cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Panasonic Link2Cell or any other Link2Cell

LurganIeUk
Mayor / Maire

Has any one tried a product like this with their Public Mobile cell phone?. A home phone handset(s) that allows to/from calls while connected to your cell phone by blue tooth. 

22 REPLIES 22

@CountyDownIeUk   did you try to seek support from Panasonic?  

CountyDownIeUk
Mayor / Maire

Time has passed since my original post and the time came, to no longer be a voip.ms customer because of their DDOS attack which I feel they could have prevented my 2 week outage. 

I then decided to buy a 3rd PM $15 account to run our land line number. Choice of device was a Zeta WF721 or an iPhone 8 Plus Bluetooth connected to a Panasonic Link2cell phone set that is currently sold by Costco .........Panasonic® KX-TG175C DECT 6.0 Digital Phone System. 

After numerous attempts to get the Bluetooth connect to connect.....it all failed. In googling the issue I found that some iPhones are on the compatible list even though Panasonic says some will not connect. 

So a few days pass and I return the set to Costco. 

So my question is.....if you have a blue tooth connection to a Panasonic Link2cell with an iPhone....what models of each do you have? Or are there some secret synching tricks?

barrascuk
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@BearFBI wrote:

@LurganIeUk I'm actually using Panasonic Link2Cell base and handsets in my home with 2 PM phones. The device Bluetooth connectivity is great and has good range. It all comes down to the phone. My second cell linked to it is a lower end phone and Bluetooth sucks on it. When making calls it wouldn't connect the audio through the handset but it would connect through the phone. It can be buggy at times but if you have a good phone you shouldn't have a problem. Call quality is just like calling on the phone itself. 

@BearFBI @popping 

When you have no land line account and the  cell phone is linked does:

The Panasonic answering machine take messages from a cell phone call?

Does caller id work both ways calling out/in?

barrascuk
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@BearFBI wrote:

@LurganIeUk I'm actually using Panasonic Link2Cell base and handsets in my home with 2 PM phones. The device Bluetooth connectivity is great and has good range. It all comes down to the phone. My second cell linked to it is a lower end phone and Bluetooth sucks on it. When making calls it wouldn't connect the audio through the handset but it would connect through the phone. It can be buggy at times but if you have a good phone you shouldn't have a problem. Call quality is just like calling on the phone itself. 

@BearFBI 

When you have no land line account and the  cell phone is linked does:

The Panasonic answering machine take messages from a cell phone call?

Does caller id work both ways calling out/in?

BearFBI
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@LurganIeUk If you want to go with a cell solution I would hold off on that. 

Try to signup with dotmobile as a founding member. They are offering perks to founding members when their service launces. 

"To celebrate this release, we are happy to announce some of the perks* for you, our Founding Members:"

• A free monthly subscription to wireless service when it launches
    • Founding members will get their monthly subscription fee waived, which includes voice and text, so they only pay for Data On Tap with all its benefits - unlimited rollover and no roaming fees in Canada or the US.
  • Ongoing Marketplace discounts and special offers
  • Discounts on repairs, phone insurance (available in the near future)

If they launch they might offer free talk and txt service via SIM to founding members. (Original Price 10$). It may be cheaper than going with PM's 25$ plan. 

I would signup just in case. You never know. 

@computergeek541 wrote:

@Nezgar wrote:

Also if you ever dial 911 on FPL - it is subject to a $35 fee ... But at least it works if you need it I guess.

Is that even legal? I would have thought something a charge such as that would for accidental calls.

Well, by comparison voip.ms offers the ability to optionally enable 911... It just won't work at all if you don't enable it. Definitely not safe to skimp on that if you're using it as a home phone...

"Use of our 911 Service costs a recovery setup fee of $ 1.50 on activation and a regulatory recovery fee of $ 1.50 per DID number activated per month. We do not make a cent on this charge, it is simply what we must pay to provide you with this service."

"You are not required to enable this feature. However, you will not be able to dial 911 from your Voip.ms account unless you have activated this service."

@Nezgar wrote:

Also if you ever dial 911 on FPL - it is subject to a $35 fee ... But at least it works if you need it I guess.

Is that even legal? I would have thought something a charge such as that would for accidental calls.

BearFBI

@popping If @LurganIeUk can figure out how to setup his ATA with voip.ms im sure he can do it with FPL. There both DIY services.

I personally would just stick with the fongo home phone instead of FPL. 5$ a month for Canada wide calling. You cant beat that. You also get a pre-configured box and tech support. You also dont have to worry about FPL shutting down and you wasting your 100$ for the unlock key. I have a feeling FPL will be shut down eventually.

Thanks. The Koodo home phone is out for sure. And I would assume I would have to buy the Zeta box. Telus has similar plan to.....with Zeta box. My VoIP.ms runs off of an unlocked ATA box and I have a spare brand new one too. I think I paid $20 each for them on Craigslist. I pay approx., taxes in, $12-13 a month converted to CDN$. I dropped Telus phone years ago but now I see they will give you a forever loyalty rate for home phone for $5 a month. There is no money in wired land lines any more. A huge shift from where they came from till now with the money makers like internet, TV, and mobile. I believe I was paying Telus around $30 for land line.....I need to check some old PDF copies if I still have. 

I just thought PM with lots of rewards on the $15 plan with some add ons that I could do for $5 a month. 

EDIT: I was paying $25 plus taxes and then went to voip.ms for 1/2 the price. 

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@BearFBI wrote:

@LurganIeUk There are Some ZTE devices that have backup batteries. I believe the one @popping talked about has a backup battery inside of it. 

It definitely will take time to lower the cost of that plan. For a quite some time you will be paying a higher price for home phone than you are used to. I find it hard to get refferals.

You could also use FPL. Ive heard good things about that.

FPL is a DIY service.  FPL used to answer questions on how to setup ATA box.  FPL stops that service a few years ago.  But their forum is still have answers.  But there is info on Internet on how to setup the ATA box.

FPL charges $100 to get the key for the ATA box now.

But it will be free as long as FPL or Fongo is still in business.

If FPL starts charging monthly fee, I will buy a ZTE home phone hub WF721 and port my home number to PM in a heartbeat.

BearFBI

@LurganIeUk There are Some ZTE devices that have backup batteries. I believe the one @popping talked about has a backup battery inside of it. 

It definitely will take time to lower the cost of that plan. For a quite some time you will be paying a higher price for home phone than you are used to. I find it hard to get refferals.

You could aso use FPL. Ive heard good things about that.

popping

@LurganIeUk wrote:

I was just thinking with the rewards at PM and a phone for in the house only to run off a link2cell or some other SIM based phone. It could be cheaper than VoIP.ms.

Over 6 years ago, I spent $100 to get a freephoneline.ca key + number porting fee + used ATA box from Kijiji for the purpose to keep on home phone number as every members in my house has a cellphone. 

The service is good with RJ45 cable connected to my Internet router (not WiFi)..  It is free every month.  It costs me a little over $1/m if I amortize my initial $100 over last 6 years free service. 

popping

@LurganIeUk 

Koodo has a $5 home phone service for 12 months.

https://www.koodomobile.com/phones/wireless-home-phone

It may be cheaper to buy the ZTE box with a PM plan.

Do your calculation.

I did a quick search of "zte wf721" and found a few for $30 to $40. You can buy the Telus or Koodo version to use with PM just in case they are locked.

Nitty Gritty

@BearFBI wrote:

@LurganIeUk wrote:

HI thanks. Any spousal issues with it? 😀

In regards to positioning, did you first look for best reception in your home for the cell phone to best determine the position the MAIN Panasonic hand set?

Is your MAIN handset have a land line # too like from Telus or Bell or VOIP?

For blocking numbers do you use the Panasonic options or the cell phone options?

For VM does the Panasonic store them or the cell phone?

Does your Panasonic work in a power outage by having a charged hand set in the MAIN device?

Positioning was not an issue. Cell coverage is not a major problem as my whole house gets adequate cell coverage while walking around with my phone. Bluetooth range was not an issue for me either. 

I do not have a landline or Voip phone connected to it at the moment but when i previously had a Bell landline and bought these handsets it seemed to work perfectly together. When making a call you had the option to dial out with the landline or one of the linked cells. 

For blocking numbers ive used the Panasonic options on the handset and it works just fine but i usually block the numbers on my cell phone as that is the phone that I use daily while not at home. 

Voicemails get stored on the Cell Phone but you can configure your voicemail number onto the base so when you click the VM button it can call your PM voicemail.

The Panasonic Set does work during a power outage. There are replaceable batteries in the base that will allow it to stay powered on. But my model may be different than the one you are looking at.

Sorry the proper name for the MAIN set escapes me. I am meaning the much larger hand set holder  that accepts a Telco hard wire and holds the VMs. 

KX-TG9542B_ALT01.jpg

Is it this one ?. I have the same one but without the wireless handset base. Instead the base has a corded phone attached to it.

I have Voip right now and really like some of the options that it has but I could actually have a more secure home phone by using Link2Cell as I would not be dependent on having the internet. I was thinking of a PM account only and port our landline number to it and then run it off of the Panasonic set. 

VoIP is great and the possibilities with it are endless. It is dependent on a internet connection but depending on the VoIP provider you have you can forward your calls to a cell phone in the event of a power outage. This works just fine for one of my friends and in the end he would never switch to a cell solution.

If you want you can spend some money on a UPS to power your ATA adapter during a power outage. You can even buy some cheap data plan and use it as a fail-over internet connection in a LTE router to only power your VOIP device.

In the end VoIP is cheaper and more reliable than a Link2Cell Bluetooth system because Bluetooth can cause problems, and talking over the Internet vs the Cell network is way cheaper.

Also why don't you consider a ZTE adapter. You insert the PM SIM and connect your existing handsets to the ZTE base with a phone cord. The base has a battery built into it so it can last during a power outage.

Yes I have similar to pic but has no corded phone and 5 cordless hand sets. While older wireless sets did not work in a power outage.....this one does....it uses the power from a handset  but only if it is in the base station. 

I looked at ZTE adapter and only find a charger and cable. I will look harder. But I did find a Panasonic Phone set that takes a SIM card but is in India which makes sense. I did find other options from Telus I believe for a SIM based home phone but did not like, but have forgotten why.....then I went with VoIP.ms. 

I was just thinking with the rewards at PM and a phone for in the house only to run off a link2cell or some other SIM based phone. It could be cheaper than VoIP.ms.

BearFBI

@LurganIeUk wrote:

In regards to positioning, did you first look for best reception in your home for the cell phone to best determine the position the MAIN Panasonic hand set?

For blocking numbers do you use the Panasonic options or the cell phone options?

Does your Panasonic work in a power outage by having a charged hand set in the MAIN device?

Positioning was not an issue. Cell coverage is not a major problem as my whole house gets adequate cell coverage while walking around with my phone. Bluetooth range was not an issue for me either. 

I do not have a landline or Voip phone connected to it at the moment but when i previously had a Bell landline and bought these handsets it seemed to work perfectly together. When making a call you had the option to dial out with the landline or one of the linked cells. 

For blocking numbers ive used the Panasonic options on the handset and it works just fine but i usually block the numbers on my cell phone as that is the phone that I use daily while not at home. 

Voicemails get stored on the Cell Phone but you can configure your voicemail number onto the base so when you click the VM button it can call your PM voicemail.

The Panasonic Set does work during a power outage. There are replaceable batteries in the base that will allow it to stay powered on. But my model may be different than the one you are looking at.

Sorry the proper name for the MAIN set escapes me. I am meaning the much larger hand set holder  that accepts a Telco hard wire and holds the VMs. 

KX-TG9542B_ALT01.jpg

Is it this one ?. I have the same one but without the wireless handset base. Instead the base has a corded phone attached to it.

I have Voip right now and really like some of the options that it has but I could actually have a more secure home phone by using Link2Cell as I would not be dependent on having the internet. I was thinking of a PM account only and port our landline number to it and then run it off of the Panasonic set. 

VoIP is great and the possibilities with it are endless. It is dependent on a internet connection but depending on the VoIP provider you have you can forward your calls to a cell phone in the event of a power outage. This works just fine for one of my friends and in the end he would never switch to a cell solution.

If you want you can spend some money on a UPS to power your ATA adapter during a power outage. You can even buy some cheap data plan and use it as a fail-over internet connection in a LTE router to only power your VOIP device.

In the end VoIP is cheaper and more reliable than a Link2Cell Bluetooth system because Bluetooth can cause problems, and talking over the Internet vs the Cell network is way cheaper.

Also why don't you consider a ZTE adapter. You insert the PM SIM and connect your existing handsets to the ZTE base with a phone cord. The base has a battery built into it so it can last during a power outage.

BearFBI

fdrcamb519

@LurganIeUk 

I have a Panasonic link2cell, had it at work, used it when was with freedom but stopped using it because did not like voice quality 

Maryjoe
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Yes .It will definitely work with Panasonic Link2 cell.I have the same one bought from costco.It works with my public phone.

Hope it helps your question.

popping

@LurganIeUk wrote:

Has any one tried a product like this with their Public Mobile cell phone?. A home phone handset(s) that allows to/from calls while connected to your cell phone by blue tooth. 

I am using a Jabra CRUSIER2 in-car bluetooth speakerphone to do hand free calling(mostly answer incoming calls) while I am driving.

For the Panasonic Link2Cell, when you come in to your house, your cellphone with connect to your Panasonic phone with Bluetooth.  Any income calls coming in will ring your cellphone as well as your Bluetooth connected home phone.  Since the call is linked to your cellphone, the call minutes will be billed to your cellphone plan, not to your home phone plan.

Need Help? Let's chat.