cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PM with apple watch 3 LTE?

parousia52
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Is it possible PM service can support apple watch 3 LTE service? I can't find any solution on that. 

19 REPLIES 19

I notice that dead SIM cards are bought/sold in bulk (batches measured by weight in kg or even tons) on eBay.  Specifically for the purpose of reclaiming the gold.  For buyers who have access to industrial baths filled with molecular acids and cyanide reagents, lol.

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Korth I'm pretty sure that downside is exactly what @stonechucker was reminiscing about!

As long as the carriers open up the ability to enter in eSIM numbers during activation or via self-serve for existing clients, it can be "somewhere in the middle" in terms of convenience, while still being a big step forward for the environment (how many of those SIM cards are produced, shipped, used, and then thrown in the trash, and what kind of carbon footprint does that create? I'm guessing a significant amount.) and continued hardware miniaturization (no more need for removable tray and phsyical SIM card).  

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

@stonechucker wrote:

Remember when you didn't have to put a SIM card into your phone?  It was all done via manual entry at the store.

Remember the downside, too.  The end-user didn't have the option of quickly swapping phone service to another phone, or swapping phone services on the same phone.  Always had to go back to the wireless store/kiosk, wait in line, and deal with reps (which can be a real hit-or-miss experience which varies from store to store).  And always had to pay some sort of "reactivation fee" or "service fee" or other surcharge (as opposed to the one-time cost of a SIM card).

I much prefer the flexibility of user-swappable SIM cards.  Hate being locked in to anything, even if it's just "soft lock" into reporting/paying for service which I could otherwise do myself.

srlawren

@stonechucker essentially yes, this would be like the old CDMA days when we didn't use SIM cards.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

To me, it sounds like backward movement on BYOD options.

Remember when you didn't have to put a SIM card into your phone?  It was all done via manual entry at the store.

What's old is new again!

@srlawren wrote:

... the Apple Watch 3 LTE does not have a SIM card slot in which anyone could put their PM sim to test it.  Instead, the watch uses an "eSIM", which is built into the device.  That's the crux of the issue, that PM does not yet support eSIMs.

Good catch @srlawren!

Apple says "... introducing a built-in eSIM that is over one-hundredth the size of a traditional SIM card, making over-the-air activation possible without compromising space."

"eSIM" means "embedded SIM" ... it still has all the functions (circuitry) of a SIM card but it's built-in, integrated, permanent.  The GSMA is trying to promote eSIM with emphasis on end-user advantages:

"The information on it will be compliant or rewritable by all operators, meaning a user can decide to change operator with a simple phone call. A new SIM will not be required, nor should there be any time delay in switching the eSIM to its new purpose. There will also be no physical swapping over required by the user."

Although the real appeal is to device manufacturers.  It's reduced to a tiny bit of silicon, it doesn't even have to be a discrete part on the mainboard if it's integrated within a larger SoC.  Don't need the physical bulk of a SIM card, or the slot/tray which holds it, or any of the electrical interface components.

And full, exclusive control over SIM cards has great appeal to device operators.  For obvious reasons.  In practice, eSIMs can effectively be used as the new way to "carrier lock" devices - I doubt that switching carriers will only require "a simple phone call", at least not before some CRTC-mandated regulations are written to explicitly require it.

@makkahn28 wrote:

Hi. Luddite, The Signature in my Profile settings is not showing, no option for me to do so.

Shame

OK, sorry. Robot Sad

So you'd be stuck creating a macro to easily enter a phrase at the bottom of your posts.

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

srlawren

@horemansus wrote:

Would someone slip their PM sim card into one of these and put us out of our misery (or doubts, apprehension, or anxiety attacks)

@horemansus I'm 99.9% sure that the Apple Watch 3 LTE does not have a SIM card slot in which anyone could put their PM sim to test it.  Instead, the watch uses an "eSIM", which is built into the device.  That's the crux of the issue, that PM does not yet support eSIMs.  \

More info:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gSWZCKue5no

Hi. @Luddite, The Signature in my Profile settings is not showing, no option for me to do so.

Shame

"Just curious, how did you put that I am Not a Moderator thing? I thought PM Clients, EXCEPT Oracles, couldn't do that?"

@makkahn28 Click your avatar in the upper right >> My Settings >> Personal enter a Signature. It will appear in every post you have made. Robot LOL

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

horemansus
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Would someone slip their PM sim card into one of these and put us out of our misery (or doubts, apprehension, or anxiety attacks)

torontokris
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@Korth wrote:

You can configure the APN settings on an Apple Watch, enable/disable Cellular Data, etc, all the usual smartphone options.  It seems to basically be a wimpy tiny-screen tiny-battery iPhone in a wearable form factor.  And Apple Watch Series 3 (Model A1860 or A1861) is supported by Telus.

I don't see any particular reason why an Apple Watch wouldn't work with Public Mobile, assuming it's not carrier-locked.

Even if locked to Telus wouldn't it be able to run on PM

Website mentions "Pre–paid accounts and some older accounts aren’t currently supported."

torontokris
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

I also it works on bell & telus but not in SK... Weird.

You can configure the APN settings on an Apple Watch, enable/disable Cellular Data, etc, all the usual smartphone options.  It seems to basically be a wimpy tiny-screen tiny-battery iPhone in a wearable form factor.  And Apple Watch Series 3 (Model A1860 or A1861) is supported by Telus.

I don't see any particular reason why an Apple Watch wouldn't work with Public Mobile, assuming it's not carrier-locked.

parousia52

I appreciate information you suggested. In short, only Telus and Bell are providing LTE option for apple watch 3 for now. Sigh~

@sdt1 wrote:

@parousia52 wrote:

Is it possible PM service can support apple watch 3 LTE service? I can't find any solution on that. 

Hello @parousia52! I found the following fine print on the apple website, which would suggest that PM (being a prepaid carrier) would not be able to support the Apple Watch 3:

1. Wireless service plan required for cellular service. Apple Watch and iPhone service provider must be the same. Not available with all service providers. Not all service providers support enterprise accounts; check with your employer and service provider. Some legacy plans may not be compatible. Prepaid plans are not supported. Coverage dependent on carrier network. Roaming is not available outside your carrier network coverage area. Contact your service provider for more details. Check www.apple.com/ca/watch/cellular for participating wireless carriers and eligibility.

I am not a Moderator. Please do not send me private messages with your personal information.

New Here? - Check out Knowledge Base Articles to learn more about Public Mobile.

@sdt1Just curious, how did you put that I am Not a Moderator thing? I thought PM Clients, EXCEPT Oracles, couldn't do that?

sdt1

@parousia52 wrote:

Hello @parousia52! I found the following fine print on the apple website, which would suggest that PM (being a prepaid carrier) would not be able to support the Apple Watch 3:

1. Wireless service plan required for cellular service. Apple Watch and iPhone service provider must be the same. Not available with all service providers. Not all service providers support enterprise accounts; check with your employer and service provider. Some legacy plans may not be compatible. Prepaid plans are not supported. Coverage dependent on carrier network. Roaming is not available outside your carrier network coverage area. Contact your service provider for more details. Check www.apple.com/ca/watch/cellular for participating wireless carriers and eligibility.

I am not a Moderator. Please do not send me private messages with your personal information.

New Here? - Check out Knowledge Base Articles to learn more about Public Mobile.

PERSONALLY, PM should eventually consider these.

IF Prepaids out there have these privileges, PM shouldn't Limit itself, That would be a FOOLISH and Unfathomable mistake

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

Public Mobile is down low in the food chain.  Leading edge stuff like this filters down to this level really slow.  I suggest looking elsewhere.  Certainly do not hold your breathe waiting for it to happen here.

Need Help? Let's chat.