and his data will stop after he sued all 250MB data.

dabr
Mayor / Maire

@jgrieb wrote:

Hi,

@jgrieb  It maybe apps that are allowed to update via the data instead of WIFI? 

But if the data line is missing from his account then he has used up his allotment of plan data which isn't a lot to begin and can easily be consumed whenever he is switching data on to check his message and if responding back will use up more of his data.

BTW make sure the background data is restricted.  Sometimes it will automatically default to being enabled and he needs to disable it again.

Helpershelper
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@jgrieb 

Can you try turning off that phone for 5 mins and then when on, turn on airplane mode for 10 seconds, then turn it off to see if the data is working.

With the self-serve system, if the data isn't showing on the overview page (when you first sign into self-serve), then it has been used up for your current cycle. Conventional thinking would suggest that the system displays the data still showing 100% consumption.

Unfortunately, the self-serve is programmed to remove reference to data when it is all used up. If you don't see the data list in your plan details (I believe it's the Plans & Add-ons page), then you have an account issue and will need to contact the moderator team for assistance.
If your data has run out, you can renew your plan early (if you contact the mods) or switch to a plan with more data (now or at renewal) or purchase a data add-on.

JoyLuck
Mayor / Maire

@jgrieb 

usage.jpg

Anonymous
Not applicable

@jgrieb wrote:

Hi,

The phone is using data. The front overview page is accurate. There's a slight chance your data hasn't renewed. At your renewal you can look at that overview counter to make sure it shows up.

Phones also have a failover to cell data if and when the wifi is weak. Turn that off too. Along with all the data usage that all the apps might be doing. You just want the apps you want to use data. Not just everything.

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

Need Help? Let's chat.