cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Nokia phone not working with new plan

Kel
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hello,

I just signed up for a talk/txt/data(3G) plan. The guy in Walmart set everything up and it looked OK - carrier reads as Public Mobile. But when I try to use it, nothing works! Can't make calls or use internet. It only connects to H network not 3G. 

Apparently my phone should work. It is Nokia 909. I tried changing the APN as suggested elsewhere but it is hard to find any information for this particular phone, so not sure if I have done it exactly right.

Greatly appreciate any help, please!

13 REPLIES 13

@ShawnC13 wrote:

@computergeek541 wrote:

The Nokia 1020 will never be updated to Windows 10, if you are wondering.

Someone is always trying to find ways around limitations lol.

@Kel, any luck sorry I haven't been able to get back to researching this.

To my knowledge, there was a beta version of this floating around but the official reason that was given by Microsoft was that Windows 10 was unstable and had too many problems on the Nokia 1020. As to whether that's the truth, who really knows.  I would imagine that they could have went back to the drawing board and made it work properly, but they decided not to.  This was disappointing because they had previously promised the upgrade.

@computergeek541 wrote:

Someone is always trying to find ways around limitations lol.

@Kel, any luck sorry I haven't been able to get back to researching this.

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

@Kel wrote:

Hello,

I just signed up for a talk/txt/data(3G) plan. The guy in Walmart set everything up and it looked OK - carrier reads as Public Mobile. But when I try to use it, nothing works! Can't make calls or use internet. It only connects to H network not 3G. 

Apparently my phone should work. It is Nokia 909. I tried changing the APN as suggested elsewhere but it is hard to find any information for this particular phone, so not sure if I have done it exactly right.

As touched upon earlier, the "H" network is the 3g network.  As for the APN settings, this likley isn't at the core of your problem. Correct APN settings only enable cellular data usage.  The fact that you can't make phone calls means that there is something else at issue.

Kel

I looked up the phone frequencies and not sure that is the problem for 3G. For model RM 875 which I have, it seems to support the right frequencies. I found this info:

image.png

drmartin
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@Kel wrote:

No, I don't think it is locked. It was unlocked when I bought it originally.

Australia and Canada use different network frequencies for certain providers.

Public Mobile works on following frequencies: 

• For 3G use (UMTS/HSPA): 850MHz/1900MHz bands
  • For 4G/LTE use: 700Mhz/1700MHz/2100MHz bands

You should check if your phone supports these.  I'm pretty sure in Australia they tend to use Asian country frequencies which are not the same.

Kel

Still 8.1

Thanks so much for the user manual. I will have a look through and see if it gives any clues.

Kel

No, I don't think it is locked. It was unlocked when I bought it originally.

@KMG wrote:

Could the phone be locked to your previous carrier from Australia?

That was a good thought and I had the same idea at first but he says the network reads Public Mobile so it accepted the SIM  and is on the network

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

@Kel, I actually have to head out for a bit and might not get back to this for a couple of hours.  I have found the user manual not sure but it may give some suggestions.  Just wondering what is the current version of the OS you have on there.  Are you still 8.1 or did you update to W10M? 

Here is the link  User manual Nokia 1020

KMG
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Could the phone be locked to your previous carrier from Australia?

@Kel, I was a Windows user as well, with a 830,640XL 650 and 950XL but recently switched to Android.  I wish Microsoft hadn't bought Nokia we would still be getting great phones.

I am trying to get in touch with my Windows Phone MVP here in town and he mentioned an old Nokia app but couldn't remember the name.  I will continue to search around and see if I can dig it up.

Yes it was called the 909 during development.  I guess somehow in Nokia the Codename 909 meant 1020 lol.  I am sure we can get this working as it is a beautiful phone

Kel

Thanks for the quick reply!

In response to your queries:

Yes, it uses Windows. I thought it was Nokia 1020 but on the phone it says 909. 

I have recently moved from Australia and used this phone there.

Yes, it has an amazing camera. That's why I bought it! And why I hope I can use it here.

This is a brand new number.

ShawnC13
Oracle
Oracle

@Kel wrote:

Hello,

Ok so what I could find is that the Nokia 909 is actually the 1020 (it was called the 909 during development) so your phone has windows for its os?  As well H and H+ are also ways to say 3G network.  I have looked and can't find it listed for apn settings at the site I usually use but that phone should work.  Have you used the phone recently on another network as I beleive the phone is over 5 yers old now but if this is the 1020 I think it had a beast of a camera at 41.2 megapixels!!

Is this a new number or did you port in an previous number?

Need Help? Let's chat.