cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New iPhone through Public Mobile - No service

Choklit2264
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I received my new (gently used) iPhone from Public Mobility.  I put the sim card in.  I got an email saying the card is now active.  The phone shows No Service in the top left corner.  When I set up the phone it takes me to the sign in for apple id and password.  When entered it I get a message that says ... "Software update required.  Update this iPhone to the latest version of iOS to sign in.  you can do this in Settings once you have finished setting up this iPhone."  It will not allow me to go to settings.  I can't go any further.  HELP.

11 REPLIES 11

Georgie1
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I just upgraded from an iPhone 6 to an iPhone 13 mini. When I entered my Public Mobile SIM in the new phone it didn’t work. I just happened to think of turning it upside down (opposite to my old phone and it worked! 

I would hope purchasing a phone from PM, you would not have to worry about blacklisting... But good observation. I hope PM checks this before moving any phone. I'm sure they do.

CountyDownIeUk
Mayor / Maire

@Choklit2264 

Reboot. 

Then do a full reset. 

OR

Have iTunes on a computer and link phone to computer with a lightning cable and do a reset. 

OR

Have iTunes on a computer and link phone to computer with a lightning cable  and do a software iOS upgrade.

OR

Follow the DFU process <== google it for your iPhone  model. 

DFU....you are probably thinking some rotten stuff what the acronym means...it means.... Device Firm Upgrade

MrSpock
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@Choklit2264 @Oh I didn’t see you ordered it here sorry 

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@Choklit2264  I wonder if a Hard Reset of the device would help. anything to back up first?

Hard Reset:

"Press and quickly release the volume up button, press and quickly release the volume down button, then press and hold the side button. When the Apple logo appears, release the button."

https://www.wikihow.com/Hard-Reset-an-iPhone

If still issues and if others cannot provide other solutions to help, contact CSA.

Public Mobile Representatives customer support agents (CSA) can be contacted by either two methods, found here:

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/on/get-help/articles/contact-an-agent

Choklit2264

Not able to access Settings.  

Choklit2264

Thanks Mr Spock.  The phone was purchased through Public Mobile so am assuming they cleared it.  I'll check though.

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@Choklit2264  -

From Google:

"Open Settings ➔ Screen Time ➔ Contents & Restrictions ➔ Account Changes - Set this to ALLOW."

Does this do anything?

MrSpock
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@Choklit2264 hi check your phone here to see if it’s blacklisted https://www.devicecheck.ca/check-status-device-canada/

Choklit2264

Have done so several times.

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@Choklit2264 - can you try to restart your phone?

Then try to do the software update.

Need Help? Let's chat.