cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Not connecting to mobile network in the US

Irene5
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I cannot connect to any network in the US, so I can't roam. I've taken the sim card out, reset mobile networks, but nothing works. I'm in contact with some members, but I have had this problem for 5 days now and I'm not getting any answers. 

Any solutions?

Does anybody have contact info from a tech person I can talk to?

Thanks, Irene

58 REPLIES 58

Irene5

I got the $20 add on (talk/text + 250 data)

Where do I check the data limit?

Irene5

Network = LTE/WCDMA/GSM (auto connect)

Yes, slider for roaming is on.

And your third point: that's where I have the trouble: it doesn't want to select to any network. It either says: the sim card doesn't allow connections on this network, or: Connection not available, please try later.

I took out my sim card again, blew with a pump into the slot, cleaned the sim card.

And still it doesn't want to connect to any network. 

Irene5

Ah! I found it! And yes, the number is the same

@Yummy wrote:

@esjliv wrote:

In the meantime, try removing your SIM card and gently cleaning the contact points on it. Also, gently blow inside the SIM slot. .

Blowing into SIM port will introduce some moisture. Electronics do not like to be wet.

If you have can with compressed air, that will be way better. Even bicycle tire pump will be better...

I assure you, it can be done @Yummy   

Try not to have a mouth full of liquid when you do.

🙂

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

HI@Irene5  Which roaming add-on did you get?  Data only or with Text and Talk?

Check if you have Data Limit set and if the limit is reached and your phone has stopped the data on the phone level

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Irene5 : It's not exactly likely but it's good to check.

I would still prefer for you to list all the items you see after clicking Plan Details on that overview page.

For the phone:

Pull down the top menu, tap the gear icon on the right, tap Connections, tap Mobile networks:

1. What does Network mode say? Does it start with LTE or is it 2G only?

2. Is the data roaming slider on?

3. Go into Network operators and tap Select automatically anyway if it's on and it will start looking for networks. Choose either T-Mobile or AT&T. You'll then see how many bars you get with either and you can decide that one is better than the other where you're at.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Irene5 : No. My Account top right. Your self-serve account. You land on what's called the Overview page.

Irene5

You mean the setting page? I do not know what you mean with overview page.

@Irene5 wrote:

I have no other phone, I would have to try a phone from a stranger. I will try and find one.

HI @Irene5 ,   Maybe go to a T-Mobile or AT&T store and hope they have nice sales person and willing to help. 

Irene5

I have no other phone, I would have to try a phone from a stranger. I will try and find one.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Irene5 : On the overview page to the lower right middle there are some shortcuts to many functions.

Irene5

Samsung Galaxy A32

Where do I find the change sim function?

Irene5

No....

@esjliv wrote:

In the meantime, try removing your SIM card and gently cleaning the contact points on it. Also, gently blow inside the SIM slot. .

Blowing into SIM port will introduce some moisture. Electronics do not like to be wet.

If you have can with compressed air, that will be way better. Even bicycle tire pump will be better...

@Irene5  - this is unfortunate. Keep on what ever ticket you have open with the customer Support Team to trouble shoot, if this was something they reset on their end.

In the meantime, try removing your SIM card and gently cleaning the contact points on it. Also, gently blow inside the SIM slot. Something could have cause a poor connection inside your device at one point.

After reinserting, restart your phone.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Irene5 : Can you try the SIM in another phone. Can you try another SIM in this phone. Things happen. Before we can lay blame we want to nail down exactly where the problem is. And try to answer some of the other questions posed for us to help you.

Irene5

I haven't had a problem connecting to a mobile network in the US before this all started (I've been here some weeks). Somebody in PM did something to my sim card. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Irene5 : What make/model is the phone?

Can you go in to the Change SIM function and compare the last 4 digits shown there to the numbers on the actual card. Don't complete or fill in anything...just check.

@Irene5 wrote:

Mind you, I had roaming before here. So, somebody did something to my sim card in PM.

Or US networks in that area changed something.

Do you have anybody close by with the US roaming to verify if it works at all?

Irene5

Agents are constantly refreshing my account, renewing my US roaming. That is not at all the problem. My plan seems active and everything looks normal. But it doesn't solve the problem of me not being able to connect to a mobile network here. It keeps saying: your sim card does not allow a connection on this network. Or, unable to connect, try later (and it has done so for the last 5 days). Mind you, I had roaming before here. So, somebody did something to my sim card in PM.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Irene5 : Can you post screenshots of the left side of your overview page. Also click on Plan Details and post a screenshot of the relevant area of that?

Sometimes autopay fails. If your account is suspended then you can't use anything.

Irene5

I know I can buy anything here in the US. That is not the point. The problem is, I need my home phone for work and my financials, desperately. Customer service was good for 2 times, but now it's completely gone. Somebody suspended my account (I don't know who and why, since I'm on autopay already for years). Since then it's not functioning anymore. I'm extremely disappointed that tech service is not available. Why was it promised to me for 5 days?  Not a happy camper.

@Irene5 wrote:

I did all of the above. I have been in contact with 4 different agents for the last 5 days. They said they had sent a ticket (twice) to a tech person, but all I hear back is that they're sorry I have this problem. Apparently, nobody can fix this. I need a tech person.

Let me be clear: I cannot connect at all (manually, automatically) to a mobile network. And yes, I have roaming on. I used roaming the 10 days before this happened.

HI @Irene5   Since you have PM Support looking into it already, I think you have to wait for them.

Since you used that before and cannot buy another set of 10days, look like it is a problem there.  PM Roaming is a bit trouble when you buy the roaming a 2nd time

how long you will still be in US?  It is cheaper to use local data prepaid SIM.  Maybe you should go with that if still have 10+ days in the USA .  Cheaper and more data.  For voice call, you can use VoIP app like TextNow for free calling within US and Canada 

0PX9O4
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@Irene5 

PM does not provide any support over the phone or email. And unfortunately its not exactly known for its good customer service either.

I really do feel your pain, if you're continuing to have issues despite repeated contact with PM agents, you may wish to buy a roaming SIM for use while you're in the US, or simply buy a prepaid SIM locally within the US.

Sorry I don't have a better option for you.

Irene5

I did all of the above. I have been in contact with 4 different agents for the last 5 days. They said they had sent a ticket (twice) to a tech person, but all I hear back is that they're sorry I have this problem. Apparently, nobody can fix this. I need a tech person.

Let me be clear: I cannot connect at all (manually, automatically) to a mobile network. And yes, I have roaming on. I used roaming the 10 days before this happened.

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

HI @Irene5   Which roaming plan did you got?  Talk, Text , Data or combo?

did you enable Roaming Data ?  or Did you manually select  the Network instead of leave it with Automatic?  Try both AT&T and T-Mobile

To contact PM Support

click on the Bubble on the lower right or directly at : https://publicmobile.ca/chatbot.
Follow these these to get to ticket open page quicker:

1. type: Contact CS Agent
  2. Click "Contact Us"
  3. Click "Other"
  4. Click "Click here to submit a ticket"
  5. you will then direct to another page to open ticket.
    After ticket is submitted, make sure to check your Community Inbox(top right corner envelope icon) periodically for response from PM's CS Agent

If you have problems submitting a ticket, you can also send a private message to the moderators (but this can take longer):
https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

Yummy
Mayor / Maire

When you are in US, try to connect to AT&T or T-mobile. One could be better than the other so, if one doesn't work well, try the other one.

0PX9O4
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Hi @Irene5 

Have you tried manually selecting the T-mobile or the AT&T networks?

And have you checked to make sure that you do have a roaming add-on currently active in self serve?

Need Help? Let's chat.