cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PM is shutting down.

DvAbCanEh
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

I was in Walmart today Mar 24 2023 and a family member said that a Walmart clerk in the electronics department told her that PM would be shut down by Sept and customers would need to find other providers. All she wanted was a new charging part when the clerk asked who she was with and when she said PM he came out with this statement.

Not good adverts for PM if it's UNTRUE

In checking, I see these rumors have circulated for a number of years.

Anyone know what's going on?

15 REPLIES 15

fillion01

Walmart doesn't hold PM SIM card's, so someone decided that it would be ok to lie in the hopes of selling a cellular plan to an unsuspecting customer... 🤦‍♂️

chipmunk

According to my local TMS Public Mobile doesn't exist anymore. We are all in Zombie land here! 👻

DvAbCanEh

I am going back to that Walmart location and casually ask for a PM, SIM cards and see if the clerk will give me the same. I hope I catch the right clerk because there is usually two on staff and I don't know which one my family member  talked to. 

DDM69
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

I heard all Walmart employees will have their wages cut by half in April and will not be allowed to quit for 5 years 😂

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

HI @DvAbCanEh   I bet the sales is trying to sell you another service provider

and something to show PM is not going away yet, they just spent time and money to enable VoLTE.  If PM is going away so fast (Sept), they would not wasted money and time

Yummy
Mayor / Maire

Just because walmart is not selling PM SIM they try to persuade you to switch to other provider.

Photo and mobile departments are (I believe - photo 100%, mobile?) are run by 3rd party - just renting space from walmart.

As for info they provide - a guy told told me they would have passport photos deal as of Mar 20 and nothing doing.

So do not trust them a lot...

HALIMACS
Mayor / Maire

It's quite ridiculous actually @DvAbCanEh 

If I didn't know any better, I'd say the Walmart mobile shops have a real hate on for Public Mobile.  They have (more than once) given me inaccurate information about Public Mobile, almost in a dire kind of warning sort of fashion.

I mean, don't get me wrong, this place certainly isn't for everyone.   For those non-technically inclined folks who prefer others to 'fix' their problems, just go elsewhere - this place isn't for you.

However for the over 1/2 dozen services I've helped activate, they've had ZERO problems within the past several years.

How many times can subscribers of the 'Big 3' say that?

NDesai
Oracle
Oracle

I have heard that one before 😂 I wish someone with that info talk to me one day.

XionBunny

Lol that one made me laugh 🤣

DennyCrane
Mayor / Maire

Walmart is as good of a source as McDonalds would be on this topic.

BKNS27
Mayor / Maire

@DvAbCanEh 

It's like saying Lucky and Chatr are shutting down too. I doubt it since PM are not allowing retailers to activate SIMs for customers as a result 0 commission for the salesperson.

XionBunny

People do love gossip and misinformation especially when they are angry at a specific company or person, this is the case with these kinds of rumours usually.

maximum_gato
Mayor / Maire

@DvAbCanEh 

Walmart has never been a trustworthy source of information in regards to public mobile. They are sales and commission motivated.

However since each mobile department is independently contracted out the availability of pm vouchers is YMMV. Call ahead to your local Walmart to see if they still sell pm vouchers.

@DvAbCanEh wrote:

I was in Walmart today Mar 24 2023 and a family member said that a Walmart clerk in the electronics department told her that PM would be shut down by Sept and customers would need to find other providers. All she wanted was a new charging part when the clerk asked who she was with and when she said PM he came out with this statement.

Not good adverts for PM if it's UNTRUE

In checking, I see these rumors have circulated for a number of years.

Anyone know what's going on?

There has been no such statement.  When it comes to the earlier mention of Walmart having no involement with Public Mobile, that's been the case since July 2022. Public Mobile would not be saying anything to the people who run the mobile department in Walmart stores. In short, you were given bad information (whether unintentionally or intentionally made up).  This was a sale attempt.

dust2dust
Mayor / Maire

Walmart has no skin in this company anymore. They don't sell sims. They don't sell vouchers. In store activations are no more. So it's not about adverts. These rumours have been going on for as long as I've been here. No one but an insider would know any particular date anyway if it was true.

Adding - But it would be easy to imagine when every day it seems like something else goes wrong as though they're intentionally driving it into the ground.

Need Help? Let's chat.