cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Sim activated but can't make/receive calls

Joelk
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi,

I just activated a sim on Saturday and my phone connects to the network and everything.

But I cannot make a call it just instantly says "call ended", and if I try to call my number and it just goes to voicemail.

I left myself a voicemail and it showed up that I had a voicemail on my phone, but when I tried to check my voicemail it just did the same thing instantly saying Call Ended.

Just wondering if anyone know's what is going on?

@Shazia_K @Mary_M @Saray_O  @Caroline_D

Thanks,

Joel

25 REPLIES 25

Joelk

@computergeek541That is kind of what I was thinking with the APN. But I just want to get the phone working so I will try anything I can lol.

@Joelk wrote:

I manually put the APN in on the Moto, can't see the network setting on the other phone.

One thing I did find that is weird is that in the phone app I can't access Call Forwarding settings or Additional settings. it just has a popup that says "Network or SIM card error".

Also, don't know if this has any effect on this or not, but I found out my previous provider did not release the ESN till this morning

From what I see in your previous messages, it looks like you are on a voice only plan.  If that is the case, there's no reason even to touch the APN settings. If you're only using voice services,  changing/entering/modifying APN settings won't do a thing for you.

But even if you do have an active data package on your account,  APN settings never have any effect on voice calling.  For voice calling, your APN settings could be totally messed up or even left blank or deleted, and you voice calls would still work 100%.

Mana
Mayor / Maire

Maybe try another factory reset now and try again. 

Joelk

I manually put the APN in on the Moto, can't see the network setting on the other phone.

One thing I did find that is weird is that in the phone app I can't access Call Forwarding settings or Additional settings. it just has a popup that says "Network or SIM card error".

Also, don't know if this has any effect on this or not, but I found out my previous provider did not release the ESN till this morning

Mana
Mayor / Maire
Can you compare the mobile network and APN settings between the two phones?

Joelk

Moto E 2nd gen

Mana
Mayor / Maire
What phone do you have again?

If everything works fine with the other phone with your sim in it then it's not your sim and it's not a service related issue, it's most likely your phone.

Joelk

@Manathanks for your help. I put my sim in my Telus phone and can make a call like that, however, on my unlocked phone it is still just going to call ended.

I'm thinking it is my phone?

Mana
Mayor / Maire

@Joelk Please power down the relics phone, insert your PM sim and give it a try. 

you out may need to set the mobile network to PM and APN to PM if it does t work after power cycling. 

To private message a mod, please go back to your initial post where you shout out or tagged mods, then click on a mods name and depending on your device, you will either see a option for sending a private message in a drop down menu or on the next screen on your right hand corner underneath the mods name. 

If if you still need help, please leave a message here. 

Hope this helps

thanks

Joelk

@Mana wrote:

If you can perhaps find a family or a friend's unlock phone and try your sim in it that would help. 

If not or if still doesn't work, please trying messaging a mod in the morning. 

I could put it in a Telus phone, not sure if the Telus phone would have to be unlocked or not as PM runs on their network.

Also, not sure how to message a mod, I did shout out to some mod usernames in my first post.

Mana
Mayor / Maire

If you can perhaps find a family or a friend's unlock phone and try your sim in it that would help. 

If not or if still doesn't work, please trying messaging a mod in the morning. 

Joelk

@Mana wrote:
Hi,
You mentioned that you were able to call your voice mail but if you call your number from another phone, are you receiving incoming calls?

Also, please check your call settings.

Sorry if what I said before was confusing, If I call my new PM number from other phones I go straight to voicemail, and then it shows up on my PM phone that I have a voicemail.

But if I try to my voicemail from my PM phone it instantly hangs up saying call ended.

Definitely odd behaviour if the phone used to work on another Canadian network. Some additional suggestions:

- go to settings, then general-profile and make sure that there is no existing profile, if there is a profile delete it

- check network is not set to 2G; use 3G and if that works then try auto

- check for operating system updates

- remove sim for 5 minutes, then install and reboot

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

Mana
Mayor / Maire
Hi,
You mentioned that you were able to call your voice mail but if you call your number from another phone, are you receiving incoming calls?

Also, please check your call settings.

Joelk

@Joelk wrote:

@ShawnC13 wrote:

It may I have just read on here that some phones do need a reset I am not sure which ones.

Well, I'll try it out, Nothing to lose 🙂

Still the same thing after factory reset 😞

Joelk

@Luddite wrote:

What message is showing on the phone; No SIM, No Service, Public Mobile with bars, Enter code, etc.?

Definitive test: your SIM in another known unlocked phone; another active SIM in your phone.

Public Mobile with bars,

Don't have another unlocked phone to try it in 😞

Joelk

@ShawnC13 wrote:

It may I have just read on here that some phones do need a reset I am not sure which ones.

Well, I'll try it out, Nothing to lose 🙂

What message is showing on the phone; No SIM, No Service, Public Mobile with bars, Enter code, etc.?

Definitive test: your SIM in another known unlocked phone; another active SIM in your phone.

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

Joelk

@ShawnC13 wrote:

What type of phone are you using as some require a factory reset I have read on here

Moto E 2nd Gen LTE

I could give that a go and see what happens, just didn't know if it was something on PM's side though as the phone seems like it should work.

Joelk

@mimmo wrote:

what does your plan options say in selfserve?

does data work? 

My Plan
Pick & Pay

• This plan includes: -
  • - Unlimited Provincial Talk

What type of phone are you using as some require a factory reset I have read on here

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

what does your plan options say in selfserve?

does data work? 

Joelk

@ShawnC13 wrote:

Did you port over a number from a previous provider?  Can you send and receive texts?

Hi Shawn,

Nope, it is a new number from PM, I don't have texting on my plan just calling. (wanting to check out what their service is like in my area)

But if I do text I get one back from 611 saying, You do not have texting on your plan or something like that.

ShawnC13
Oracle
Oracle

Did you port over a number from a previous provider?  Can you send and receive texts?

Need Help? Let's chat.