cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Odd SMS from Public Mobile for Koodo BlackFriday Deal

ccwhUo56E9RUreg
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I was interested in the Samsung Galaxy S20 FE at $0 upfront with the Tab, but does that mean I need to switch to Koodo? Why is Public Mobile sending these texts?

If I understand, the phone is $600 with a $530 off (from the text), then I will pay the $70 and keep my Public Mobile account? Or is this false advertising and a way to trick you into switching to Kodoo / getting a phone on a phone plan.... ?

Public Mobile here. Need a new phone? Our friends at Koodo have awesome Black Friday deals right now like $530 off the Samsung Galaxy S20 FE at $0 upfront with the Tab. Skip the connection fee and get $120* in bill credits since you're with Public Mobile. Use promo code P2KBLACKFRI + validation code at choosehappy.koodomobile.com/brightfriday. *Eligible on plans above $40. Credits applied as $10 off for 12 mo. Offer not stackable with other promotions like bonus data. Reply 'unsubscribe' to opt out of Public Mobile offers and deals.

11 REPLIES 11

Yes for certain. I’m a reducer and then a recycler at heart and it applies to my phones too!

AE_Collector 

People do switch carriers to get a "deal" on phones. However, it pays to be very cautious as I have yet to see an offer that is less than PM's pricing plus outright purchase of a phone. Well,  perhaps there was one on Zoomer about 6 months ago. 

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

@ccwhUo56E9RUreg wrote:

Thanks, that's good to know..  So it isn't a deal and just false advertising.  lol

Depends on your definition of “a deal”. And I wouldn’t say there is any false advertising involved. Telus owns Koodo and PM and makes switch up deals from time to time. There are people who cant live with 3G like speeds any longer or who 8.5 Gb (largest regular PM data plan) is no longer sufficient and of course some people want a new phone financed through their plan which PM didn’t do until very recently so Telus and Koodo may make special switch over plans to PM customers. A customer posting on here a couple of weeks ago ported out to Rogers just to get a new phone included in their plan.  Telus tries to avoid losing customers to the competition with offers like these.

AE_Collector

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

I got offer to switch to Telus for the last few months.

@ccwhUo56E9RUreg  That's what Koodo is calling Black Friday.

Screenshot_20201121_125544.jpg

ccwhUo56E9RUreg

Guess that's why it was called BrightFriday deal? 

@ccwhUo56E9RUreg  You're welcome. It's a legitimate deal. Not a great deal but it's valid one.

Telus owns Koodo and Public Mobile.

ccwhUo56E9RUreg

Thanks, that's good to know..  So it isn't a deal and just false advertising.  lol

ccwhUo56E9RUreg

Here is what Koodo says for the phone deal on their site.  Completely diffrent from the text I received...

https://www.koodomobile.com/phones/samsung-galaxy-s20-fe-5g

Tab Plus

-You'll pay $0 for your phone and put the rest ($600.00) on your Tab

-Pay a $25.00 monthly Tab charge for 24 months, and then you'll only pay your monthly plan charge

-Plans start from $45/month

-Includes $530.00 in Tab Bonus

benfatto
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@ccwhUo56E9RUreg  Odd, but not unusual, for Telus to provide special offers for PM customers to move to Koodo. First of such special deals first made couple of years ago. 

Jb456
Mayor / Maire

This is an offer to migrate to Koodo. Who Telus also owns.

That means you leave Public Mobile and you're with Koodo and pay Koodo their prices. You'll also have to do a credit check. If you take them up on the offer.

They always try to migrate people to Koodo or Telus.

Need Help? Let's chat.