cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Number used for scam calls?

Kana
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hi! I just received a call from NoCallerID saying that my number was used in a scam asking for money. How do I check if my phone number has been stolen? Or used for malicious activity? 

I would really appreciate the help! Thank you! 

6 REPLIES 6

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@Kana this is Caller ID spoofing. Scammer use system to fake the caller id to fool people to think a real person is calling and not those annoying sale calls. The one receive that call see your number and not aware of caller id spoofing and hence call you back and ask

More infor Caller id spoofing

https://crtc.gc.ca/eng/phone/telemarketing/identit.htm

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caller_ID_spoofing

Sure she's a live person. She's calling the number back saying don't bother us. It just happened to be your number this time. Like I say, I don't know why people would bother.

Kana

Normally I would hear a recording as well, but she sounded like a live person which was so strange. Anyway, thanks for confirming that it's probably a scam! I'll keep a close eye on my other personal accounts just in case. 

Thank you @dust2dust !

There's really nothing you can do. So I wouldn't worry about it. If I ever got these kinds of calls I wouldn't bother to call back. I don't know why people bother. What are they going to do? Threaten you? Unless you have exposed your number along with your name and address somewhere like FB then no one will find you. So people that call these junk calls back are really just wasting their time. The only junk calls I seem to get are recordings. I rarely get a human.

Kana

This is what they said
"Hi, I just got a call from your number (says my full phone number) and you tried to ask me for money. Please do not call as this is a hospital and we are very busy."

and I said, "Sorry this is a hospital number?"

Then she hung up on me. 

I did not call back as I thought I would be scammed. But they already have my full phone number? 

*edit: yes my phone still rings when I call it from a different phone 

dust2dust
Mayor / Maire

It's called spoofing. A criminal copies your number to be their outgoing number and then tries to scam people. What did you tell this caller though?

Call your number from another phone, does it ring through. Call that phone from your phone, is it your number at their end.

Need Help? Let's chat.