cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No SIM after Transferring to Public Mobile

ChrisL15
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I am a newbie to Public Mobile.  I have started the porting process and everything seems to be working well initially.  I said yes to my old provider by text in the iphone.  And in another old phone with the public mobile SIM inserted, I received 2 texts from Public Mobile (one about $2 autopay credit and another about restarting my phone).  I knew my old SIM was still working at one point until it said no service since I called myself from my mother's cell. 

Once I saw no service message from my phone with the old SIM, I decided to switch out the old SIM with the Public Mobile SIM in my iphone and that's when things went wrong.  My iphone now says no SIM.  I tried to go to cellular network in settings to figure out the APN thing and it's blank so I can't turn it on/off.  I put the Public Mobile SIM card back to my old phone and now it also says "insert SIM".  My old phone previously said Telus on the lockscreen and now it says No SIM card - emergency calls only.

I am able to log into My Account and it says amount owing is $13.00 and the payment for next cycle is $15.00.  I'm not sure if that means my card hasn't been charged yet because it's after work hours?  But my transaction history does show a payment of $15. I activated today on a Friday evening at around 8pm or so.

In any case, I did submit a ticket even though I don't have a IMEI and used my account number instead.  I'm hoping that I was able to put a bunch of zeros in place of IMEI and that there's someone out there with a similar experience that could put my mind at ease while I wait for a solution.  I'm very nervous about things going wrong because I rely on the phone for two-factor authentication and it will be a huge headache for me if I messed up the porting.

8 REPLIES 8

Anonymous
Not applicable

@ChrisL15 : Please keep an eye out on your payment method to see if anything odd has appeared related to here. Like Koodo or Public Mobile. But importantly...not additional charges.

ChrisL15

Hi everyone,

Thank you very much for all your help.  I am providing an update so that my post can benefit others.

The suggestion to check Settings > General > About in my iphone was very useful.  It turns out my network was still showing my old provider so my iphone was definitely not recognizing the SIM card.  My other phone that I used to do the activation also shows no network when it previously recognized Telus.  So that phone is also not recognizing the SIM card anymore.

The customer support agent confirmed that my activation was done right and the number was transferred correctly so it was likely that the SIM card became faulty during the swap.  I went to the store to get a new one and the agent was very nice to give me a credit for it.

I put the new SIM card into my phone.  The phone then had "No Service" instead of "No SIM".  I went to my self-serve My Account to change the SIM number, being mindful to do the security verification through email instead of through text.  Then I restarted my iphone and the Public Mobile network was finally recognized.  Made a test call to my phone from my mom's phone and it worked!

I don't use IMEI because the phone that I got initially with my previous provider was not in use for a long time and it seems like IMEI is associated with the phone rather than the provider (sorry I have limited technical knowledge and I might be wrong about my assumptions here).

But I'm glad everything was resolved really quickly! 

By the way, I used the chatbot (SIMon) to submit my ticket prior to writing this post.

ChrisL15

I tried connecting to iTunes.  It did a backup but there's no other change.  Thank you for your suggestion anyway.

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@ChrisL15  I believe your account is fine re payments I believe that is showing your next to payment.

As for your issue, could you have damaged the sim when doing the swap?  Since you received calls text to the pm sim it means activation went well,   my gut says you need a new sim. 

Ps great and informative post you were through and covered all the bases

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@ChrisL15   There has been some issue with SIM provisioning for new accounts.  Since you tried your SIM on 2 different phones, it does look like it is the same issue

Make sure you keep checking the Community inbox, envelope icon on the top right.  PM support will communicate you via there.

FYI, you can get your IMEI number from your iphone via : Settings-> General -> About

In the meantime while you are waiting, you can try to connect your iPhone to a computer, start the iTune and download all the latest update and the Carrier Profile.    Some people got that works after the latest carrier profiles downloaded.

Let us know how it turns out

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@ChrisL15 wrote:

I am a newbie to Public Mobile.  I have started the porting process and everything seems to be working well initially.  I said yes to my old provider by text in the iphone.  And in another old phone with the public mobile SIM inserted, I received 2 texts from Public Mobile (one about $2 autopay credit and another about restarting my phone).  I knew my old SIM was still working at one point until it said no service since I called myself from my mother's cell. 

Once I saw no service message from my phone with the old SIM, I decided to switch out the old SIM with the Public Mobile SIM in my iphone and that's when things went wrong.  My iphone now says no SIM.  I tried to go to cellular network in settings to figure out the APN thing and it's blank so I can't turn it on/off.  I put the Public Mobile SIM card back to my old phone and now it also says "insert SIM".  My old phone previously said Telus on the lockscreen and now it says No SIM card - emergency calls only.

I am able to log into My Account and it says amount owing is $13.00 and the payment for next cycle is $15.00.  I'm not sure if that means my card hasn't been charged yet because it's after work hours?  But my transaction history does show a payment of $15. I activated today on a Friday evening at around 8pm or so.

In any case, I did submit a ticket even though I don't have a IMEI and used my account number instead.  I'm hoping that I was able to put a bunch of zeros in place of IMEI and that there's someone out there with a similar experience that could put my mind at ease while I wait for a solution.  I'm very nervous about things going wrong because I rely on the phone for two-factor authentication and it will be a huge headache for me if I messed up the porting.

@ChrisL15  - it sounds like you are doing every okay. I feel it best to port over with account number rather IMEI, so that should not be a problem.

Try performing a reset network settings on your device with the Public Mobile SIM card in your phone.

Is your phone locked? Contact your previous provider to unlock it for you. You will need your imei number, dial *#06# to get it.

Was your account that you ported over active?

If this is an issue with a stuck port maybe try calling the Telus Porting Phone number. 

I will private message you the number.

cellphoneuser1
Mayor / Maire

@ChrisL15 Try running the Apple phone activation. Run iTunes with phone connected to computer. For the old phone, the sim might be in properly.

Need Help? Let's chat.