cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No 4g speed after update plan

Mountainmaxman
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

I recently upgraded to the 6gb 4G package to start immoderately as of yesterday but I’m still getting the slow reduced speeds. I tried resetting network settings and restarting the phone. No difference. Any ideas?

8 REPLIES 8

@thebigguy86 wrote:

No it doesn't.

Speed changes absolutely can and do sometimes take 48 hours. There have been times when Public Mobile has assigned the wrong speed to some accounts, and this would usually correct itself, but if you're on the 3Mbps-type plan and the speed has been set correctly, switching to a 4g plan does result in a 48 hour delay before the faster speeds are available.  It goes the other way around too.  Customers switching from 4g to 3g will continue to receive the faster speed for 48 hours.  The same is also receive 4g speeds for up to the first 48 hours even if they sign up to a 3g plan.

thebigguy86
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

No it doesn't.

The sorts of people who want or need the higher speed - who are willing to pay the premium to get it - will notice the speed in their normal use. Without any need to run speedtest benchmarks.

90Mbps vs 3Mbps difference is impossible to not notice if you actually download a lot of data. Heavy games, high-quality video streams, large files, whatever.

It's also impossible to not notice your limited mobile data provision getting burned up at an alarming rate.

If people don't notice this difference in their normal data usage then they're obviously paying for something they're not really using. I honestly think it's a waste of money - mobile data is a precious ripoff commodity, it's so much smarter to do your large downloads on lower-cost broadband/optic data then sync it over to your device - but who am I to criticize what so many consumers happily keep on demanding and paying for?

FWIW, cellular networks are generally designed to handle asymmetrical data loads. It's reasonable to expect most people on mobile devices will mostly be downloading a lot of stuff (fetching webpages, images, audio/video streams, etc) and uploading a little stuff (clicking on some links, typing in short search requests, twits and tweets, login info, etc). So I wouldn't be surprised if 70% to 90% of the bandwidth is allocated purely to download. But I would be surprised if upload and download bandwidths were basically equal.

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@Mountainmaxman 

As mentioned I wouldn't speed test your data after 48 hours. You will notice when your data is unthrottled because everything will be snappier....pages loading quickly etc....a speed test at approximately 100mbps will use minimum 187.5mbps each way=375mb. If you really must test then just start the test to see it peak for a second or two then stop the test. That should keep it under 50mb.

jib_tech
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

It takes a couple of days for your data speed to throttle up or down. When it finally throttles up a speed test can use half a gig or more so you prolly don't want to test if you don't need to.

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

HI @Mountainmaxman there is a 48 hours delay for the speed change.  You should have it tomorrow.   Reboot your phone every 12 hours and test

MrSpock
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@Mountainmaxman Hi it takes up to 48 hours for the speed to increase 

benfatto
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Apparently it can take 48 hours to become fully functional. Remember to set your phone's network to LTE/auto. 

Need Help? Let's chat.