cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ottawa Storm

komiljon
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Because of the storm that happened in Ottawa, other service providers like Rogers are offering 5 GB of free data to the impacted clients. Will Public Mobile do the same thing? 

Thank you,

KJ

22 REPLIES 22

coryl

Trust me, I've been switching back and forth. There are still tens of thousands without power and internet using cellular networks. I've just been hotspotting from my Freedom Mobile room mates since their data plans are much better.

But yes Public Mobile is a no frills company. It was worth a shot to ask if any of us are on their minds as we spend another day with no power and "2 to 3 days" timeline from hydro.

Heading into night 4 of no power. See you all on the other side.

@ZuckMark wrote:

If you have no power, why you need data?

There can be many reasons,e ven during a power failture, for someone to want or even need data.  This includes being able to check for updates from authorities, being able to check on family, to be able to research phone numbers to arrange for repairs or to contact insurance companies, etc.

ZuckMark
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

If you have no power, why you need data?

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@coryl 

Try switching to 3g to improve your internet speed....you can renew early or upgrade your plan to receive more data for a cheaper price (ie. $40/5gb to $50/10.5gb is only a $10 difference) unless you have a promo associated with your plan.

There are disasters that affect service to customers at various times of the year....its not that we don't have compassion it's just how do you pick and choose and where does it stop? No one is the fairest policy unfortunately.

To contact customer support : Submit a support ticket via SIMon the chat bot Click here 

Or if you cannot submit a ticket via SIMon then Click here   ....for additional member supplied info.

ShawnC13
Oracle
Oracle

@coryl, while I totally feel for yoru situation I don't think Public Mobile/Telus will do anything.  I don't recall them doing anything for the victims of the Forest Fires that destroyed entire towns in the summer or the flooding in the fall here in BC

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

coryl

We aren't talking about data availability. We're asking if Public Mobile will consider providing data to people in the Ottawa area due to storm knocking out power for 150,000+ people. Your posts read like spam when you don't address the topic clearly.

coryl

As an Ottawan, I would appreciate Public Mobile offering something. I don't think people outside Ottawa truly understand what happened here because of the storm. I'm on the 3rd night without power. Hydro One steel transmission lines were crumpled.

Public Mobile gave out one time freebies for data for no reason, like 2GB around Christmas. I've been rationing my data as much as possible and haven't been able to work (remote, online-only worker) because I don't have internet and neither does half the city.

I would love even an extra 2GB to get through the next few days because they're saying it's still going to take 2 to 4 days to restore power. Just bought another gigabyte of data. I'm not sure how many people in Ottawa use Public Mobile.

There's also the fact that LTE right now is absolutely crawling because of how many people are on it in Ottawa.

CountyDownIeUk
Mayor / Maire

Would that be, because you have Rogers Mobility and Rogers internet? PM does not offer Internet so they have no short comings to have to offer free Data. 

ZuckMark
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

They are offering with POSTPAID/MONTHLY/CONTRACT customers. you're just a simple basic Prepaid, the lowest service level!

KatiaP

@komiljon wrote:

Because of the storm that happened in Ottawa, other service providers like Rogers are offering 5 GB of free data to the impacted clients. Will Public Mobile do the same thing? 

Thank you,

KJ

That definitely would be appreciated. Home internet is down everywhere and we've consumed our monthly plan in 2 days. 😞

komiljon

Thank you!

komiljon

Thank you, will do

JL9
Mayor / Maire

I wouldn't hold my breath as it is a tier 3 no frills provider, with that said you never know. You could ask a CSA to see if there is something like this being considered 

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@komiljon 

It's very unlikely as prepaid isn't set up as the same as post paid accounts.

To contact customer support : Submit a support ticket via SIMon the chat bot Click here 

Or if you cannot submit a ticket via SIMon then Click here   ....for additional member supplied info.

@komiljon wrote:

Hi @softech,

I'm not talking about 5G network. I'm saying other service providers are giving free extra 5 gigabytes of data to the customers affected by the storm that happened in Ottawa this Saturday. Will Public Mobile also do the same? 

Thanks,

@komiljon I think the important thing is to get the service working, If your service is not working on LTE, try to change to 3G to see if it works

komiljon

Hi @softech,

I'm not talking about 5G network. I'm saying other service providers are giving free extra 5 gigabytes of data to the customers affected by the storm that happened in Ottawa this Saturday. Will Public Mobile also do the same? 

Thanks,

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@komiljon 

Public Mobile itself does not have 5G setup , so, it won't happen 

Look like some were able to use 3G , have you try to change your Preferred network to 3G Only/WCDMA Only and see if it works?

Need Help? Let's chat.