cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New customer with used phone from public mobile

Chris38
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hey

I ordered a galaxy s10 online through public. Mobile. 

It arrived today and I put in the SIM, went online and activated it with a new phone number. I can make calls (shows private number) , can't receive calls and no data. I've added apn settings. There are two other APNs that I can't remove, so I added a new APN with settings based on what public mobile recommends.

Still no data, and can't receive calls.

Its been a couple hours now, I've rebooted a bunch of times.

What am I forgetting?

Thanks in advance. 

26 REPLIES 26

@Chris38 wrote:

After speaking with a PM agent yesterday, he had me put in new apn info but only filled in the name and apn and saved. Service including data resolved.

Not sure why entering apn info as the PM website shows didn't work. 

@Chris38   Thanks for updating your thread and good to hear the issue has been resolved.

Chris38

After speaking with a PM agent yesterday, he had me put in new apn info but only filled in the name and apn and saved. Service including data resolved.

Not sure why entering apn info as the PM website shows didn't work. 

Chris38

My wording was incorrect. I did exactly what you are saying to do. I switched the SIM from within my account 

@Chris38 wrote:

I activated the new Sim from Walmart and still no success. Exact same symptoms.

I'm working with a support agent still. Will update once anything changes 

@Chris38  oh no.. you don't activate a new account with the new SIM.. you should just buy a new SIM without activation, then login My Account and request Change SIM

So, the SIM you bought already has a new account tied to it?  if so, you would have to use another new SIM to request the change SIM

This is what you should have done:

E-MyAcc-ChangeSIM-2FA.png

Chris38

So I drove the 1 hour round trip to my closest Walmart and picked up a new Sim. None of the stores in my local town had Sim cards.

I activated the new Sim from Walmart and still no success. Exact same symptoms.

I'm working with a support agent still. Will update once anything changes 

@Chris38 wrote:

I'm rural.

The phone with Sim arrived in 3 business days. If it takes 2 weeks for a replacement SIM to arrive, I'll cancel and find a provider who knows how to take care of new customers. 

@Chris38      That's impressive delivery time for the phone but yeah totally unacceptable timeline for the replacement SIM.  

Is there not a gas station or drug store (SDM/LD) close enough to purchase a new SIM so that you can get your account activation done first and then message PM to reimburse you for the purchase of the new SIM?  

Chris38

I'm rural.

The phone with Sim arrived in 3 business days. If it takes 2 weeks for a replacement SIM to arrive, I'll cancel and find a provider who knows how to take care of new customers. 

@Chris38 

Best place to get a PM SIM is at Canadian Cell Supplies online or you can drop into any PM retailer like London Drugs, Loblaw’s cell kiosk stands, Walmart (some might not sell just the SIM), etc.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Chris38 : It's much quicker to get one in a store. How far away are you from a store that would have a SIM? Like, how big is the town you're in? Or do you live rural?

Chris38

I've been advised to order another SIM card. I will update once the issue is resolved. 

BKNS27
Mayor / Maire

@Chris38 

I agree with @softech, it sounds like a backend issue. Just wait for a CS Agent to message you once they have completed the fix.

yes, PM should be able to fix it on the backend without issue... come back and give us good news

Chris38

I just tried the PM SIM in my old phone with the exact same symptoms. No data not able to receive calls. 

I've already opened a ticket last night just waiting for response.

Thanks to all that helped 

Great test @Chris38 .. at least we ruled out the device issue.

so, it's down to the SIM.  you tried the SIM on your other "old" phone?  same result?  (or you can  the issue by putting the SIM on another phone, that may trigger some re-provision on the back end) .

if still fail,  open a ticket with PM.  It has been some SIM provision issue in the last week.. PM should be able to resolve it without a new SIM card

To open ticket with PM:

Spoiler

1. For faster response (2-48 hours), Click on the bubble in the lower right to request CS Agent assistance, or use this direct link: https://publicmobile.ca/chatbot.

Start with typing "Submit a ticket", click "Contact Us", click "Other" from the choices, click "Click here to submit a ticket". Then follow to complete the ticket submission.

2. Or you can Send a private message to the CS Agent here: https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

**Monitor your Community inbox, envelope on the top right, after ticket is opened.  CS Agent will reply and work with you  via messaging there

Chris38

I tried another Sim (my old phone service is still active) in the Certified pre-owned phone from PM and it works. So the phone itself is fine.

Must be the SIM or something went wrong during activation.

The phone shows its connected to the Public Mobile network. Just no data. And when I try calling my number it says "your call cannot be completed as dialed'

@CountyDownIeUk wrote:

Just saying......I prefer a good used product vs a refurbished one.  Is it possible that the phone had a defect and/or was not refurbished/checked out properly before it was shipped to you?

I concur. You never know who 'refurbished' product. Maybe it was just - ah, it powers on, no deep scratches - good to go.

The only drawback of 'used in excellent condition' might be battery life. And with last few phone generations it is almost impossible to replace battery by ordinary user.

pkaraa
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

A factory reset is recommended.

Call settings needs to be changed to 3G/WCDMA.

For data see If you can modify the existing APN settings and making it default instead of inserting new settings.

toggle between airplane mode on/off can reset the data settings too.

@CountyDownIeUk wrote:

Just saying......I prefer a good used product vs a refurbished one.  Is it possible that the phone had a defect and/or was not refurbished/checked out properly before it was shipped to you?

definitely possible... i remember there was another posts that the phone was not factory reset properly.  But in OP case, we have a new account, new CPO phones, 2 "news" make it hard to determine who is the weakest link

@Chris38 wrote:

I've tried all the suggestions. Still no proper connection. I've opened a support ticket 

@Chris38   Since you have a new activation, it could either be the account issue or phone.  It would be nice if you have another SIM card, a working SIM,  to test out the phone.  

Also , to check the SIM/account, it would be good if you can test out on another phone, another one that known to be working.   Data could be an APN issue and could be hard to troubleshoot , but calls could be very easy to test

Chris38

I've tried all the suggestions. Still no proper connection. I've opened a support ticket 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Chris38 

try to do  factory reset SAMSUNG Galaxy S10

if you're not happy in the first 30 days, return it for a refund.

CPO Warranty, Returns & Repair (publicmobile.ca)

and you need to Contact Customer Support Agent by CS_Agent, and Explain your issue to 
they can solve your issue, they are nice Service Team they will help you 100%.

Here’s How To Contact Customer Support Agent by CS_Agent,and Submit a Ticket,

Spoiler
  • Get help with your account the easy way by starting a conversation with our virtual assistant, SIMon. It’ll take you to relevant help articles, or if it’s something more urgent, it can help you submit a ticket to Customer Support Agent by CS_Agent,Click Here link,to get started. Type,, Ticket ,, Click ,, Contact Us ,, Select your issue ,,
    Click here to submit a ticket↗↗.

• or you can send a private message to Customer Support Agent by CS_Agent, by Click Here link,
  • please include in your message,
  • phone number,
  • account number, 
  • account 4 digit pin,
  • Email address,

• Customer Support Agent by CS_Agent, will Response to your inbox by private message 
  • During business hours, we strive to answer customer messages swiftly. You will often get an answer within an hour. During peak periods, you may need to wait up to 48 hours.Customer Support Agents are available:
    • Monday to Sunday: 6 AM to 10 PM EST

Check your private message inbox (click on the envelope top right of your screen)

Good Luck...

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@Chris38   since it is a new phone, I agree that you should do a factory reset, re-setup with your PM SIM inside.  It should pickup PM APN without issue after  a reset

dabr
Mayor / Maire

@Chris38 wrote:

Hey

I ordered a galaxy s10 online through public. Mobile. 

It arrived today and I put in the SIM, went online and activated it with a new phone number. I can make calls (shows private number) , can't receive calls and no data. I've added apn settings. There are two other APNs that I can't remove, so I added a new APN with settings based on what public mobile recommends.

Still no data, and can't receive calls.

Its been a couple hours now, I've rebooted a bunch of times.

What am I forgetting?

Thanks in advance. 

@Chris38    If you selected a new number then all your phone services should be working straight away, although there could be incorrect entries for the APN settings affecting the data.

You could try removing and reinserting the SIM or toggling airplane mode on/off.  Also perhaps a network reset.   Another thought is to change your network setting to 3G/WCDMA as Telus is upgrading equipment which is affecting customers in certain regions.

Otherwise you'll need to submit a ticket via chatbot for customer support here:  https://widget.telus.tiia.ai/publicmobile/publicmobile.html

Second option is to send a private message to CS_Agent here:  https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@Chris38 , are you able to confirm that the self serve account is active?  Try doing a network reset.  Since you obtained a new phone number, you should be able to receive calls if you can make calls as there is no number transfer involved here.  If you created a new APN, make sure that it is selected as the default APN otherwise the phone might be using one of the existing APNs even if it is wrong.  Existing APNs are taken from a read only file resident on the phone, so they cannot be deleted.  

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Chris38 : Since it's a new to you phone but used...maybe do a full-on everything factory reset.

Need Help? Let's chat.