Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

On 3G and communicate with 5G

CountyDownIeUk
Mayor / Maire

This is NOT about the USA add on. 

While PM is on 3G

And some Canadian customers are on 5G. 

And any other country that has gone totally 5G. 

Can calls and texts both ways work for PM customers? 

12 REPLIES 12

@CountyDownIeUk wrote:

So we are on LTE throttled back to 3G. Got it. 

There must be a cost to throttle. Is that cost beneficial enough to PM to NOT just give us LTE?.  

i don't think there is a much a cost to throttled.  Cell site hardware are usually rated with 3000mbps, this is a common value and hardware are built with that.  So, to throttled PM for 3Mpbs, they just allocate a single share to each subscriber

Why don't they just give us LTE?  I think Telus (as well as Bell and Rogers) are keeping Tier 3 providers here because of CRTC requirements.  They don't want to operate 3 different brands either.  With the price so competitive these days, they need to find ways to clearly differentiate the 3 brands.  Also, PM is surely not making great money, so, they need to make sure PM has enough subscriber to survive itself but not too many.  Not too many to threaten Koodo or Telus.    That is clearly why the expensive plans ($50 , $60, $70) are getting lots of data but still 3G speed.   

Anonymous
Not applicable

@CountyDownIeUk : I think softech has it. The device is the last part of the chain. It connects to a tower however which way. After that it goes through several other parts either wirelessly or wired to be on the worldwide telephone system. Then it makes it's way to find the other end and that last part of the chain goes to the device.

Indeed, how could someone on an old GSM or old CDMA somewhere in the world find it's way to the end users device.

sheytoon could likely describe all the hops it takes once it hits a tower.

@BeachNBeer 

Thanks.......if PM improves then so does Koodo. Got it. 

darkomega
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@CountyDownIeUk wrote:

@darkomega 

Thanks for the explanation, once again.   Since I am happy with voice, text and data......and I would have no idea on how to acknowledge the difference! 

No problem, I'm happy to help.

BeachNBeer
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@CountyDownIeUk  Telus owns Koodo (2nd Tier) and Public Mobile (3rd Tier). If Public Mobile offered all the bells and whistles of their other providers then more people would come here for the cheaper prices. Some old grandfathered accounts have full LTE the rest of us are throttled to 3g speeds. Those who want faster internet can move up to Koodo at a higher price..

It's like buying a car. Trim levels. Cheaper base price , medium range features or the fully loaded package 😂

@darkomega 

Thanks for the explanation, once again.   Since I am happy with voice, text and data......and I would have no idea on how to acknowledge the difference! 

darkomega

Nope, it's an arbitrary restriction really, they want people to go up the value change so they make more money should the customer want more.

@softech 

@darkomega 

@hairbag1 

@computergeek541 

It's sure nice to have your technical expertise to share with others. 

Thank you. 

So we are on LTE throttled back to 3G. Got it. 

There must be a cost to throttle. Is that cost beneficial enough to PM to NOT just give us LTE?. In other words is there a savings for PM or is just a punitive type of  service or is it  comparative statement for the competition? 

softech
Oracle
Oracle

Yes , it will work. 

no worry, we have gone through this before.  people on 2G can communicate with 4G without issue when 4G was introduced.

I guess the biggest unknown is when will PM have VoLTE as 3G will certainly shutdown one day. 

darkomega

@CountyDownIeUk wrote:

While PM is on 3G

We all are technically on LTE, just not for voice calls, everything else travels over the standard LTE network, in any case, it wouldn't matter texts and calls would be received as normal by someone on a 5G network. 

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

@CountyDownIeUk wrote:

While PM is on 3G

PM is actually LTE...but throttled to around 3G speeds.

@CountyDownIeUk wrote:

While PM is on 3G

Public Mobile doesn't only use a 3g/HSPA network.  That's only the case for voice calls.  Both data and text messaging use both he HSPA and LTE networks.  The type of network that the other person that you're communicating with is using doesn't affect the Public Mobile customer's service.

Need Help? Let's chat.